advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What keyboard are you using with your M1 Mac Mini ?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 02, 2021 07:09PM
I am using the Apple Wired extended keypad A1243. The number keypad to the right does not work. I was using an Apple A1314 and well I can't go there on this post.

All keyboards work fine on any and all the other Macs in the house.

The Amazon Basic extended keyboard number keypad does not work either. I thought it did.

Most of what I have read is the Bluetooth is flaky but my wired Apple is only Half A$$ and is not recognized. From what I have read if you go wireless, use a dongle.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 07:17PM by Bernie.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What keyboard are you using with your M1 Mac Mini ?
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 02, 2021 07:21PM
Wow, this sounds terrible.

I like wired keyboards, ours have all worked when using as an external kb on our M1 MBA.

EDIT: The keyboards that have worked with the MBA via a hub - Macally and wired Apple aluminum keyboard (from 10+ years ago).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2021 08:20AM by sekker.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 02, 2021 07:55PM
I would certainly call apple and demand an explanation.

You're not alone - someone saying that it worked until he did the first OS upgrade.

Saying that the USB port isn't supplying power to the keyboard??

[discussions.apple.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 02, 2021 07:56PM
No clue as to what a 1243 vs 1314 is.

We have had no problem with a 5 year old apple AL. Been in use 2 days. Setup was with an older AL apple BT board, also 100% fine.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 02, 2021 07:58PM
Logitech MX Keys - best keyboard I've ever owned

[www.logitech.com]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 02, 2021 08:24PM
Wired Apple mini Magic Keyboard with Magic Trackpad
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 02, 2021 09:05PM
Bernie, I'm using the same one as you, also known as:
"Apple A1243 MB110LL/A Wired Keyboard"

It's even plugged into a dock, and has a wireless Logitech mouse (its receiver plugged into the keyboard's right USB port). All is working very well.

Could be a wonky keyboard. I've had to replace mine awhile back, for keys that no longer worked.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: LyleH
Date: March 02, 2021 09:07PM
Wired Apple Pro Keyboard M7803 - it's what I had laying around for my M1 mini. The keypad does work on the M1. (20 years old???) LyleH
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 02, 2021 09:32PM
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

I'm rockin' MX Keys along with a MX Master 2S mouse. I am considering upgrading to the 3S because of the USB C capability. But this one works fine.
Date: March 02, 2021 10:12PM
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

Argh. That looks fantastic. The issue is if I get one, I get four...

Just say No!
Posted by: clay
Date: March 02, 2021 10:19PM
sekker
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

Argh. That looks fantastic. The issue is if I get one, I get four...

Just say No!

Best non-apple keyboard I've used as well
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 02, 2021 11:58PM
You guys already know my answer to this one - my tried-and-true Apple Extended II Keyboard. Add it to the LONG list of Macs I've used this KB with.

An interesting note, however: Due to household logistics related to my working from home during COVID, when I first received my M1 mini the only way I could get it set up was to have it share a monitor, keyboard and mouse with my work PC. Well, the keyboard I use with my work PC is an old PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2-to-USB adapter - this combination worked just fine with the Mac!

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2021 12:02AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: March 03, 2021 04:40AM
These keyboards work fine on other Macs.
Annoying.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 03, 2021 05:53AM
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

Pinkoos and vision63, is the main thing you like about that MX Keys the feel and travel of the keys? (not to sidetrack this thread). Always wondered about that keyboard and damn nice-looking mouse.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: March 03, 2021 05:58AM
tuqqer
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

Pinkoos and vision63, is the main thing you like about that MX Keys the feel and travel of the keys? (not to sidetrack this thread). Always wondered about that keyboard and damn nice-looking mouse.

This isn't Highjacking. It is natural progression. secret smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 03, 2021 06:04AM
Bernie

This isn't Highjacking. It is natural progression. secret smiley

Good point! Evolution man! We can't stop it!

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 03, 2021 06:23AM
Pinkoos,

Too bad that keyboard suffers from a fatal flaw. It's only offered in black keys with white lettering. That's a huge issue for me because I find that and similar combinations difficult on my eyes.

This thread makes me wonder how my Matias Tactile Pro or my Varmilo VA108M will work with a M1 Mini...

Robert
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 03, 2021 08:09AM
Bernie,

I have an M1 mini that is 2 months old.

I'm successfully using a wired Macally extended keyboard after trying an Apple bluetooth extended keyboard and another short Apple bluetooth keyboard. Both bluetooth keyboards had keys that failed. I've had that happen with Logitech USB (dongle) keyboards. I've never found a wireless keyboard that lasted more than a year without some form of failure.

I have 2 very old wired Apple keyboards that I bought with my G4 Quicksilver and 2007 iMac that still work with my newer Macs. You can still find them on eBay.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 03, 2021 08:35AM
THAT is an interesting keyboard.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 03, 2021 09:17AM
I have a 2nd Logitech K750 wireless with my MP3,1.
Really nice keyboard. I'd go with a Logitech again in a sec.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: March 03, 2021 09:47AM
tuqqer
pinkoos

[www.logitech.com]

I pretty much love everything about it, including the feel and travel for sure, but also the slope, the backlighting (and motion detection), the media (and other keys) up top, the Logi Options software that comes with it, the easy bluetooth pairing, the USB-C charging (and super long battery life), etc.

Well worth the investment if you do a lot of typing

That being said, I had to pull out my old trusted wired Apple extended keyboard to setup my new M1 mini (a wired keyboard is required for setup) and was reminded how much I also love the feel and travel of the chiclet keys on it
Date: March 03, 2021 10:26AM
pinkoos
That being said, I had to pull out my old trusted wired Apple extended keyboard to setup my new M1 mini (a wired keyboard is required for setup) and was reminded how much I also love the feel and travel of the chiclet keys on it

I don't think this is true anymore -- as I was able to setup my wifes mini with an old apple AL BT keyboard.

After booting, about 30 seconds or in, it prompted "if using a BT keyboard, turn it on and off" -- pushed the pair button on the side... bingo.

Date: March 03, 2021 10:28AM
jdc
pinkoos

I don't think this is true anymore -- as I was able to setup my wifes mini with an old apple AL BT keyboard.

After booting, about 30 seconds or in, it prompted "if using a BT keyboard, turn it on and off" -- pushed the pair button on the side... bingo.

Okay, I stand corrected. I had read about needing a wired keyboard a few weeks or so ago and so didn't even bother trying with my Logitech

Glad that a wired keyboard is not needed
Date: March 03, 2021 10:32AM
pinkoos

If you are in fact talking about THE Apple Extended Keyboard, you are solely mistaken in referring to its keys as "chiclet" keys -- that description more closely describes the keys on your Logitech KB. The keys on the Apple Extended use ALPS mechanical switches, which give it its unique tactile feedback.

It is what it is.
Date: March 03, 2021 10:34AM
N-OS X-tasy!
pinkoos

If you are in fact talking about THE Apple Extended Keyboard, you are solely mistaken in referring to its keys as "chiclet" keys -- that description more closely describes the keys on your Logitech KB. The keys on the Apple Extended use ALPS mechanical switches, which give it its unique tactile feedback.

Ah I guess I'm totally confused today about pretty much everything!

I stand corrected once again - I guess what I'm referring to is the wired equivalent of the Magic Keyboard that also has the number pad on the right hand side

I think at this point, everyone should just ignore everything I say today! :-)
Date: March 03, 2021 10:51AM
pinkoos
N-OS X-tasy!
pinkoos

I stand corrected once again - I guess what I'm referring to is the wired equivalent of the Magic Keyboard that also has the number pad on the right hand side

This keyboard? This is the Apple keyboard we are using with our M1 MBA when we need an external keyboard (the other is a macally).

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 03, 2021 10:56AM
Robert M
Pinkoos,

Too bad that keyboard suffers from a fatal flaw. It's only offered in black keys with white lettering. That's a huge issue for me because I find that and similar combinations difficult on my eyes.

This thread makes me wonder how my Matias Tactile Pro or my Varmilo VA108M will work with a M1 Mini...

Robert

How do you not know where the keys are by now? I don't ever even look at the keyboard.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: March 03, 2021 11:02AM
sekker
pinkoos
N-OS X-tasy!
pinkoos

This keyboard? This is the Apple keyboard we are using with our M1 MBA when we need an external keyboard (the other is a macally).

[www.amazon.com]

Yes, once again I got the name wrong

:facepalm
Date: March 03, 2021 11:24AM
At work I have the Logitech Ergo K860 wireless split keyboard

I have a sit/stand desk at work and I find that this keyboard works very well in terms of the ergonomics of my setup

I actually do a lot more typing at work than at home and this keyboard has been a godsend

It's paired with a PC (yuk) so I can't speak to how well it would work with the M1 mini

Worth checking out though

[www.logitech.com]
Date: March 03, 2021 12:11PM
pinkoos
At work I have the Logitech Ergo K860 wireless split keyboard

I have a sit/stand desk at work and I find that this keyboard works very well in terms of the ergonomics of my setup

I actually do a lot more typing at work than at home and this keyboard has been a godsend

It's paired with a PC (yuk) so I can't speak to how well it would work with the M1 mini

Worth checking out though

[www.logitech.com]

I’m sure it would work just fine with the M1 mini. Computers are pretty keyboard-agnostic these days — as I mentioned above, I am able to use an old PS/2 keyboard with my M1 mini!

It is what it is.
Date: March 03, 2021 12:29PM
A1243
is on the back of both MB110LL/A and MB110LL/B

I am using the B. The F3 and F4 keys are different. I have had them both as I went many years without a keyboard overlay/proctector.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 03, 2021 12:48PM
C(-)ris ,

I'm a hunt and peck typist. A _really really really_ fast hunt and peck typist but a hunt and peck typist nonetheless. I do need to look at the keys to a degree when I type. It's especially necessary if I'm machine-gunning away at a longer text document. That I use different keyboards, each of which has a different size and feel, is another factor. I switch between a Matias Tactile Pro, a Varmilo VA108M and the built-in keyboards of a Early 2013 MBPr 15" and an early 2015 MBPr 13". So, yes, the color of the keycaps and letter matters. It's why I avoid keyboard with dark keycaps and light lettering at all costs.

Robert
Date: March 03, 2021 01:02PM
I cant type worth a crap. Still look at the keyboard often-ish and make plenty of mistakes.

My 16 & 13 year old can do near 80 WPM. ugh.

Date: March 03, 2021 01:36PM
My high school senior year typing class was the most practical and useful class I took during those 4 years
Date: March 03, 2021 01:49PM
Pinkoos,

I attended several sessions of a typing class in high school. Slowed my pace down to a crawl. Couldn't get squat accomplished. I still remember the look of awe on the instructor's face when I switched from trying to type per the lessons to my normal machine-gun style of hunt and pecking. I swear her jaw dropped to the point that it bounced off the floor. Everyone in the class looked at me as if I was complete lunatic.

Now, I try teach yourself to type programs once in a while and the result is still the same. It's just not worthwhile for me. What I do now works well enough that I see no reason to learn how to touch type. Maybe it would be worthwhile if I was a secretary, professional writer or typist or have a job that requires serious typing skills. But, for my work, nah. Not worth it.

Robert
Date: March 03, 2021 02:00PM
pinkoos
My high school senior year typing class was the most practical and useful class I took during those 4 years
Ha, never heard anyone else say this. I feel the same damn thing; didn't know it at the time! But years later, when I purchased my first Mac (IIci) and started writing and authoring, it all came back to me. I was shocked.

Have never yet found a reason for the calculus I suffered over, nor the memorizing of dead presidents.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 03, 2021 02:33PM
Article from MacReports on how to fix keyboard problems link

I'm guessing number 8 on that list (corrupted preference file) will fix it. My theory is the first time you power-up a new Mac with a keyboard, OSX asks for the location of certain keys (Shift/control?) and this is how OSX determines if there's a numeric keypad. This creates a preference file that may have been corrupted.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 03, 2021 03:04PM
tuqqer
pinkoos
Ha, never heard anyone else say this. I feel the same damn thing; didn't know it at the time! But years later, when I purchased my first Mac (IIci) and started writing and authoring, it all came back to me. I was shocked.

Have never yet found a reason for the calculus I suffered over, nor the memorizing of dead presidents.

Me three.

Date: March 03, 2021 11:11PM
pinkoos

Same here. I took it specifically to prepare for writing papers in college -- no way did I ever see myself using the skill on a daily basis four decades later.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2021 11:12PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: March 10, 2021 08:25AM
MX Keys for $80 according to Slickdeals

[slickdeals.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020