advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cell phone deals: why do they ask you to port a line from a different carrier?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 01, 2021 03:32PM
I could use a new line and a new phone. This deal would be perfect for me if I had another line to port in. I don't.

Sure, I could sing up for a new line with some carrier and immediately port to Xfinity, why why?

iPhone SE on us: Offer ends 3/3/21. Requires purchase of new, iPhone SE 64GB while supplies last, 24 month Xfinity Mobile Device Payment Plan Agreement ("Device Agreement"), activation of new Xfinity Mobile line and transfer of phone number from another carrier within 30 days of phone purchase date.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cell phone deals: why do they ask you to port a line from a different carrier?
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 01, 2021 03:41PM
Yeah I see this deal too... you don't need to port in a number, they can activate a new number for you. So, suddenly, you've got a business line! Or a phone you leave in your car for emergencies.

What I do wonder is what happens if I then swap sims so that the new SE has got the SIM for the older model phone on my main number? I remember reading in the original Xfinity signup documentation that could be grounds for termination... although they also never noticed when I did not activate the old "free" Android phones they sent me, I instead plopped those SIMs into iPhone 5 phones and got along just fine for years despite them not being "supported" devices on their plan. It's not like I was calling support, so I suspect you'd be fine in this case as well, although you might have some issues with signal strength or reliability depending on location and device specifics.

I also wonder what the minimum timeframe is for Xfinity to port a number OUT of their service before it is eligible to be ported back in... And why they don't just offer this as a device upgrade - I've had a pair of original iPhone SEs since mid-2017 with them, you'd think they'd want me to upgrade my 4 year old phones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2021 03:42PM by gabester.
Re: cell phone deals: why do they ask you to port a line from a different carrier?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 01, 2021 03:51PM
.......like most guys.....they like to have a girl in every......port......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 01, 2021 03:52PM
Yeah I see this deal too... you don't need to port in a number, they can activate a new number for you

Are you sure that they still give you the credits if you do not port a number from another carrier?
Posted by: rz
Date: March 01, 2021 07:01PM
Call and ask. They probably want you to transfer another line so that they can feel good about stealing a customer from a competitor.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 01, 2021 07:09PM
I wanted to get Visible service with a new phone, porting the number I have had since 1994. But Visible won't give me any discounts from my current carrier. So I have to play a stupid game of getting service from an approved carrier (Sprectrum or T-Mobile in my case), using them for a month on my old phone, then switching to Visible, getting a new 12 mini at a steep discount.

I haven't bothered.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 01, 2021 07:45PM
gabester
What I do wonder is what happens if I then swap sims so that the new SE has got the SIM for the older model phone on my main number? I remember reading in the original Xfinity signup documentation that could be grounds for termination... although they also never noticed when I did not activate the old "free" Android phones they sent me, I instead plopped those SIMs into iPhone 5 phones and got along just fine for years despite them not being "supported" devices on their plan.

I got a "free", smallish, LG tablet awhile back thru T-Mo w/ all the usual caveats, and swapped the SIM into a new 12.9" iPad Pro about 4 months in. Not a peep, and still got the monthly credits for the "free" LG for the duration of the promo. It did take a couple of months, but then the big iPP showed up in the system, rather than the freebie.

I'm thinking/betting that all they really care about is the monthly service fee, and that the hardware is secondary in the whole equation.
==
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 01, 2021 09:09PM
Would a phone number that you get for activating a prepaid $12 burner work?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 02, 2021 03:35AM
They probably want you to transfer another line so that they can feel good about stealing a customer from a competitor.

I think syphoning off a competitor's customer is the main reason.

But I'd certainly check to see if just getting two lines without one from a competitor would be sufficient for the deal.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 02, 2021 06:26AM
Filliam H. Muffman

where can you get such a burner? I have not looked at prepaid cell phones in a long time.
Date: March 02, 2021 01:02PM
space-time
Filliam H. Muffman
where can you get such a burner? I have not looked at prepaid cell phones in a long time.

Hmm, when I click on the cheapest flipfone at Wallyworld, it comes up as unavailable. Looks like the cheapest that is currently in stock is $20 ($19.88). It may actually cost a little more to pay-for-minutes/get-a-number-assigned. Like you, I haven't bought a prepaid in several years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 02, 2021 01:33PM
Digging through my 11 year old posts here about prepaids, I found (may not be available in your zip code) a $20 flipfone that supposedly does not require an activation fee.
https: //shop.tracfone.com/

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2021 02:28PM
.....can you just.....carrier on.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 02, 2021 07:30PM
$20 flipfone that supposedly does not require an activation fee.

Ah, but can one buy it at a mall kiosk with cash, like Jason Bourne?

It's not a burner if it's tied to a name and address (that can be verified).

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 11, 2021 06:19PM
I need a new phone

With sprint now. One phone and one iPad , bring your own device plan

I don’t need another line
I don’t need a buy one get one type deal

Can’t seem to find a decent deal.. 12 mini might be good
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020