Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So - when are we gonna see this on TV?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: February 28, 2021 10:07AM
'90s and early 2000s nostalgia shows?

What got me thinking about this was something I first noticed during my college years in the '80s: nostalgia-themed TV shows seemed to be set 20-25 years in the past - at the time, I think I got as far as thinking about how it'd be a bit strange to have the 1970s revisited. Now - we have the 1980s being used as a backdrop.

1960s shows set in the 1940s: Combat, McHale's Navy, Rat Patrol, Hogan's Heroes
1970s shows set in the 1950s: M*A*S*H, Happy Days, and its spinoff Laverne & Shirley
1980s shows set in the 1960s: The Wonder Years, Tour of Duty, China Beach
1990s show set in the 1970s: That '70s Show
Recent shows set in the 1980s: The Americans, The Goldbergs

So - isn't it about time for something set in the 1990s and soon the early 2000s to make their appearance? I just wonder how the zeitgeist of that era would be portrayed; surely heavy emphasis on the Clintons and also the exploding presence of personal computers. Something I don't expect to see anytime soon is 9/11 and its aftermath being played for laughs (ala McHale's Navy, M*A*S*H, or Hogan's Heroes).

edit: forgot about Hogan's Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2021 11:44AM by SDGuy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So - when are we gonna see this on TV?
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 28, 2021 10:42AM
Mixed-ish prequel to Blackish on ABC takes place in the '90s. Ala Wonder Years, Goldbergs, etc…
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 28, 2021 10:57AM
SDGuy
'90s and early 2000s nostalgia shows?

What got me thinking about this was something I first noticed during my college years in the '80s: nostalgia-themed TV shows seemed to be set 20-25 years in the past - at the time, I think I got as far as thinking about how it'd be a bit strange to have the 1970s revisited. Now - we have the 1980s being used as a backdrop.

1960s shows set in the 1940s: Combat, McHale's Navy, Rat Patrol
1970s shows set in the 1950s: M*A*S*H, Happy Days, and its spinoff Laverne & Shirley
1980s shows set in the 1960s: The Wonder Years, Tour of Duty, China Beach
1990s show set in the 1970s: That '70s Show
Recent shows set in the 1980s: The Americans, The Goldbergs

So - isn't it about time for something set in the 1990s and soon the early 2000s to make their appearance? I just wonder how the zeitgeist of that era would be portrayed; surely heavy emphasis on the Clintons and also the exploding presence of personal computers. Something I don't expect to see anytime soon is 9/11 and its aftermath being played for laughs (ala McHale's Navy or M*A*S*H).

I dunno... to me, the 1990s weren't that distinctive an era in the same way previous decades were... I refer to them as the "recycled 90's" because it seemed like a lot of what happened in that decade was just weak retreads of previous decades.

As far as capturing the zeitgeist of previous decades, the show I really like that did that was Cold Case... practically every episode was an insight into an earlier decade and era, and the music that goes with each episode is especially evocative. If you're thinking of the 90s specifically, I would recommend these episodes, each of which is outstanding in its own way:

[www.imdb.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[www.imdb.com]
(the music that goes with each of these episodes is also outstanding)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 28, 2021 11:34AM
I think SDGuy is undoubtedly correct.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 28, 2021 07:24PM
ME TV network already showing many of the listed programs.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 01, 2021 09:33AM
I disliked all of the 80's American cars in the 80's, but after watching The Americans for a while, I got to thinking they were pretty cool. Big and comfortable. Gave me new appreciation for them. I'll bet not that many were saved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020