advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice on Time Machine setup
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 27, 2021 01:57PM
I'd like to go with a centralized Time Machine setup for three laptops and a desktop (all Macs, obviously)

I have a Synology RT2600ac router (I like it and recommend it) which has a USB 3.0 connector which I used with an old HD to stream media with no problem. I'm thinking of buying a 4TB or 6TB HD, formatting it into 4 volumes, and assigning a volume for a Time Machine instance for each computer.

Any reason that wouldn't work? Seems like it ought to. If the Synology were an NAS, I"d just go ahead, but given that this is slightly different, I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone has any advice.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice on Time Machine setup
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 27, 2021 02:05PM
don't split it into 4 volumes. What do you do when one volume runs out? it's hard to change partition sizes later. Just use one volume for all the machines. each machine will back up to a disk image, which grows as necessary.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 27, 2021 02:10PM
Tried this with a couple of different routers, had problems with corruption of the backups. I had wanted to reduce overhead to my Mac server, but ultimately hung a backup drive on the server for network backups. (Note that any Mac running a recent version of the macOS can run a Time Machine service for the network via the Sharing pref's. You don't need a Mac running macOS Server software.)

Might find this educational:
[community.synology.com]

Posted by: hal
Date: February 27, 2021 02:10PM
There is no need to partition - each backup with be in its own folder on the backup drive. Partitioning only adds another layer of something that can break while not providing any benefits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020