advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for a copy of High Sierra
Posted by: Kate
Date: March 01, 2021 03:16PM
Can anyone point mew to where I can download High Sierra?

Thanks

Kate
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for a copy of High Sierra
Posted by: Bixby
Date: March 01, 2021 03:21PM
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 01, 2021 03:23PM
What OS are you running? If you are running Catalina on one of your Macs, you can download many OS installers via Terminal:
[512pixels.net]

Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 01, 2021 04:07PM
Sarcany
What OS are you running? If you are running Catalina on one of your Macs, you can download many OS installers via Terminal:
[512pixels.net]

I would avoid Terminal commands at all costs!!!

I tried to download a full installer via the Terminal once, and while it worked (I got a full installer), it was apparently some sort of Apple internal installer. I.e. when I was going through the setup it asked me to enable "remote setup" or some such thing, I didn't pay attention to what it was and just clicked through. Essentially, now my iMac thinks it's part of Apple's remote network, which means they can control it remotely, wipe it, etc. There is no way to get out of this unless you get the controlling entity (in my case, Apple) to de-authorize your computer. I reinstalled from a different installer, and while I declined the remote setup this time, it was still asked, and you get notifications once you start using the computer about enabling it.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 01, 2021 05:11PM
You can use dosdude1's High Sierra Patcher, it will let you d/l the latest,
official installer direct from Apple's servers. [dosdude1.com]
Download the HS Patcher dmg to your Desktop & double click to open,
then install the Patcher. Now run the Patcher ignoring the "patch" stuff
and click "Tools" on the Menu, voila....

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 01, 2021 06:19PM
I've used both bixby's Apple links and MrNoBody's dosdude1 downloaders with success. Either should work though I find the Apple links to be a bit simpler for me.
Date: March 01, 2021 06:58PM
Gareth
Sarcany
[512pixels.net]

I would avoid Terminal commands at all costs!!!

I tried to download a full installer via the Terminal once, and while it worked (I got a full installer), it was apparently some sort of Apple internal installer. I.e. when I was going through the setup it asked me to enable "remote setup" or some such thing, I didn't pay attention to what it was and just clicked through. Essentially, now my iMac thinks it's part of Apple's remote network, which means they can control it remotely, wipe it, etc. There is no way to get out of this unless you get the controlling entity (in my case, Apple) to de-authorize your computer. I reinstalled from a different installer, and while I declined the remote setup this time, it was still asked, and you get notifications once you start using the computer about enabling it.

1. I believe that something weird happened to you, but that's just not the way it works.

2. The only Apple-authorized ways that you can set up your Mac to be remote-wiped are via iCloud or via a MDM profile. Outside of your employer, the only ones distributing profiles are using them as part of a malware-distribution.

If you have such a profile, you will find it in the "Profiles" panel in your System Preferences (panel is only present if there's a profile) and you can use the options in that panel to remove it. Also, if you have such a profile, you should install Malwarebytes and use it to scan for and remove the malware on your Mac.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 01, 2021 07:12PM
I have the installer direct download from Apple and will happily share it if you have a way to receive a 5.32GB file.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 01, 2021 07:25PM
Sarcany
2. The only Apple-authorized ways that you can set up your Mac to be remote-wiped are via iCloud or via a MDM profile. Outside of your employer, the only ones distributing profiles are using them as part of a malware-distribution.

If you have such a profile, you will find it in the "Profiles" panel in your System Preferences (panel is only present if there's a profile) and you can use the options in that panel to remove it. Also, if you have such a profile, you should install Malwarebytes and use it to scan for and remove the malware on your Mac.

Thanks, I will definitely look into these. Will have to pull the iMac out of storage, though (I was going to sell it, hence the "fresh" install, but when I got this weirdness, I just buried it in a closet instead).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 01, 2021 07:38PM
.....lookin' to get High......too.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2021 07:38PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 01, 2021 08:45PM
Gareth
Sarcany

Thanks, I will definitely look into these. Will have to pull the iMac out of storage, though (I was going to sell it, hence the "fresh" install, but when I got this weirdness, I just buried it in a closet instead).

It could also be enrolled in an enterprise DEP in which case nothing you do will get rid of that warning. Did you buy this new or used?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: March 01, 2021 08:58PM
C(-)ris
It could also be enrolled in an enterprise DEP in which case nothing you do will get rid of that warning. Did you buy this new or used?

Yeah. Didn't think of that. That fits the description of the problem, too. Let's hope that's not it.

...If that Mac was stolen or improperly disposed of by an organization then it could have come with an Apple feature that basically locks it permanently under the control of a company IT dep't. It's possible for them to remove it, but finding someone who both cares enough about your plight and knows how to do it will not be easy.

Posted by: samintx
Date: March 01, 2021 10:15PM
Amz has it for 23.00 disc
Date: March 02, 2021 01:44AM
C(-)ris

That sounds more like it based on my earlier research, unfortunately. I did buy it used, but never saw this message until I’d installed the “terminal downloaded OS”, and we’d been using it for years. Can’t remember if I initially did a clean install or a clone when I first got it, but probably a clean install since it was set up as my wife’s work computer initially.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 02, 2021 02:40PM
Gareth
C(-)ris

That sounds more like it based on my earlier research, unfortunately. I did buy it used, but never saw this message until I’d installed the “terminal downloaded OS”, and we’d been using it for years. Can’t remember if I initially did a clean install or a clone when I first got it, but probably a clean install since it was set up as my wife’s work computer initially.

This can be 'disabled' by installing the OS and NOT selecting an internet connection in the setup process - do so after yo0u have landed on the desktop.

I've seen this described as a bug and it completely eliminates the DEP up through 10.14 - not sure if it still worked 10.15 and beyond.

I've seen this with school districts and such - they sell off a big lot without undoing the ownership. I'm a little surprised that Apple would do this themselves - it might actually be a stolen computer.
Date: March 02, 2021 03:13PM
hal
This can be 'disabled' by installing the OS and NOT selecting an internet connection in the setup process - do so after yo0u have landed on the desktop.

Yes and no.

That doesn't work anymore as of Catalina. It will enroll as soon as you're online.

And in older versions of the macOS it should nag you to enroll.

Date: March 02, 2021 05:33PM
Sarcany
hal

Yes and no.

That doesn't work anymore as of Catalina. It will enroll as soon as you're online.

The nagging was my issue. Supposedly there's a way to disable that, but interesting to hear that Catalina will auto-enroll. Once I got to the nagging point, that's when I gave up and just stuck it in the closet since I didn't want to deal with selling a "fishy" item.

Maybe it is stolen, although it seems like an odd configuration for an Apple corporate machine, and it just seems very coincidental that I never saw any evidence of DEP until I used the terminal downloaded installer... But I also have no idea how DEP enrollment works and it does seem like it would depend on the "server" already having the serial number, not the local machine volunteering itself for enrollment.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 02, 2021 09:01PM
Gareth
Sarcany
hal

Yes and no.

The nagging was my issue. Supposedly there's a way to disable that, but interesting to hear that Catalina will auto-enroll. Once I got to the nagging point, that's when I gave up and just stuck it in the closet since I didn't want to deal with selling a "fishy" item.

Maybe it is stolen, although it seems like an odd configuration for an Apple corporate machine, and it just seems very coincidental that I never saw any evidence of DEP until I used the terminal downloaded installer... But I also have no idea how DEP enrollment works and it does seem like it would depend on the "server" already having the serial number, not the local machine volunteering itself for enrollment.

Every Apple Device(Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.) phones home to Apple's activation server upon the first time they power up and have a network connection. The device checks in with Apple and the activation server tells the device if it is managed by a MDM server or if it isn't managed. This is based off the serial number of the machine. If the Serial number of the machine is registered to an organization you will see the a screen come up telling you the device is managed. It will also tell you specifically what the legal name of the organization that it is registered to is. You won't be able to bypass that in thee newest OS. The screen will look similar to this:

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 09:03PM by C(-)ris.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020