advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Online Toilet Paper Value Calculator - easy and gentle for you
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 26, 2021 09:32PM
Victor Ly, a social worker from San Francisco and a hobbyist deal hunter who goes by TofuVic online. He started a spreadsheet to break down the price per sheet, and the project ballooned into the Toilet Paper Value Calculator [tetrion.com] , which allows you to input the number of rolls per package, the number of sheets per roll, and the price before it spits out a value rating.

“With a price point for reference, you can easily figure out if a sale is actually a good deal, so you can save time while shopping both in-store and online,” Ly says.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Online Toilet Paper Value Calculator - easy and gentle for you
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 26, 2021 11:38PM
Isn't his whole method of calculating flawed, he's assuming that sheets from different brands are the exact same size and doesn't treat 1-ply vs 2-ply any different. It would be better if he was calculating square inches of paper.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 27, 2021 06:48AM
GGD
Isn't his whole method of calculating flawed, he's assuming that sheets from different brands are the exact same size and doesn't treat 1-ply vs 2-ply any different. It would be better if he was calculating square inches of paper.

Or weight.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 27, 2021 07:39AM
We buy Sam's Members Mark 45 rolls, 245 sheets per roll. This calculator is telling me it's $0.19/sheet, that's not right.

Grateful11
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: February 27, 2021 07:56AM
Grateful11
We buy Sam's Members Mark 45 rolls, 245 sheets per roll. This calculator is telling me it's $0.19/sheet, that's not right.

We buy the same thing. It should work out to be $.0019 @ sheet if the package of 45 costs $21. IIRC, we pay somewhat less than that.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: February 27, 2021 08:01AM
MindMeld
Grateful11

We buy the same thing. It should work out to be $.0019 @ sheet if the package of 45 costs $21. IIRC, we pay somewhat less than that.

However, looking at their calculation results, they show .190 cents rather than $0.19, so I believe it is accurate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 27, 2021 08:08AM
oh crap, I have better things to do than worry about the cents per wipe. Maybe calculate the cost of water based on the number of times you flush, and volume of water per flush. Something to do while on the lou.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 27, 2021 08:46AM
GGD,

If you're going to get that technical, yes. The calculator isn't truly accurate. You can even factor in the thickness of each ply. Morcon Moresoft M2000 1-ply bath tissue is thinner than Morcon Moresoft M1500 1-ply bath tissue which is thinner than Scott Scottissue 1000 1-ply bath tissue. The M2000 is so thin that you may as well save yourself time, money and cleanup and just wipe your butt with a bare hand and be done with it.

That said, the size of each sheet of bath tissue for consumer and commercial dispensers is generally standardized. The exception is commercial bath tissue geared for more specialized dispensers. You might see these in the public restroom of an office building rather than in the restroom within a specific business. Think the kind you see on a floor which houses multiple businesses or service providers. here are some examples:

[www.officecrave.com]

[www.officecrave.com]

[www.officecrave.com]

[www.officecrave.com]

If you like 1-ply bath tissue, you just buy 1-ply bath tissue. If you want to use the calculator, you base your purchase on the # of sheets per roll and # of rolls per pack and how much you're paying for the package. Think 300 sheets per roll, 12 rolls per pack, for $X amount of dollars for the entire package.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 27, 2021 09:16AM
All I need to know is not to by Kirkland brand 2-ply that's thinner than 1-ply of anybody else's brand.

For awhile Costco carried both Kirkland and Charmin, but the latter wasn't there last week.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 27, 2021 09:58AM
MindMeld
Grateful11

That's what I came up with too.

Grateful11
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 27, 2021 10:51AM
In the article accompanying this link, it noted that quality is not covered by this calculator. Also it noted that sheet size varied.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 27, 2021 11:08AM
Actually Robert M, there is only a de facto standard for sheet size, and it has changed over the years. Rolls are narrower and sheets a bit shorter than they used to be. This sometimes becomes a problem in older houses with some types of built-in dispensers, many of the rolls sold now are too narrow.

The major brands at least keep their sheet sizes about the same as their competitors, but no guarantees. With commercial toilet paper the sellers often give away dispensers for free or cheaply, the rolls they provide are custom sized for their brand of dispenser and tie you into getting their brand.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 27, 2021 11:21AM
JoeH,

You didn't read my post carefully, did you? I said the size of each site is generally standardized. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 27, 2021 12:25PM
Easy remedy... [www.youtube.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 27, 2021 02:06PM
RAMd®d
All I need to know is not to by Kirkland brand 2-ply that's thinner than 1-ply of anybody else's brand . . .

Ain’t that the truth. I have to double each sheet it after it comes off the roll.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020