advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just another Apple rant ... this one about OS upgrades
Posted by: raz
Date: February 28, 2021 11:14AM
My latest pandemic project is to transfer old home movies from VHS to something digital. I have one working VHS player left (combination DVD from the kids playroom). I picked up a Canopus 110 off of eBay, hooked everything up, got video, but no sound.

I verified that the player is outputting sound. I can use the passthrough on the Canopus to my stereo. So, I know that device produces sound. I've tried all the dip switches.

My internet searches tend to support the theory that Apple deprecated the audio codexes needed for this. So, I take this 10 year old laptop that my daughter abandoned after graduation and I wipe it back to a clean 10.6 install. Still no joy.

Oh well. 99% of what I wanted was originally, Dad's 8mm movies. They were silent.

But, you just try restoring the MacBook Pro to 10.13 (latest it can run)

You can't upgrade from 10.6.0 (the installer DVD - which takes an hour to install). You need to have 10.6.8. OK. That's easy.

Then, you download 10.11 (the last OS that will upgrade from 10.6.8) form Apple. You run the installer. It takes 20 minutes, wipes the disk, and punts.

So, re-install from DVD.

Try the archived installer on my main machine. It won't load because it's 'corrupted'.

OK. Grab my backup music USB stick from the car and use terminal magic on the archived Yosemite installer to make it bootable.

That works. 10.6.8 is now 10.11.0. Run the updater. It's 10.11.5. Now, install 10.13 on top of that.

That was about 8 hours of trial and error.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just another Apple rant ... this one about OS upgrades
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 28, 2021 11:16AM
ouch!

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 28, 2021 11:34AM
I am surprised you remember all the steps!
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 28, 2021 11:46AM
Never upgrade. --chopper
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 28, 2021 11:55AM
raz
Try the archived installer on my main machine. It won't load because it's 'corrupted'.

Almost all of the time that just means its security signing is too old. Just set the clock back on the Mac to a time close to when the installer was downloaded and leave it disconnected from the internet for time settings until after the install has completed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2021 11:56AM by JoeH.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 28, 2021 01:52PM
raz
But, you just try restoring the MacBook Pro to 10.13 (latest it can run)...

It already had 10.13 on it once before? If so then it's got the right firmware, so I make a standalone USB installer from my 10.13 install app, boot from USB and install.

Posted by: raz
Date: February 28, 2021 02:56PM
Sarcany
raz

It already had 10.13 on it once before? If so then it's got the right firmware, so I make a standalone USB installer from my 10.13 install app, boot from USB and install.

Would it have installed 10.13 over 10.6? Apple’s support page implied not.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 28, 2021 03:20PM
raz
I wipe it back to a clean 10.6 install…You need to have 10.6.8…Then, you download 10.11 (the last OS that will upgrade from 10.6.8) form Apple…10.6.8 is now 10.11.0. Run the updater. It's 10.11.5. Now, install 10.13 on top of that.

I just did a "live" update of a 2011 iMac from 10.7.0 to 10.10 to 10.13.6. No intermediate minor updates required.

[support.apple.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2021 03:23PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 28, 2021 03:30PM
raz
Sarcany
raz

Would it have installed 10.13 over 10.6? Apple’s support page implied not.

You only need to take it to Lion (10.7) for an upgrade-install. But I'd strongly recommend an erase-and-install to go from 10.6 to 10.13 and if it were my old Mac that's how I'd do it (that, and I'd replace the old boot drive with a SSD).

From your description, it seems that you wiped that Mac to put 10.6 on it, so there's no critical data on it and jumping straight to 10.13 via USB installer and an erase-and-install would be just fine.

...Sometimes the 10.13 installer won't run on an old Mac that never had 10.13 installed previously. This is usually due to a firmware problem that can be resolved by first installing macOS 10.10 or 10.11 and then running the 10.13 installer while booted to Yosemite or El Cap. But it's not usually necessary.

Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: February 28, 2021 04:29PM
^^ ouch on the upgrade experience, but yeah I’d just take a backup on the current OS and run a clean install of 10.13.

I actually had a similar pandemic project recently digitizing a bunch of MiniDV tapes. I connected the camcorder via FireWire to an ancient MacBook running a clean install of Lion 10.7.5 and captured all the segments.

I briefly considered buying a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter, but realized I already had old tech to do the job.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 28, 2021 05:40PM
For VHS, I copied from VHS deck to standalone DVD recorder. Super easy, and can then easily rip DVD.

For minidv, I hooked up to a MacBook running the older, easier version of iMovie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020