advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Have You Ever Been Under Paid For A Job, As An Adult Or Even As A Kid?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 02, 2021 12:49PM
I was thinking way back when I was a young lad, when I occasionally went to work with my Mother. (She was an attendant, then manager, THEN owner of a laundromat/dry cleaners, that eventually turned into two locations).

She was the manager when this incident took place. I took it upon myself to clean the store room/unused office that hadn't been cleaned in years. boxes of vending machine soaps, supplies, etc. plus random stuff that hadn't been touched in years.

I spent 3 hours cleaning it up and organizing the space. My Mom was impressed and let me know what a good job I had done. Just then the owner popped in for a visit. My Mom explained how hard I worked and showed him what a good job I had done. He thanked me, reached in his pocket and gave me a shiny new quarter!

This was in the mid 60's, and to tell the truth, I wasn't impressed. I didn't get upset with him, I thanked him and took the quarter thinking, what a cheapskate!

There have been other incidents where I've been underpaid, but this one sticks in my memory. angry smiley

How about you? Have you ever been under paid?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have You Ever Been Under Paid For A Job, As An Adult Or Even As A Kid?
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 02, 2021 01:24PM
I work for a nonprofit, so.........
Posted by: hal
Date: March 02, 2021 01:28PM
trick question? because I feel like I was underpaid for EVERY job I've had...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 02, 2021 01:42PM
It's all a matter of perspective...

Hopefully it has all evened out by the time you croak.
The fewer regrets you die with, the better.

There's a song, or two, in there somewhere....
==
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 02, 2021 01:45PM
The phrase "No good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind.

One time a friend and I, while on a hike with a school group came upon a large road sign that had been damaged by severe weather, where the bolts on one half had been ripped through the sign but remained on the post behind it. There were two posts so it was still mostly standing up, but we decided to try and fix it, by using our hiking sticks to push the sign back over the bolt heads. Of course that probably would never have worked, but since we were ahead of the group we had nothing better to do.

Once the group caught up with the teacher who was in charge of us, a resident of that road came out hollering about us damaging the sign. The teacher (who later turned out to be a pedophile) immediately took sides with the resident and was scolding us even as we attempted to reason how it would have been impossible for us to do that kind of damage with just our hiking sticks. He would have none of it, and even demanded that we give him the sticks, which we had whittled to a point on one side with our swiss army knives, and the knives too.

We eventually got them back at the end of the trip after my friend's mother reamed the dude about his accusation. But man, kinda made us not want to be as helpful. He got caught many years later and is currently serving a 40 year sentence for molesting 14 children.

EDIT - Anyway, that got dark, sorry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 01:45PM by mikebw.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 02, 2021 02:05PM
Never.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2021 02:09PM
I work for a school system in a support role. I love the job, but it is just one step above volunteer work. At $13k annual, I make 1/10 of my final year as a photo editor with 1/100th the respect from self-important school administrators.

I'm not complaining, I could leave if I wanted to.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 02, 2021 02:10PM
My pay rate has never been right. I'm convinced it's random.

My first job was to cut the grass outside the subdivision entrance. Best money ever since it only took like 10 minutes to do and I didn't have to maintain dad's mower. Actually for some reason the job paid $11, not $10.

My previous full time job had me to go my supervisor because someone I managed wanted a raise. I said, "Jim's certainly worth it, however he'd be earning more than me ... " Reminded me of a time years earlier when a bank teller earned more than the Asst. Manager and I managed them both. My assistant was livid, and I was angry FOR her as well!

I currently don't earn as much I should, but it's 100% more than I earned in the 10 years prior.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 02, 2021 02:17PM
I remember working for a couple of days in the summer after, I think, my freshman year in college. I quit the job on the second day because it turned out I was selling on commission, rather than the flat salary I was promised. I had already made two sales, and should have gotten a little bit of money, but never did get paid.

Early in my career, I felt underpaid because my performance reviews all said that I was doing the work of someone two levels above me. But I was promoted fairly quickly, so I guess it worked out... had I not performed at that level I may not have been promoted as quickly.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 02, 2021 02:20PM
For $3.80 a week. A crisp, dry, bagged newspaper was delivered to your doorstep by a friendly and polite 12 year old neighborhood kid. 7 days a week before 7am. 365 days a year. No holidays. No days off. In rain, snow, sleet, and wind. I was that kid.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 02, 2021 02:28PM
d4
For $3.80 a week. A crisp, dry, bagged newspaper was delivered to your doorstep by a friendly and polite 12 year old neighborhood kid. 7 days a week before 7am. 365 days a year. No holidays. No days off. In rain, snow, sleet, and wind. I was that kid.

Means nothing unless you also wore the newsboy's cap, and knickers, for full effect.

But you knew that already.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 02, 2021 02:31PM
Lived a long time in a ski town so...

One of my maxims:

I’ll work a good job for bad pay.

I’ll work a bad job for good pay.

But

Life’s too short to work a bad job for bad pay.

I’ve been spoiled for life for the last 15-20 years by being my own boss. It would be hard to go back to being an employee.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 02, 2021 03:03PM
Yes, a very easy call. Being the lowest-paid person of over 20 different individuals at the same HR classification yet hitting top professional marks. Was a great deal for my organization, was terrible for my kids' college funds and my retirement, let alone day to day expenses.

My boss made some effort to 'correct' after I showed him the numbers, but I did not manage to truly reconcile until I left the organization for another job.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2021 03:16PM
....obligatory sex with the spouse.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 02, 2021 03:21PM
1. As a kid, I got a new paper route that I thought was a little long, but was repeatedly assured that the previous paper boy had the route for years with no problem. It took me hours and hours to complete and I was exhausted at the end of every day. I couldn't understand how the previous paper boy was able to do the whole thing in just over an hour, but that's what they told me and I kept at it. Eventually, I had enough and quit, and in the paperwork they showed me on my last day, I saw that they had me down as running three paper routes, but only getting paid for one. (I guess they saw an opportunity to consolidate.)

2. I was working as a contractor for a company that offered to hire me. The position they offered was a starting-level at less than half what I earned as a contractor, but I'd secretly have all of the senior-level responsibilities and would still be expected to work the long hours that I had as a contractor, with no authority. I declined.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 02, 2021 03:23PM
btfc
I’ve been spoiled for life for the last 15-20 years by being my own boss. It would be hard to go back to being an employee.

I’ve been self-employed for decades, unfortunately my boss is kind of a bonehead.

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 02, 2021 03:38PM
My first full time job in my current career was for a county park system. About six months into the job, the county hired a company to review all pay scales to realign them to comparable market rates. My pay went up 30% in one swoop. This was great of course, but left me feeling a little embarrassed I'd signed on for the lower rate originally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 03:39PM by Acer.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 02, 2021 03:48PM
hal
trick question? because I feel like I was underpaid for EVERY job I've had...

Same here. Since 1980, whatever job I have had, (all three of them) have been jobs based on a 50 hour work week. So when we were converted to hourly instead of salary, the hourly wage was figured so that if we worked 50 hours exactly, I would get exactly what I received on salary. So the pay is fine, I guess, but when you look at hourly wage, mine is lower, as that means $$Salary divided by 55 = hourly wage.
I love what I do and I'm sure I will retire there, but I would love to work only 40 hours for the same pay.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 02, 2021 04:04PM
Yes, more than once but I'm lazy about asking for more money. I'll just economize instead. That is until my outgoing boss, who had just finished his degree at night Biz school apparently used me as an example (this is all my inference) for how the person who does the most work apparently gets paid the least. Luckily that changed as he bought me a brand new laptop, got me a good raise (I've still never had one even close to that %age), and then he left a week or two later to another job.

Sometimes Business School works out for you even when you never take a class.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 02, 2021 04:06PM
Rick-o, If that bastiche is still alive, you should hunt him down and kick him in the ‘nads..... baseball bat smiley

If he’s dead, take a dump on his grave.
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 02, 2021 07:41PM
I worked at a bagel place when in high school (mid 1970s), while in high school.

I averaged about 45 hours a week, and was one of 2 employees who had full responsibility for closing a few nights a week, and worked every Saturday morning and most Sunday mornings. I made $2/hour.

After a year of this, I asked my boss foe a 25 cent raise. He came back and offered me a 10 cent raise.

I declined, telling him that if that's all he could afford to give me that he must need it more than I did. Boy, was he pissed. Yelling, screaming, throwing things. I was impertinent and insulting, according to him.

I did not work there for much longer.
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 03, 2021 09:30AM
Music? Freelance? Of course!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 06, 2021 08:35AM
sekker
Yes, a very easy call. Being the lowest-paid person of over 20 different individuals at the same HR classification yet hitting top professional marks. Was a great deal for my organization, was terrible for my kids' college funds and my retirement, let alone day to day expenses.

My boss made some effort to 'correct' after I showed him the numbers, but I did not manage to truly reconcile until I left the organization for another job.

This is the stupidity of big business. The best employees tend to be underpaid and leave. The soft cost to the employer often exceeds what it would have cost to properly compensate them.

I don't remember ever working a job for minimum wage. I worked manual labor jobs in college and made several dollars per hour more than minimum wage. My buddies teased me about physical labor and being outside, but my weekly paycheck was significantly larger than theirs. If I did overtime on Saturdays, I made more than they did in 2+ weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Acer , Bo , JEB , kj , pqrst
Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020