Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
30k (yes, 30,000!) exchange servers have been hacked in 2021
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 06, 2021 07:49AM
[www.theverge.com]

Not clear everything the hackers now have, but wow.

I bet my church has no idea if it was hacked.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 30k (yes, 30,000!) exchange servers have been hacked in 2021
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 06, 2021 08:02AM
This after Solar Winds.

My previous employer (that handled HIPAA-protected data) was brought to its (national) knees by a ransomware attack that was started by a successful email phishing.

Windows is still just full of holes. I don’t get why businesses put up with it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 06, 2021 08:25AM
MS is a low bidder who assumes everyone uses MS, which only plays into vulnerabilities.

An example of this insular thinking: At work we switched from a regular soft phone to Teams for outside phone service. In the Contacts feature, you cannot add anyone to the address book who doesn’t have a Teams account, apparently. They didn’t even bother to let Teams access the Outlook address books.

On the other hand, this could be one of those things possible but not without an unnamed admin checking half a dozen checkboxes first.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 06, 2021 03:29PM
No comment on if this was just self-hosted exchange, or if it applies to the cloud version as well.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 06, 2021 04:15PM
M A V I C
No comment on if this was just self-hosted exchange, or if it applies to the cloud version as well.

It says right in the article that this is effecting self-hosted Exchange servers, and not Exchange Online:

Microsoft has released several security updates to fix the vulnerabilities, and suggests that they be installed immediately. It is worth noting that, if your organization uses Exchange Online, it will not have been affected — the exploit was only present on self-hosted servers running Exchange Server 2013, 2016, or 2019.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2021 12:12PM
JoeH
M A V I C

It says right in the article that this is effecting self-hosted Exchange servers, and not Exchange Online:

Microsoft has released several security updates to fix the vulnerabilities, and suggests that they be installed immediately. It is worth noting that, if your organization uses Exchange Online, it will not have been affected — the exploit was only present on self-hosted servers running Exchange Server 2013, 2016, or 2019.

No one should be running an on-site exchange server unless they have dedicated trained security and exchange system administrators.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 12:13PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2021 06:18PM
deckeda

On the other hand, this could be one of those things possible but not without an unnamed admin checking half a dozen checkboxes first.

Yup. It takes a lot of knowledge and experience to successfully manage MS environments and get it working the way you want. Some things require major changes to other related systems that might not be possible.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 07, 2021 10:27PM
JoeH
M A V I C

Oy, I read the whole thing looking for that but missed it. Thanks.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020