advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I want this Maryland Monorail to happen
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 04, 2021 08:44AM

I am not going to use it but I love the idea of a monorail. Just like in the Simpsons.

I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrooke, and by gum, it put them on the map!
Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Six-car
Monorail! ...
What'd I say?
Ned Flanders: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
Patty & Selma: Monorail!
Lyle Lanley: That's right! Monorail!

[ggwash.org]

Maryland will officially study a proposal to build a monorail along I-270, from Shady Grove to Frederick. Let’s examine whether that’s a crazy idea, or if monorail is a legitimate and practical possibility.

A quick refresher on the monorail proposal

In June, 2019, when the Maryland Public Works Board approved Governor Hogan’s plan to widen I-270 and the Beltway with toll lanes, the board also insisted that the state study the feasibility of building a monorail between Shady Grove and Frederick.

That request came at the behest of The High Road Foundation, a private organization that’s been developing preliminary plans for what a monorail could look like. If built, the foundation’s plan would see a 27-mile monorail, mostly along I-270, with six stops: Frederick, Urbana, Comsat (Clarksburg), Germantown, Metropolitan Grove, and Shady Grove. They say the elevated monorail would take 31 minutes to get from Frederick to Shady Grove, carry between 39,000 and 55,000 riders per day, and cost around $3.4 billion to build.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 04:25PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I want this Maryland Monorail to happen
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 04, 2021 09:07AM
....but when one finally catches.....mono.....it doesn't feel that good [ worst than the flu ].......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 04, 2021 09:24AM
OOooooh!

Buy real estate in Frederick NOW (and near stations enroute).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 09:27AM by anonymouse1.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 04, 2021 10:16AM
Why not see about a Boring tunnel while they are at it?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 04, 2021 10:19AM
Just what the Free State needs, another boondoggle transportation project that
will lose money from the day it opens, to add to their other 'transit' blackholes.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 04, 2021 10:28AM
.....why not an Interesting Tunnel.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 04, 2021 10:30AM
MrNoBody
Just what the Free State needs, another boondoggle transportation project that
will lose money from the day it opens, to add to their other 'transit' blackholes.

Public transit isn't supposed to be profitable.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 04, 2021 10:41AM
why 50 feet in the air? put it on the ground and save years of time and billion$.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: March 04, 2021 10:54AM
I'll gladly donate California's High Speed rail at a discount.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 04, 2021 10:56AM
Translation: Costs $40 Billion, and takes 30 years to build, and when completed, leaves passengers 4 miles from where it originally said it was going to stop, carries 5,000 passengers a day.

It IS cool, though...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 10:57AM by Paul F..
Date: March 04, 2021 11:10AM
jdc
why 50 feet in the air? put it on the ground and save years of time and billion$.

You may be overlooking the infrastructure costs of building barriers to isolate a track on the ground. Can't be having the monorail hitting deer, pedestrians, or wayward vehicles at ground level.....

rj
AKA
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 04, 2021 11:43AM
Jane Jacobs noted another problem in her book The Death and Life of Great American Cities about putting something like that on the ground.

It forms a barrier that cuts communities apart like the interstates running through our cities have. This creates pockets in cities that are essentially dead since people cannot access them.

California's high speed rail project is going to be a community killer since you have to put up barriers to protect people (and the trains) from hitting each other.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 04, 2021 11:49AM
And snow.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 04, 2021 11:53AM
rjmacs
jdc

You may be overlooking the infrastructure costs of building barriers to isolate a track on the ground. Can't be having the monorail hitting deer, pedestrians, or wayward vehicles at ground level.....

See also: monorail needs to go over roads that cross/merge on and off of I-270.

Note that I am not a proponent of either idea, but this is where the tunnel idea starts to make sense.
Date: March 04, 2021 01:36PM
freeradical
Jane Jacobs noted another problem in her book The Death and Life of Great American Cities about putting something like that on the ground.

It forms a barrier that cuts communities apart like the interstates running through our cities have. This creates pockets in cities that are essentially dead since people cannot access them.

California's high speed rail project is going to be a community killer since you have to put up barriers to protect people (and the trains) from hitting each other.

That makes a lot of sense. In this case, the monorail will be following an existing interstate highway's route, so that damage is long past done.

rj
AKA
Date: March 04, 2021 03:34PM
I call BS. a few bridges, or tunnels and a fence would be cheaper than one continuous bridge.

270 is already a big barrier, so too late.

I would be more on board if it was 50 feet in the air down the middle of the freeway, that I get.

----

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 04, 2021 04:28PM
You naysayers need to watch this Simpsons Monorail video:
[www.youtube.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 04:30PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 04, 2021 06:48PM
jdc
I call BS. a few bridges, or tunnels and a fence would be cheaper than one continuous bridge.

I would be more on board if it was 50 feet in the air down the middle of the freeway, that I get.

But rail (even monorail) does not like inclines or declines, hence why you don't see a lot (read: none) of what you are referring to when it comes to rail-based transit. Very slight grade fluctuations are all it can accommodate, contributing to the cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 06:48PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 04, 2021 07:07PM
what is the advantage of a monorail over a regular rail?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 04, 2021 09:06PM
Almost all of the questions here are answered in the linked article, which is very informative.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 04, 2021 11:47PM
EV busses with a trolley to recharge on the fly. The bus raises the trolley as it approaches the electrified lines which run much of the distance the bus travels in the toll lanes, then the trolley bus reaches the end of the lines and retracts the trolley. The bus continues on its route, in this case with five stops.. Round and round it goes. Simple, clean, efficient. The electrified lines would not be as aesthetically pleasing perhaps as a monorail but they would be confined to the toll lanes.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 05, 2021 12:10AM
space-time
what is the advantage of a monorail over a regular rail?

The elevation allows for pass through traffic below and the lack of "at grade" (street level) crossings don't require the train or other traffic to slow or stop.

Monorail is far from ideal, though, as only one group of cars can use it, meaning that group traverses the entire line, end to end. Unless it's built with twotracks, essentially doubling the cost.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 05, 2021 09:13AM
“ the linked article, which is very informative “

Yes, it is! DMU looks interesting.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 05, 2021 11:20AM
Monorail, schmonorail. Here's the real solution.

Date: March 05, 2021 11:32AM
jdc

Do you have any evidence to support this claim, or is it 100% your guesswork?

rj
AKA
Date: March 05, 2021 02:26PM
rjmacs
jdc

none, just the continuous and regular over spending most government projects usually have.

;)

----

Date: March 05, 2021 02:46PM
jdc
rjmacs
jdc

none, just the continuous and regular over spending most government projects usually have.

;)

I just ask because the designers of the project are mandated by state law to minimize cost, and builders must submit plans and contract bids that will cost the least out of all practicable options.

If it can be done more cheaply by using "a few bridges, or tunnels and a fence" rather than on an elevated track, state law requires that option to be used. In some ways, that's good news for you - these drawings are preliminary, and when it comes time to award contracts, the engineers and contracting companies will have to do what's cheapest. That's your goal, right?

rj
AKA
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 05, 2021 05:58PM
This is the state whose I-95 project north of Baltimore took how long? If the project were approved today, it would probably take them at least 50 years to complete it and multiples of the original projected cost.
Date: March 05, 2021 06:58PM
rjmacs
I just ask because the designers of the project are mandated by state law to minimize cost, and builders must submit plans and contract bids that will cost the least out of all practicable options.

If it can be done more cheaply by using "a few bridges, or tunnels and a fence" rather than on an elevated track, state law requires that option to be used. In some ways, that's good news for you - these drawings are preliminary, and when it comes time to award contracts, the engineers and contracting companies will have to do what's cheapest. That's your goal, right?

100%. in a perfect world.

But per usual, uncle Vinny will get all the concrete work, and cousin mike will supply all the rebar, and the politicians brother will get the engineering contract.

Like CA: [www.foxnews.com]

----

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 06, 2021 06:43AM
But per usual, uncle Vinny will get all the concrete work, and cousin mike will supply all the rebar...

And all that Portland cement (for concrete) & rebar and/or the precast
components will likely come from China.
The rolling stock & control systems will also be of foreign origin as
there are no US manufacturers.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: March 06, 2021 03:30PM
jdc
rjmacs

100%. in a perfect world.

But per usual, uncle Vinny will get all the concrete work, and cousin mike will supply all the rebar, and the politicians brother will get the engineering contract.

Like CA: [www.foxnews.com]

If your only argument is 'laws never matter, and everyone is corrupt,' then there's no basis for discussion.

You're just throwing conversational grenades and watching what happens when they land. It's fair play, I suppose, but why not just say that's what you're doing, and stop pretending to be part of a real conversation?

rj
AKA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020