advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best way to convert dvd of tv shows to mp4
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 26, 2021 03:01PM
Looking to convert a few dvd's of old tv shows to mp4. If I use Handbrake, it looks like I have to process each episode separately. Is there a faster way to convert each episode to it's own file?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best way to convert dvd of tv shows to mp4
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 26, 2021 03:09PM
You can add all the titles to handbrake so it will do them all.

Posted by: John B.
Date: February 26, 2021 03:11PM
Handbrake and MDRP will both batch all of the episodes on the disc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 26, 2021 03:12PM
I don't think there's any fast way to do this.

Each of the .vob files from a DVD rip do not necessarily correspond to one episode of a tv show. In fact, there might be parts of two shows on one file, and often are. One episode might span multiple .vob files.

To make things worse, things are not always in order. For example, episode one might start on .vob file number 5.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 26, 2021 03:20PM
It's a three step process for me.

1) Sometimes the shows are out of order on the DVD so it's important to confirm with imdb that the order is correct before naming your files.

2) Use handbrake to rip and name files appropriately "show name-season & episode" so it would look like "Riptide-S01E01". Handbrake can queue all the content of the disc so it's pretty easy.

3) Dump the files into iFlicks which adds the metadata and adds to iTunes.

4) If you are worried about getting the metadata perfect it can be worthwhile to do a quick viewing in iTunes to make sure everything is correct.
Posted by: John B.
Date: February 26, 2021 03:27PM
davemchine has the workflow pretty well down. I did similar, going to Plex instead of iTunes. I found the default naming varied from disc-to-disc on many sets, so you do have to name each of the files what you want/need based on what your media server expects.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 26, 2021 03:44PM
Filebot is my goto renaming tool for TV Shows and Movies. It queries a variety of db's and matches your shows based on the smallest amount of info. So if you have your files named s01e01 etc in a folder called NCIS: Tarpon Springs, it will find the show and rename them all accordingly. Plus you can adjust the results so it follow the naming convention you prefer.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 26, 2021 03:49PM
Handbrake has a setting where it will rip the titles separately and automatically name them uniquely. This speeds things up a bit, but you'd still need to check each file and probably rename it to ensure that the episodes are ordered properly.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 26, 2021 06:43PM
I use iFlicks post rules to rename episode names prior to importing into iTunes. That insures the resulting file name (in iTunes) and episode name are identical and look like "Riptide-S01E01 episode name". Like John I use Plex almost exclusively for playback and I feel confident this method would allow me to migrate to whatever is needed at the drop of a hat.

The Filebot program Bazookaman mentioned sounds very handy. I'll be checking that out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 447
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020