advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgraded cell phone, and now the dam**ed App Library
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 06, 2021 12:41AM
First, forgive me as I'm just a leeetle frustrated now.

Yes, I know. (1) I should have never upgraded; and (2) it's how things are done now.

A little background is in order, and I'll try to keep it short. My mom had back surgery in December. Things happened, and the phone got borked to the point where it demanded to reconnect to iTunes and restore the phone. It had not been upgraded/backed up via iTunes in YEARS so stuff was inadvertently lost. Of course, it upgraded to the latest and greatest, which we were not wanting to do because it would change how the phone looked and/or worked which is not the best for an 83-year old with memory issues made worse by new medication, being somewhere she doesn't want to be nor has any understanding of what she is there for. Later the same day she got out of the hospital, she had to go back into the hospital (delirium) and finally went to a skilled nursing in-patient facility for physical rehabilitation. More stuff happened, among which the phone was lost/stolen, returned, nearly borked again, whatever.

She is now home, and the things she is used to doing on the phone have been changed, the biggest thing is that she can't find some of the things she normally would use because of Apple's insistence that everything has to be in the App Library. The App Library is confusing to her, everything seems changed, and some of the icons she is used to seeing don't show up in the Library until you touch the folder wherein it resides. To say it is frustrating to her is an understatement.

I have tried to have everything shown again on the home screen(s) (I understand I CANNOT delete the App Library, much as I would like to) but not everything is showing up. I further understand that if I delete the app from the phone and re-download it, it should then appear on the home screen. The problem is that some of the things she has she may not get back, and again, I am hesitant to re-download (and hence "upgrade" apps) and thus change things on her AGAIN.

Settings=>Home Screen only gives me Add to Home Screen, or App Library Only for Newly Downloaded Apps. In a search of the inter webs I found some sites have stated that there should be some kind of toggle to put everything back on the home page, but I haven't found it either on her 6s or my X.

I would just like something simple, please, Apple. Not everyone wants to be on the "bleeding edge" nor does everyone need to be there.

If you are thinking of getting her a new phone, it will involve her getting out and about, and she has difficulty getting around. Don't even ask about a wheelchair/walker in public; not going to happen as she is sure nothing can be put in my car as it is, according to her, too small. And traveling in my car hurts her back. I have a 2-door Mini Cooper hatchback. Perhaps her pride might get dinged here as well?

Is there any other way to get things back to what it looked like before, or do I have to work with the apps individually to get things to where she can use them?

Thanks all,

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgraded cell phone, and now the dam**ed App Library
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: March 06, 2021 01:00AM
Open the App Library. Locate the app that you want to move to your home screen. Long-press on the app’s icon until a menu pops up. Tap the “Add to Home Screen” button from the context menu.
Date: March 06, 2021 01:03AM
Thanks! I’ll be seeing her tomorrow and I’ll give it a try. I knew someone here could help. emoticon_love

Diana
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 06, 2021 07:59AM
Before I do a major upgrade on my iPhone 7 I screenshot each page of apps so if something goes wrong I can get it back as close as possible by editing the Home screen.

I hope she's coming along ok with her back surgery, I know how bad back surgery can be. I'm looking at another one soon but not looking forward to it.

Grateful11
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 06, 2021 08:14AM
I have three "pages" of apps on my phone. I had no idea that the App Library even existed until I accidentally swiped left a third time and saw it.

Date: March 06, 2021 10:11AM
My phone has been incrementally updated and hasn’t had the problem that her’s had, but then it never insisted that it had to be taken back to its factory settings, and then restored from the backup. It appears that “factory settings” are the current ones for a new phone, or as close to it as possible, not the ones that existed at the time the phone was new. She had tried to input the lock code too many times and it locked her out; when it came back to be available for unlocking, she misremembered the code, thereby borking it further until at last it bricked and required the factory restore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 450
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020