advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MRF Exclusive! First Test with a Starlink Dish!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 27, 2021 06:11PM
Got my Starlink Dish last week, and got my act together (mostly) to get it installed today.

Well, OK, to be honest, it's sitting in the back yard with not quite enough sky. I have a very nice Amazon procured antenna mount attached to the 2x6 fascia... but alas, I failed to consider that once mounted, its top is now above what I can safely and sanely reach with my 5' household ladder. Meaning, I cannot (today) attach the DISH to the MOUNT. The factory supplied mount is a short little tripod that I COULD screw to the roof, but don't really want to drive screws through the shingles.

So, mounting on the house will happen in the very first 10 minute window when my buddy with a selection of professional grade ladders has time to swing by.

Once I plugged it in, and started the Starlink iPhone App, it asked me to name my Wireless Router and give it a password. That was it. The dish started angling and panning, and has ended up pointed ALMOST straight up, but a few degrees "north" of straight up. It took about 10 minutes of the dish fidgeting around until it was comfy, and then I connected my iPhone 8 to the Starlink WiFi Router, went directly to Speedtest.net and clicked "Go".

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MRF Exclusive! First Test with a Starlink Dish!
Date: February 27, 2021 06:27PM
I forgot to mention... this was the sum total of the installation instructions.... smiling smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 27, 2021 06:32PM
Drive that stake through the evil HughsNet’s heart!

Oh, and congratulations.

=wr=
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 27, 2021 06:38PM
Congratulations. Speed looks very impressive.

Do you have to use their WiFi router, is it pretty much a standard router with Ethernet going into a WAN port, and could you replace it with your own router?

What is that two port device between the dish and router? Looks like it might be a PoE power supply. Is it standard Ethernet cabling between both? Wondering how long the cable is to the dish and if you need more length if you can easily make a longer run.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 27, 2021 06:42PM
So, IKEA is doing the instructions for them? Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: February 27, 2021 06:52PM
GGD
Congratulations. Speed looks very impressive.

Do you have to use their WiFi router, is it pretty much a standard router with Ethernet going into a WAN port, and could you replace it with your own router?

What is that two port device between the dish and router? Looks like it might be a PoE power supply. Is it standard Ethernet cabling between both? Wondering how long the cable is to the dish and if you need more length if you can easily make a longer run.

The cables are a shielded 4 pair twisted pair with RJ-45 ends. Others have swapped them with Cat-5e or Cat-6, and they worked... but, since that PoE injector device in the middle runs higher than normal PoE voltage, it's "not recommended".

Other users have reported they can swap the supplied Router with a different WiFi Router... Starlink even mentions this in their FAQ, but it's officially unsupported. Others have had it work pretty much "plug and play" though. I am sticking with the supplied router for now - no sense borrowing trouble with a "Beta" product by throwing more variables in. I may try a different router just for giggles later.

Tried running streaming video on three devices... it worked. :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 27, 2021 06:52PM
Damn that ping ! Wow.
Date: February 27, 2021 07:10PM
cbelt3
Damn that ping ! Wow.

If the Starlink satellites were any lower, they'd need Air Traffic Control clearance and a flight plan. :-)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 27, 2021 07:15PM
Do you have a Kill-A-Watt you can run that power supply through, I understand it uses quite a bit of power (compared to a cable modem), just wondering how that varies based on the type of network activity going on.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 27, 2021 08:13PM
Oooooh nice! I'm kind of jealous. Our cable service is mostly okay. When it works we get about 200Mbps down...but right now, with town loaded with tourists, it's likely closer to 100Mbps.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: February 27, 2021 08:45PM
GGD
Do you have a Kill-A-Watt you can run that power supply through, I understand it uses quite a bit of power (compared to a cable modem), just wondering how that varies based on the type of network activity going on.

Unfortunately, I don't. I have read reports that it takes approximately 80 watts, though. More than ideal, for sure, but it DOES have to transmit to ORBIT, after all...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 27, 2021 08:47PM
Markintosh
Oooooh nice! I'm kind of jealous. Our cable service is mostly okay. When it works we get about 200Mbps down...but right now, with town loaded with tourists, it's likely closer to 100Mbps.

My Cable plan (costing me $115/mo) is "Up to 50Mbps"... in reality it's closer to 30 on a good day.
Starlink is looking like it's going to be 100mbps, at least in the few hours I've been using it. I'm happy with that!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 27, 2021 08:59PM
Interesting. Keep us updated on any seasonal or weather aspects!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 27, 2021 09:10PM
Awesome!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 27, 2021 09:45PM
Sweet. Screw flying cars. big grin smiley
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 27, 2021 10:00PM
“ My Cable plan (costing me $115/mo) “

What are you paying for Starlink’s service?
Date: February 27, 2021 11:04PM
btfc
“ My Cable plan (costing me $115/mo) “

What are you paying for Starlink’s service?

$99/mo. Not great for most folks with Cable (since most folks pay less than I do), and not for anyone with Fiber.... but, works for me.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: February 28, 2021 02:36AM
That is so cool!

It’s going to be fun watching this deploy at scale and see how the speeds hold up.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 28, 2021 05:05AM
The dish started angling and panning

Ok, that's a tiny bit creepy but a whole lotta cool!

It certainly beats someone aiming the dish while someone else is looking at a signal strength graphic saying "A little more... More... More... Too much, go back... More... More, NO..." etc.

If I were to go cable, which won't happen, I'd have to get a package to get internet cheaper than Sonic, and I don't know that I could get one cheaper than $99 or much less, unless it was Uber Basic cable.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: carl
Date: February 28, 2021 09:11AM
Very cool!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 28, 2021 09:22AM
Paul, do you have any sort of way to test streaming from your site to the internet? That is the biggest issue I have heard of. My impression is streaming platforms/MMO's look at average speed upstream and then tend to choke when it briefly dips during the regular switches between satellites.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 28, 2021 09:35AM
PS I liked the warning at the end! Uh oh, you posted to MRF without using a VPN! Mr Musk might figure out your real MRF name...
Date: February 28, 2021 11:55AM
sekker
PS I liked the warning at the end! Uh oh, you posted to MRF without using a VPN! Mr Musk might figure out your real MRF name...

That's more of an ad served up by Speedtest.net, LOL...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: February 28, 2021 11:55AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Paul, do you have any sort of way to test streaming from your site to the internet? That is the biggest issue I have heard of. My impression is streaming platforms/MMO's look at average speed upstream and then tend to choke when it briefly dips during the regular switches between satellites.

Not really...
I may try a Facetime with my mom later, and will post the results, but beyond that, I really don't "stream" anything.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 28, 2021 12:15PM
Paul F.
Filliam H. Muffman

Not really...
I may try a Facetime with my mom later, and will post the results, but beyond that, I really don't "stream" anything.

Yes, call your mom. You know she wants to see/hear from you. Do not say you are doing it just to test your streaming. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2021 12:15PM by rgG.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 28, 2021 03:32PM
Paul F.
GGD

Unfortunately, I don't. I have read reports that it takes approximately 80 watts, though. More than ideal, for sure, but it DOES have to transmit to ORBIT, after all...

80 watts over PoE is supported by IEEE 802.3 bt, the latest update to the PoE standard. I’m familiar with the special requirements associated with transmitting more than 60 watts over structured cabling, but off the top of my head I don’t recall any limitations with regard to patch cables.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020