advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The value of Live Photos is not now, it's later
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 03, 2021 11:46AM
When Apple introduced Live Photos in 2015 there was a lot of talk about how much extra space was used on the iPhone to store them

Because of this, I never turned Live Photos on - iPhone space cost a premium back then and I, foolishly, thought Live Photos was just a gimmick

My kids would have been 8ish and 10ish back in 2015

Fast forward to 2021 and my Photos widget just surfaced a photo of my boys from November 2015 that happened to be a Live Photo; I'm not sure if I took it (and just happened to have Live Photos turned on at the time) or maybe my wife took it

Regardless, I'm finally realizing now what I didn't back then - that Live Photos is not for now, it's for later

It was so nice to press down on this photo and actually see my young children come to life

I'm kicking myself for not having the foresight to realize the importance of Live Photos when it was first introduced and for worrying too much about how much extra space the photos would use on my phone

I don't remember how Apple marketed Live Photos but an ad agency that would have come up with a commercial showing parents in the future pressing down on Live Photos of their young kids would have hit paydirt IMO

So, a word of advice to those of you with young kids - turn on Live Photos!

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The value of Live Photos is not now, it's later
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 03, 2021 12:07PM
Tangentially related side note that I realized yesterday while reading one of your posts:

I literally measure MRF time by your sig picture and the age of your kids!
Date: March 03, 2021 12:13PM
Bo
Tangentially related side note that I realized yesterday while reading one of your posts:

That's so nice to hear! Yeah, I enjoy sharing a pic here or there as they grow up (which they're doing way too fast!)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 03, 2021 12:47PM
I never found its 3 second video format worthwhile, but given that half of that is actually captured before you trip the shutter is interesting. What I'm more prone to do is record short video clips of the kids doing random things. Those can easily be tossed into iMovie later to create a longer compendium of the month, the season, the year.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 03, 2021 01:43PM
Beautiful memories.

Not sure how many of you caught wind of the "MyHeritage.com" animated photo thing that kind of went viral this past weekend. You have to create an account, and you're limited to 5 animations before you have to pay, but it will take any faces it finds in a photo (has to be 300x300 or greater resolution), and "animate" them. It can be a bit creepy, and it's not perfect.

Here is a photo of my father (little boy looking down), his sister, and their parents (my paternal grandparents). My dad's dad died when my dad was 10, so I never met him (and my dad has limited memories). But I thought it was neat to see him "come to life."

And here's a link to the animated version of his face:

[imgur.com]

An article I read made the comparison to Apple's "Live Photos" feature, which is why I bring this up.

The site also has a feature that colorizes black and white/sepia toned photos. I don't know if you can select colors, yourself, but this is one that the site did automatically for me (it's my maternal great-grandmother):

P.S. Apologies if the photos are gigantic on your screen.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Date: March 03, 2021 01:48PM
I also had checked out that site and uploaded an old still photo of my late dad early in his career

Was very eerie to see him animated that way considering he's been gone for 12 years now
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 03, 2021 02:12PM
pinkoos
Bo

That's so nice to hear! Yeah, I enjoy sharing a pic here or there as they grow up (which they're doing way too fast!)

I was just thinking as I scrolled past your post, those “kids” are sure getting tall!

=wr=
Date: March 03, 2021 02:14PM
wave rider
pinkoos
Bo

I was just thinking as I scrolled past your post, those “kids” are sure getting tall!

The older has already surpassed me and my wife and the younger my wife only but it's just a matter of time before he's looking down at me
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 03, 2021 02:19PM
If you use Live Photos for waterfalls and running water, sometimes reflections, when you edit "Long Exposure: is a great feature to "soften" the moving Watter.
Date: March 03, 2021 02:23PM
Whoa. The effect is very Harry Potter-esque.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 03, 2021 03:30PM
deckeda
Whoa. The effect is very Harry Potter-esque.

Yeah, cool! I guess it's important to keep some shots with eyes closed, or how else are they getting those in the animation?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 03, 2021 07:56PM
The UnDoug both AI photos are really emotional and moving.

pinkoos when my daughter had my grandkids I immediately started using LivePhotos for the iPhone photos I was always taking. I recently started looking at all the images and am glad I took them, they are wonderful memories.

JoeM
Date: March 03, 2021 08:31PM
I will explore Live Photos some more. I shouldn't so quickly dismiss them, I know.

I uploaded an image of one of my grandfathers to MyHeritage ... it's a photo scanned about 20 years ago and good except for some old damage to the print that was never repaired (I think it was an 8x10 print, so, easy to scan even back then.)

You know, these AI animations obviously result in a bit of deer-in-the-headlights look, right? "Pleasant" but also of course ultimately emotionally empty, allowing the viewer a certain amount of free space to fill in the blanks perhaps, while in suspension of disbelief I suppose.

The image I have appears to have been captured in the 1940s or 1950s? He's seated and next to a curtain, so I'm imagining him on a train, but not a commuter train. Collared shirt buttoned up with a jacket, yet no tie. Very contemporary/current-day trendy, complete with Ray Bans or similar. And he's characteristically holding a cigar.

He died in 1983, at about that age (born in 1899.) I only met him once a few years prior, when he looked much different in his Florida undershirt years LOL.

He looks a lot like my dad and my son. I'll show it to my son, but I'm not sure I'll show it to my dad just yet ... it's not that they were terribly close necessarily, so I don't know what reaction would result. I dunno, maybe he'd appreciate it tho.
Date: March 03, 2021 08:34PM
Aw heck I just watched it again and realized they friggin' cropped the image and most of the context is gone, including the cigar!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 04, 2021 12:50PM
deckeda
Aw heck I just watched it again and realized they friggin' cropped the image and most of the context is gone, including the cigar!

Yes, annoying. I uploaded my late mother-in-laws B&W wedding photo from when she was a young woman in Cuba. The colorization was ok but a bit flawed however they cropped to her face and cut the 3/4 photo of the wedding dress out. I thought the animated expressions were nice but they creeped my wife out and she didn't want to look at them.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020