Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch throws some shade on my exercise
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 25, 2021 07:34AM
Shade
trying to act in a slick, or casual manner by using something against someone, disrespecting, insulting, judging, etc.

On a casual walk because it was not freezing outside and turned on the Walking Outside workout.
Despite walking a half mile, slightly gimpy, Apple Watch buzzes my wrist and I asks me if I want to end my workout due to inactivity. Looks like Apple engineers built in some shade for people who move too slow.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2021 07:37AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch throws some shade on my exercise
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 25, 2021 08:40AM
Instead of Walking Outside, you should have chosen Senior Stroll.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 25, 2021 08:44AM
When I received my Apple Watch series 0 the same thing happened to me. I was still recovering from back problems and I couldn't walk very fast. I was told that heart rate is a factor in determining wether the watch will count it as exercise or simply movement.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 25, 2021 09:47AM
Disable the automatic start/stop if your workout is a walk or jog.

The d@mned thing will ask if you want to end your workout at every streetcorner where you have to wait for the light to change.

Posted by: Michael
Date: February 25, 2021 12:53PM
Mine often doesn't count an outdoor walk (or golf) as exercise for me while my wife's does for her. I presume it's because she's taking many more steps with her rather shorter stride so (I presume) her heart rate meets their standard while mine does not. Today we walked 18 holes of golf and on hole 17 is showed I had 18 min of exercise even though I had walked 11,000 steps over 3 hours as we were playing. So, I run "Other" workout when I walk with my wife because it counts everything toward exercise when it's running. I want my credit!!!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 25, 2021 02:19PM
For an outdoor walk, one needs to do a 20min mile, which is about what Apple thinks is a 'brisk walk' to earn 'Exercise' minutes.

Keeping your arm on which you wear your watch moving, is important for the Watch to know you're moving actively.

Put your hands (or your 'Watch hand' in your pocket and the Watch thinks your resting.

In my experience, I can slow down a lot but as long as I'm moving, the Watch doesn't nag.

I won't earn any Exercise minutes to close that ring, but it won't nag.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 25, 2021 02:35PM
well, did you end your workout?

FWIW I think this highlights the main difference between an apple watch and a garmin watch. The apple watch is a smart watch thats sometimes useful for exercise. The garmin watch is an exercise watch that sometimes does smarth functions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2021 02:36PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Diana
Date: February 25, 2021 05:04PM
My Apple Watch does not count my “outside walk” as exercise (it used to but not any longer). The 20-minute mile being a brisk walk would equate to a run for me, as I average 22-23 minutes a mile. At that rate I’m huffing and puffing and can’t speak if I try to go faster and feel like my chest is going to explode. For reference, I’m 5’3” and heavier than I should be, and suffer from a common heart problem (a small hole in the heart between the two upper chambers, one that 25% of the adult population has to some degree).

There SHOULD be something that incorporates one’s height and weight/BMI that calculates a reasonable “brisk walk” that then fine-tunes based on heart rate.

Diana
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 25, 2021 08:40PM
Diana
My Apple Watch does not count my “outside walk” as exercise (it used to but not any longer). The 20-minute mile being a brisk walk would equate to a run for me, as I average 22-23 minutes a mile. At that rate I’m huffing and puffing and can’t speak if I try to go faster and feel like my chest is going to explode. For reference, I’m 5’3” and heavier than I should be, and suffer from a common heart problem (a small hole in the heart between the two upper chambers, one that 25% of the adult population has to some degree).

There SHOULD be something that incorporates one’s height and weight/BMI that calculates a reasonable “brisk walk” that then fine-tunes based on heart rate.

Diana

in your case try using the Other Workout. judging by the range of posts i read on Reddit about this AW does take personal health data into account. a 20 minute mile is not a one size fits all for a brisk walk. i've read of couples on the same walk getting very different readings with the fit member getting fewer exercise minutes than their less fit partner. the pace has to be brisk for you. I know if my heart rate is below 90 it won't count as an exercise minute.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 25, 2021 09:45PM
in your case try using the Other Workout.

Good advice, gl.

But I don't think it takes anything into account other than time.

I think it exists just for circumstances like Diana's and others, where the Watch just doesn't have a 'compatible' exercise.

Fine tuning the Outdoor Walk would certainly be a better option though, as it would maintain a standard to be met, instead of just filling time.

I believe the Other Workout merely serves as a timer, as long as one is actually moving.

My Outdoor Walks are usually ~1hr at 20min/mi.

That's currently the edge of my performance envelope due to an injury.

Rather than push that edge, I sometimes just walk longer but at a lower pace, but at least I get that one hour.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: February 26, 2021 01:13AM
RAMd®d
in your case try using the Other Workout.

Good advice, gl.

But I don't think it takes anything into account other than time.

I think it exists just for circumstances like Diana's and others, where the Watch just doesn't have a 'compatible' exercise.

I believe the Other Workout merely serves as a timer, as long as one is actually moving.

Other definitely considers effort. I use when i mow the lawn. Sometimes I forget to activate it and though Activity will move a little for the mowing it moves a whole lot more in a similar timeframe once I turn it on. I think it's because AW is monitoring heart rate constantly which AW doesn't do when not in a workout. As an unscientific test i just ran Other for 1 minute and it registered 4 active calories. I was sitting still at my desk. I then started it for another minute but this time i was jogging in place. it registered 8 active calories. the increased effort mattered.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 26, 2021 06:00AM
Other definitely considers effort.

The basic Apple workouts are aerobic driven.

If one's combination of heart rate, GPS, and accelerometer signals drop below some metric Apple considers less than a brisk walk, one stops accruing Exercise minutes.

This is what happens for Diana, as she can't maintain the pace for a 20min mile.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that she was referring to the Exercise ring.

So yes, Other does track calories if the sensors are sufficiently active for an aerobic activity, and credits them towards the Move ring.

But unlike the other basic Activity apps, Other gives Exercise minute/minute anytime the sensors show one isn't active at a 'brisk walk' level.

Even if one was lounging by the pool, Other will give an Exercise minute for each elapsed minute, and close both the Exercise and Move rings.

In a 60min Outdoor Walk, one subject might score 60 Exercise min.

Another subject might get 45 Exercise minutes out of that 60min walk because they slowed from time to time.

Using the Other app, a subject would score 60 Exercise minutes in 60min, regardless of activity.

It allows one to complete both the Exercise and Move rings without really completing them, at least not at Apple's metric of a brisk walk.

I confess I pay no heed to calories, and concentrate on distance/time.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 26, 2021 09:48AM
mattkime
well, did you end your workout?

I was so demoralized that I ended the workout and went home and ate snacks.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: February 26, 2021 11:42AM
Ram -

Other won’t let you totally cheat by lounging. i was on a road trip and wanted to close my exercise ring. i tried starting Other Workout while driving. It kept pausing giving me the “it seems like you stopped. would you like to end the workout now” message. So you do have to have some movement.

Now, the stand ring can be gamed by swinging your arm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 427
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020