advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Report on Zvox AV157 AccuVoice TV Speaker
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 24, 2021 04:51PM
Several days ago Davemchine asked about mounting a soundbar under a tv. The discussion moved on and Grateful11 asked if anybody has used one of the Zvox TV speakers that boosts voices to make them easier to understand. I was intrigued and looked into it, told my wife about it and she said get one. It came in 3 days-impressive-and it took just a couple of minutes to set up. I said I'd report back on how we like it.

Here's the original thread: [forums.macresource.com]

The thing is great. We watched the first 15 min of MI 6, then 15 min of a Downton Abbey show, then 15 min of a House episode, and finally 15 min of 24, flipping through the various options. For me the ultimate test was watching 15 min of 24 where Kiefer Sutherland seems to whisper all the time! We could hear the dialogue in all of them even with the background music (MI6), the British accents (that I've always had trouble with) and the low voice volumes in House and 24. There are 6 levels of AccuVoice and 6 levels of SuperVoice. They say that SuperVoice has extreme voice clarity for people with hearing loss. I didn't try that because the lower level of adaption, AccuVoice, worked fine for us. Flipping through the 6 levels of AccuVoice, voices became more distinct from background noise. However, they also started to sound more "tinny" for lack of a better word (my wife says they're just louder but I think I hear a change in sound frequency, as well). I found that Level 2 worked well for House and 24 and Level 3 for MI6 and Downton Abbey. By the time they got to Level 6 they were very clear but didn't sound as realistic. I'd imagine for somebody with hearing loss the tinnyness would be fine if voices could actually be heard. I was able to have the my Vizio remote learn the Zvox volume, mute and on/off without any problem. So, the Zvox remote will just sit by the side in case I want to change the AccuVoice levels again.

For me, the best indication that this was a good purchase was my wife declaring spontaneously, "That sounds much better." when I turned on AccuVoice. I think it's absolutely worth the $120 on HSN that I paid. HSN also has the AV100 that apparently has 6 levels of AccuVoice and doesn't mention SuperVoice. It's $90 and is quite a bit smaller in size. I imagine it would be fine for most people since the SuperVoice option on the AV157 is explicit about being for more significant hearing problems. But, I also wonder if the 20" AV157 might have bigger speakers than the 10" AV100. I dunno but I'm going to keep this and we'll probably buy another for the TV that my wife usually watches.

Thanks, Gratefull11, for asking about this. It's going to make our TV watching substantially better!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Report on Zvox AV157 AccuVoice TV Speaker
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 24, 2021 05:16PM
Thanks for the followup. I wonder how this compares to my 5.I Vizio sound bar, which allows me to set the center channel volume independently of the other speakers.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 24, 2021 05:22PM
Cary
Thanks for the followup. I wonder how this compares to my 5.I Vizio sound bar, which allows me to set the center channel volume independently of the other speakers.

I was thinking the same thing last thread. Id like to get a bar/2.1 setup, and several mention the option for adjusting the center channel. My wife struggles with her hearing as well, but only very slightly.

She loves her iPad Pro since it has stereo speakers (sound is awesome), but its often loud...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 24, 2021 07:05PM
My father has a sound bar from the same company for the same reasons. His wife has hearing loss and this helps make voices more clear.

It is sometimes frustrating that when I watch older TV shows the voices are extremely clear but watching a more modern TV show the voices are muddy and quiet. I don’t know why they do that.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 24, 2021 07:49PM
The 'tinniness' is the boost of higher frequencies most of us lose to varying degrees, as we age.

So if it sound tinny, then one's hearing is better than that range would suggest.

An interesting test would be an episode or two of Taboo (2017), a period Brit series with Tom Hardy mumbling is way through the show.

Or, it was badly mixed by the engineers.

Either way it got some scathing rants for being mostly unintelligible.

I might try the speaker, as I have a hearing loss in one ear in the midrange where most talking is heard.

But even with excellent headphones, repeated listening, playing with EQ and volume, I still can't understand a bits of audio.

Some shows have subtitles and when turning them on to 'reveal' an unintelligible bit, I'm thinking 'there's no way to have understood what he/she said!'.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 24, 2021 10:37PM
Michael thanks for getting back and the review. Our old Vizio soundbar helps some but not great. I may just have to get one of these because of my hearing loss and tinnitus. I've resorted to closed captions on some shows.
Thanks again.

Grateful11
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 24, 2021 11:55PM
Yes, I'll add my thanks as I'll probably be getting this or something like it for my parents.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 25, 2021 10:39AM
Techmoan did a review of a TV speaker for persons of age...
[www.youtube.com]

"If you have trouble hearing the TV across a room this wireless Sony speaker might be the answer. It receives the audio from the TV - boosts the vocals and enables you bring the sound closer to where you sit."
[www.amazon.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020