advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Big Sur dropping HP printer
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 04, 2021 01:36AM
Anyone else seeing this? I had to add my HP LaserJet P2015 printer in Big Sur tonight... for the third time since I got the M1 mini. It hasn't dropped my Canon MX922 -- a printer of more recent vintage -- even once, so I'm wondering if it's a driver issue.

Out of curiosity I checked the HP web site for an updated driver -- the most recent driver available there is from 2008. Yikes.

It is what it is.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Big Sur dropping HP printer
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 04, 2021 06:36AM
The printer is connected to your network via Ethernet? Did you set up an IP printer queue using the HP JetDirect protocol?

...If you don't have the exact right driver, you can use almost any basic HP Laserjet driver to print to a B/W HP printer, or use the built-in generic PCL driver, or install Gutenprint and use a generic CUPS driver.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 04, 2021 07:58AM
.....dropping like it's hot.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dk62
Date: March 04, 2021 08:21AM
No problems with HP Laserjet 200 Color...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 08:21AM by dk62.
Date: March 04, 2021 09:24AM
Sarcany
The printer is connected to your network via Ethernet? Did you set up an IP printer queue using the HP JetDirect protocol?

...If you don't have the exact right driver, you can use almost any basic HP Laserjet driver to print to a B/W HP printer, or use the built-in generic PCL driver, or install Gutenprint and use a generic CUPS driver.

Printer is connected via USB and uses the generic PS driver. It’s been connected to a USB hub that may be the source of the problem — last night I was also unable to use a plotter connected to the hub because the Mac couldn’t see it.

I’ve moved the printer to the second USB port on the mini — we’ll see if that resolves the issue. I hope it’s not the hub — it’s a relatively new piece of kit I purchased to upgrade to USB3. IIRC, it’s by Anker — I wouldn’t expect to have problems with it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 04, 2021 09:35AM
......dropsy.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 04, 2021 10:07AM
I'm having no end to errors with Big Sur and all my HP printers.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: roshi
Date: March 04, 2021 10:20AM
I have a wonderful old HP CP 2025 that prints beautifully in color, and there are generic cartridges that are flawless and reasonably priced. I keep a 2014 MacBook in Catalina just to print to it, because Big Sur refuses to and gives me strange warning messages that this driver is dangerous, or something.

It prints so beautifully, and as a writer, it helps to see the chapter headers in color - and the overall cost is inexpensive enough that I can print out a 500 page book to proofread on paper. I would not do that with the expensive per page costs of most color printers. So I write on an M1 mini and send the file over to the MacBook to print.

There might be a better workaround.
Date: March 04, 2021 10:43AM
N-OS X-tasy!
I’ve moved the printer to the second USB port on the mini — we’ll see if that resolves the issue. I hope it’s not the hub — it’s a relatively new piece of kit I purchased to upgrade to USB3. IIRC, it’s by Anker — I wouldn’t expect to have problems with it.

Please tell me you purchased a powered hub.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 04, 2021 10:53AM
Sarcany
N-OS X-tasy!

I don't think that should matter for printers. They bring their own power.

Date: March 04, 2021 11:43AM
mattkime
Sarcany
N-OS X-tasy!

I don't think that should matter for printers. They bring their own power.

It matters.

[www.cmd-ltd.com]

When you would use a powered USB hub

You’d use a powered USB hub if you needed to run:

several devices at once
devices that operate on higher voltages, such as:
external hard drives
printers
scanners

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 04, 2021 11:58AM
[www.startech.com]

If your USB peripherals require power adapters, they probably do not require power from the USB port and can be used on a USB hub without a power adapter. With USB peripherals that use power adapters, the USB ports on the hub are only used for data transfer and do not draw power from the hub.

---

That said, if I was having problems and had the option supplying power to the existing hub I'd certainly give it a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 12:47PM by mattkime.
Date: March 04, 2021 02:07PM
Sarcany
N-OS X-tasy!

Yes, of course.

Upon further reflection, I don’t think the problem is with the hub, at least in the case of the printer. If it were, the printer would remain installed — it would just show as disconnected. My problem is that the printer is disappearing altogether from the list of installed printers.

As already mentioned, my Canon MX922 has not experienced this problem even once — all the more puzzling given that the Canon is typically powered down while the HP is always powered up.

It is what it is.
Date: March 04, 2021 02:10PM
The hub in question: [www.amazon.com]

It is what it is.
Date: March 04, 2021 02:38PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Upon further reflection, I don’t think the problem is with the hub, at least in the case of the printer. If it were, the printer would remain installed — it would just show as disconnected. My problem is that the printer is disappearing altogether from the list of installed printers.

Reset the CUPS printing system.
[support.apple.com]

Date: March 04, 2021 03:57PM
Sarcany
N-OS X-tasy!

Reset the CUPS printing system.
[support.apple.com]

I’ll give that a shot, thanks.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 04, 2021 04:05PM
My anker USB3 powered hub was a pos
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 04, 2021 04:08PM
I don't know if this will help or not and maybe you tried this first, but I lost my printer connection after upgrading to Big Sur. Its an older Brother printer, no driver update on their site, a couple threads of folks having the same trouble. I messed around with it off and on for a few weeks, until I stumbled upon a Apple doc that said to open the printer preference panel, delete the printer then reinstall it. That worked.

EDIT: Oops, I see someone already led you to that Apple doc. That worked for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 04:10PM by Wags.
Date: March 04, 2021 04:52PM
Wags
I don't know if this will help or not and maybe you tried this first, but I lost my printer connection after upgrading to Big Sur. Its an older Brother printer, no driver update on their site, a couple threads of folks having the same trouble. I messed around with it off and on for a few weeks, until I stumbled upon a Apple doc that said to open the printer preference panel, delete the printer then reinstall it. That worked.

I haven't had to delete the printer. That's the problem -- it's happening on its own.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 04, 2021 06:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Wags

I haven't had to delete the printer. That's the problem -- it's happening on its own.

Oh, my bad, sorry. Did you try changing the printer's name to Do Not Delete? RollingEyesSmiley5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020