advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
icemaker works, but...
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 24, 2021 08:27PM
We've had issues with our icemaker in the past, but researching showed me the way to get it working again. It was a matter of cubes jamming when they're ejected by the 'fingers' of the icemaker itself. We notice it only because the basket doesn't refill itself with cubes. So I learned how to remove the front part of the housing, then just remove those hunks of cubes that get jammed up in there. Put the housing back on, put the basket back, and by the next morning it's full again.

Well, the problem is that while it used to occur maybe once every couple of months, now I'm finding I have to do the routine pretty much weekly if we want to consistently have a bucket full of ice. So the ice maker makes the ice fine, it just seems to get stuck dropping the cubes down into the bucket.

Like most icemakers, this thing produces those half-moon shaped cubes. (Hmm, I guess if it's half moon shaped, it's not a cube is it? Well, you know what I mean.) Anyway, I've noticed that the ones that seem to get jammed are when the cubes don't break apart and stay in their little four-pack. That's probably why they get stuck.

So what to do? I'm happy the thing isn't broken and continues to manufacture ice. And I'm glad the remedy isn't a major pain in the butt, but still it seems there must be a simple solution. What say y'all?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: icemaker works, but...
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 24, 2021 08:36PM
it just seems to get stuck dropping the cubes down into the bucket.

WD40?
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 25, 2021 05:09AM
I'd bet that if there was a way to reduce the amount of water that goes into the ice maker for a given set of cubes, it would keep them from staying connected at the top. That's what I'd search for with the refrig name and model number first.
Posted by: jardster
Date: February 25, 2021 05:53AM
I had a similar problem with mine. After youtubing it... realized that it was the heating element on the bottom of the icemaker. Normally, it heats up just a little before the ice is ejected, but when that fails the ice can't come out normally.

I had to take out the entire ice maker (which was a PIA), but replacing the heating element was easy, and it's been smooth sailing since.

Date: February 25, 2021 06:46AM
Ugh. Yeah, my early research indicated the heating aspect. I don't relish the thought of removing the icemaker if I don't really have to. For now I'll deal with the inconvenience. Thanks.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 25, 2021 11:26AM
I learned a trick from one of my customers that may solve your problem. When you have cleaned out the ice tray, and it is dry, spray some Pam in the cavities. Blot out the excess /liquid Pam and see if that works.

The problem arises because of minerals in the water sticking to the ice tray over the years. Eventually the surface is no longer smooth, and the ice cubes can grip the surface. There is a heater rod under the ice tray that is supposed to melt the bottom surface of the ice tray just before dumping the cubes. That heater is not replaceable -but you do get a new working heater when you buy a new ice maker. You need the model number of the refrigerator that is inside the fresh food (not freezer) compartment. It is on a label/tag. Do NOT use the model number you find on the door. That one is incomplete and can get you replacement parts that won't fit.

wurm
We've had issues with our icemaker in the past, but researching showed me the way to get it working again. It was a matter of cubes jamming when they're ejected by the 'fingers' of the icemaker itself. We notice it only because the basket doesn't refill itself with cubes. So I learned how to remove the front part of the housing, then just remove those hunks of cubes that get jammed up in there. Put the housing back on, put the basket back, and by the next morning it's full again.

Well, the problem is that while it used to occur maybe once every couple of months, now I'm finding I have to do the routine pretty much weekly if we want to consistently have a bucket full of ice. So the ice maker makes the ice fine, it just seems to get stuck dropping the cubes down into the bucket.

Like most icemakers, this thing produces those half-moon shaped cubes. (Hmm, I guess if it's half moon shaped, it's not a cube is it? Well, you know what I mean.) Anyway, I've noticed that the ones that seem to get jammed are when the cubes don't break apart and stay in their little four-pack. That's probably why they get stuck.

So what to do? I'm happy the thing isn't broken and continues to manufacture ice. And I'm glad the remedy isn't a major pain in the butt, but still it seems there must be a simple solution. What say y'all?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: February 25, 2021 12:34PM
Thanks. Funny you mention hitting it with Pam. I was going to reply to space-time's suggestion of WD-40 with a Pam comment, but decided to delete it. Certainly worth a shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020