advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any crazy roommate stories?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 06, 2021 12:51PM
None for me. Any crazy roommate stories people want to share?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any crazy roommate stories?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 06, 2021 01:22PM
I had a college roommate who brought home a husky. He often let it run wild at night as we backed up to a large forest area. One morning as I was heading to class, I opened the front door to find the dog sitting there with the entire hind leg of a deer.

I called my roommate and told him his dog had brought something home. As I drove away He was standing in the doorway in his bathrobe, holding the deer leg, and the dog was wagging its tail in pride.

He became the Atlanta city attorney (the roommate, not the dog)

honestly, in hindsight I was the crazy roommate. dunno smiley

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 06, 2021 01:36PM
In my first year of college, I had one of those "roommate from hell situations."

I was on the list as a non-smoker. Got a "non-smoker" roommate assigned who turned out to have lied on the form. He smoked 4-6 packs a day. Never went a minute without a cigarette in his hand, even in his sleep. He sucked on them in classes.

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. It was worse when I was younger. I quickly found that I could not even enter our room without fits of coughing, drippy nose, headaches. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't get the smell off of me. The only way that I could deal was by popping Benadryl which was messing with my head.

His friends were stoners who dug through all my stuff, stole everything of value except my computer which they just trashed. They partied every night, blasted music 24/7 and tore up the place whenever they got their hands on acid or shrooms. Not a single piece of furniture survived them. I came back one day to find that my bed had been broken up and the pieces stacked with others to make a fort.

The RA shrugged. Campus cops only cared about confiscating hot-plates. All the rooms had been handed out and first years weren't allowed to trade.

I could barely tolerate being in that room, so I avoided it as much as I could. Campus buildings closed early, including the library, but I found a place where I could nap in a space between the dance studio and a snack bar. Sometimes I slept on the floor of a friend's room. Some nights, I was able to nap in the computer lab if I bartered with the guy who ran it. Some nights, I just slept in a stairwell. All of this affected my grades, of course.

Even with noise and odor complaints from other students, the college didn't do anything, but I got lucky when another kid got kicked out. I moved into the other kid's single without permission and with the help of a sympathetic dean and one of the RAs I was able to stay there until the end of the first year when I had enough seniority to request a single and got it.

Posted by: Michael
Date: March 06, 2021 02:00PM
Not me but my daughter had a college roommate who was probably Sarcany's roommate's sister (without the smoking). Partying at all hours with her friends, playing loud music, all of the above. My daughter was torn between trying to fit in and doing well in her classes and wasn't doing well at either. She finally told us and I called the college and was able to arrange a new single room for her without throwing her roommate under the bus. We drove there that afternoon and moved our daughter out. The roommate wasn't there so she just left a note saying goodbye. Fortunately she was able to save the semester and her grades were fine.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 06, 2021 02:05PM
My roommate's mother's brother was a huge US Senator so any time he was caught by the cops, he made a phone call and was always released. His dad owned a drug store, but my roommate couldn't take it over because he couldn't pass organic chemistry. Here are a few of the the things he did off the top of my head. This only scratches he surface:

• Shot pistol through RA's door from the elevator
• Called in several bomb threats
• With two friends, robbed an old man, then shot him dead, then burned his house. He wasn't he trigger man
• After college, robbed a jewelry store in a mall I was working at
• Would go to women's prison in McAlister, Oklahoma on parole day and wait at the entrance gate (EZ pickin's)
• After graduation, enrolled in a high school and was having a blast until the janitor recognized him
• Had his mother water his pot plants, which she thought was a "biology project"
• Would peek in next door neighbor's daughter's bedroom window. (Her father was a state trooper.)
• Bought hundreds of albums from Columbia House and never paid for them
• Found a tiny bug on himself at 3:00 AM. Took it to his biology professor who identified it as a "crab louse"
• Reportedly killed a cop in California

This is what he looked like (Stuart Margolin)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 02:27PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 06, 2021 02:14PM
Oh, where to start. In the 70s I lived on 100 acres with 12 other crazies. They were mostly just housemates, though two of the women became roommates, but not at the same time.

Paul was a drug-crazed madman who would turn up any time of the day or night. He might stick around for a few hours or a few months. We never knew. He'd just show up. He was great to have around, high-energy, liked physical labor, chopping firewood, clearing brush, that sort of thing. I have no idea what became of him.

Susan was a sweetheart, very quiet, spacey, a bellydancer. She drove a Nash Metropolitan.

Bill had just moved in from So Cal to start a winery. His soon-to-be ex-girlfriend would visit, driving up in her ratty old Jaguar XK120. She reminded me of Cruella de Ville.

Tom made a huge ceramic coiled pot. It took on a life of its own and eventually got far too big to pass through the door of the studio. It couldn't support its own weight, so until it was fired, he had to coax it back into shape every three or four hours, 24/7 for weeks. He had to knock out a wall to get it out and build a kiln around it.

Miller had his own small cabin on the other side of the creek. When it was raging during the rainy season, he wouldn't succumb to the comfort of just crashing on the couch in the main house, so he'd strip down and cross the creek with his clothes on his head, pulling himself across with a rope.

Carol loved men, but there was something wholesome about it. She was a big woman in every way, tall, big voice, big heart.

Annie was the cow person. She bought a milk cow and got this whole cow operation going, selling the extra milk to neighbors, buying feed with the proceeds, which also supported the chickens. We all rotated milking chores.

There were others over the 7 years I lived there.

Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 06, 2021 02:15PM
And you lived to tell about it!

Dennis S
My roommate's mother's brother was a huge US Senator so any time he was caught by the cops, he made a phone call and was always released. His dad owned a drug store, but my roommate couldn't take it over because he couldn't pass organic chemistry. Here are a few of the the things he did off the top of my head. This only scratches he surface:

• Shot pistol through RA's door from the elevator
• Called in several bomb threats
• With two friends, robbed an old man, then shot him dead, then burned his house. He wasn't he trigger man
• After college, robbed a jewelry store in a mall I was working at
• Would go to women's prison in McAlister, Oklahoma on parole day and wait at the entrance gate (EZ pickin's)
• After graduation, enrolled in a high school and was having a blast until the janitor recognized him
• Had his mother water his pot plants, which she thought was a "biology project"
• Would peek in next door neighbor's daughter's bedroom window. (Her father was a state trooper.)
• Bought hundreds of albums from Columbia House and never paid for them
• Found a tiny bug on himself at 3:00 AM. Took it to his biology professor who identified it as a "crab louse"

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 06, 2021 02:18PM
“ I had a college roommate who brought home a husky. “

Roommate had a Malamute; she was a sweetheart, except around food and occasionally with other female dogs, where she might possibly go kind of Tasmanian Devil.

During hunting season we had noticed an elk carcass in a nearby yard, with a couple of dogs working on it. A few days later we came home to the elk ribcage in our yard; she was lying on top of it, surrounded by a circle of 9-10 other dogs, several of whom were bleeding. None of them would come closer than about 10 feet.

The same dog, while in heat, later chewed most of the way through a door (wood on the inside, metal outside). If we had come an hour or two later she would have been through.

A friend had a roommate who borrowed my walkman, drove about 400 miles, and robbed a bank. On his way back, when cornered by a State Trooper on a dirt road, he charged the cop car and shot the trooper several times at close range (small caliper pistol, he lived, but lost an eye). We heard about it on the ski slopes; my friend took the call from his parents.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:49PM by btfc.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 06, 2021 04:48PM
Wow! Some crazy stories here! smiley-shocked003

I never had roommates. I went to work at GM when I was 19, and moved out from my folks house a year or so later. Even through the darkest times of layoffs, (longest was nearly 3 years) I managed to keep the bills paid without the need for a roommate.

I finally DID go to college when I got an apprenticeship at GM. But that was just night classes after my shift and I didn't live in a dorm or anything. College was just a few miles from home/work.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 06, 2021 05:12PM
Having college roommates is an education in itself.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 06, 2021 07:51PM
My first roommate informed me that she was related to John Wilkes Booth and that she spoke in tongues. OooooooK
She was actually very nice.
Her only major flaw was that she COULD NOT WAKE UP TO HER ALARM. it was a very loud alarm but she would sleep right through it, every damn day. My first class wasn’t till noon and hers was at 8am. smiley-shocked003
She woke up every morning to me yelling, “Vivian. WAKE UP!!!!!”banghead smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 06, 2021 08:10PM
Generic apartment for students at Kansas State for graduate school had room for four students, two bedrooms, two beds each. We had three students; I got the room with the empty bed. ONE of the three of us pretty much used anything in the apartment, whether it was his or not. Snacks, after shave, food in the refrigerator ... all his. Asking him for consideration of our property and later complaints to the management did no good. He bragged about going to the library and tearing out pages from journals that were assigned reading for his classes, figuring nobody could be held responsible for the material if it were not available.

I don't recall if he even made it through both semesters; I am sure he was a success in life afterwards, though.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 06, 2021 08:30PM
After college I briefly left nyc for a city with a slower place where I knew a couple of people from high school. One was looking for a roommate and I needed a place so I was down. My friend / roommate had a troubled relationship with substances which seemed like foolishness at the time but quickly turned out to be more serious.

One night he came home and declared that he 'found' a credit card and he was going to take me and the other (male) roommate to get some hookers. How do hookers take credit card? It still confuses me but apparently claiming its a massage helps. We go to sleep, but I notice my friend sneak out. In the morning he tells me he got full service from two women. A few days later he loses his job as a waiter - seems they put two and two together. Still, just firing for stealing a card? You're basically putting him back out there to work someone down the street. Anyway, he tells his girlfriend that he quit his job to find one thats closer to where she lives. She _completely_ believes him. There are apparently no consequences.

It wasn't long after that that I stopped talking to him, it was clear that he was paving a pretty wide path of destruction and he didn't care who was pulled in. Supposedly he's been sober for the past year or so but his form of sobriety is still plenty delusional. There are some deep problems there that are unlikely to ever be resolved.

Posted by: vision63
Date: March 07, 2021 09:44PM
Y'all done had some crazyass roommates!!
Date: March 08, 2021 12:59AM
I was talking to a friend today and he remembered the time my roommate was at a grocery store, saw a cart full of watermelons, pushed it about ten blocks, into the dorm, up to the top 8th floor, and dropped them one by one onto the parking lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020