AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blazing Saddles "Welcome Sheriff" Reaction
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 05, 2021 01:13PM
[www.youtube.com]

A young man reacts to Blazing Saddles!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blazing Saddles "Welcome Sheriff" Reaction
Posted by: hal
Date: March 05, 2021 04:08PM
That was hilarious, but I can't help but notice that the guy had no idea who Count Basie was and has never heard of Laurel and Hardy. To be expected since they died decades before this guy was born...
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 05, 2021 05:17PM
hal
That was hilarious, but I can't help but notice that the guy had no idea who Count Basie was and has never heard of Laurel and Hardy. To be expected since they died decades before this guy was born...

Count Basie was our parents generation. We were aware of what came before our time. They only know what's happening now and fairly recently.

I remember going to the movies to see Blazing Saddles. The entire audience was doubled over in laughter. Of course being 14, the fart scene almost killed me. I needed an ambulance after breaking my funny bone.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 05, 2021 06:03PM
vision63
hal

Count Basie was our parents generation. We were aware of what came before our time. They only know what's happening now and fairly recently.

I think part of that might come from how all or most of us grew up watching the "Late" and later on "Late Late" movies on our local affiliate TV stations before sign-off in the pre-infomercial days. Where I live most of these were black & white films from the 50s and earlier that were probably very cheap to rent for broadcast. Watching these I got to see many films that I wouldn't ordinarily have picked out of a pile for myself which are now recognized as classics on AMC featuring actors and actresses that I had never heard of who had retired from performing before I was born. People who grew up in the post-infomercial period and were spoiled for choice in viewing options by cable never got to experience the unexpected delight of watching a movie cold, with no hints as to subject other than the title, for the first time and finding the film surprisingly enjoyable.

Edited to add- Since I had seen Carol Burnett's parodies of Mildred Pierce and Sunset Boulevard a couple of times each before I saw the actual films as "Late Late" movie features, I kept laughing inappropriately throughout both because I kept picturing Carol doing certain scenes.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 06:11PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 05, 2021 08:42PM
Another scene that stuck in memory was the horse TKO.
Date: March 05, 2021 09:52PM
vision63
hal

I'm gonna defend the youth on this one. Count Basie was my Grandparents music. I never listened until my 20s. Expecting someone born around or after 2000 to know WW2 era music is like expecting me to be familiar with the works of ... Jenny Lind?
This young man might be familiar with Public Enemy or other 90s Performers, his parents' music.
Most of my 15 year old daughter's crowd knows at least some Beatles, who broke up a 35 years before they were born. They sang Elton John's "This Song" as a group for their 8th grade Graduation!

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 06, 2021 07:13AM
Reasonably sure had no idea who Count Basie was the first time I saw that movie as a teenager (maybe 1982 or so), but I could tell instantly that he was pretty awesome.

I was lucky enough to see Mel Brooks perform live in Vegas a few years ago. He took Q&A at the end, beginning with, "I already know what the first question is: 'Could Blazing Saddles be made today?' Hell, no!"
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 07, 2021 02:10PM
Will Collier
Reasonably sure had no idea who Count Basie was the first time I saw that movie as a teenager (maybe 1982 or so), but I could tell instantly that he was pretty awesome.

I was lucky enough to see Mel Brooks perform live in Vegas a few years ago. He took Q&A at the end, beginning with, "I already know what the first question is: 'Could Blazing Saddles be made today?' Hell, no!"

I wish he had gotten to work on "History of the World, Part II," and "Spaceballs 2." I always hope he knows how hungry we are for his humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 02:11PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 07, 2021 02:54PM
Rolando
I'm gonna defend the youth on this one. Count Basie was my Grandparents music. I never listened until my 20s. Expecting someone born around or after 2000 to know WW2 era music is like expecting me to be familiar with the works of ... Jenny Lind?

That would be hard, as soprano Jenny Lind was never recorded.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 07, 2021 03:11PM
She was reputed to have recorded early on for Edison, no such recording was ever recovered.
Date: March 07, 2021 04:00PM
mrlynn
Rolando

That would be hard, as soprano Jenny Lind was never recorded.

/Mr Lynn

Just an example. I can't think of any recording artists recorded in 1910-1915, which would be 60-55 years before my birth. Tell me about your great-grandparents music you were very familiar with when you were about 20!

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 07, 2021 04:40PM
RgrF
She was reputed to have recorded early on for Edison, no such recording was ever recovered.

True. I should have qualified with that.

I actually produced and released a recording by Elizabeth Parcells, of A Jenny Lind Recital, on Northeastern Records:

[www.allmusic.com]

She subsequently toured with it, recreating Jenny Lind recitals live. Without, of course, P.T. Barnum to publicize them.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020