advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does anyone make a menu for your meals?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 06, 2021 09:04PM
I have a hard time coming up with three meals a day, day after day.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does anyone make a menu for your meals?
Posted by: davester
Date: March 07, 2021 02:36AM
Breakfast and lunch don't need menus because they're always simple and light (e.g., slice of toast and marmalade or bagel for breakfast, simple homemade sandwich for lunch). Oftentimes I'll just skip breakfast and have lunch only. We do menus for dinners, but with occasional takeouts scattered in there. Typically the menu will be something like salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado plus oil and vinegar) sautéed sole, boiled red potatoes, and a cookie for dessert.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2021 04:15AM
I find it difficult to help plan four dinner meals a week. We go out/takeout twice a week (Friday and Saturday) and my wife makes a pizza every Sunday. It’s even worse now because I haven’t had ready access to a grill the last three months.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 07, 2021 05:40AM
Leftovers help a lot. I make a big pot of something and then know I’m having that several out of the next 3 days. I usually make something else one of the days to avoid boredom.

I do write down things I’ve been itching to make. Between that and what fresh vegetables I have limiting what I can make(can only make cauliflower wings if I have... cauliflower), it helps to have something to refer to - “oh yeah I wanted to make pasta fagiole"
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 07, 2021 05:59AM
My wife makes a schedule. Not a menu.

Edit: before I’m blasted for making my wife cook food for me, she won’t allow me into the kitchen unless she’s sick or really tired.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 06:00AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 07, 2021 07:52AM
It's one of the things we do every week before grocery shopping. And it's a pita. Growing up I remember my mother always saying "I don't mind cooking. It's the thinking of what to make that drives me crazy." I feel the same way.

My wife and I will look for new recipes, try them then either trash them or keep them in a folder. Then each week, it's "Okay, what do we want for dinners this week?" Like I said, it's a pita. To the point where we do the Hello Fresh, Every Plate or Home Chef thing for a few days per week. Then we'll go out or do take-out one day, and just wing it another day.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2021 08:32AM
We have been enjoying the recipe app Paprika

There is a full Mac and iOS version that syncs in the cloud.

We are slowly putting our favorites in it, taking photos along the way. My favorite is a high resolution photo (front and back) of our favorite cookie recipe’s 3x5 card. It’s right out of Indiana Jones - looks ancient, not even a true rectangle. And you have to use BOTH sides to get the recipe right thanks to the edits we’ve added along the way...

This allows us to share with our daughter in Austin, for example. You can export your recipes for future use in case the company goes out of business and stops supporting their servers.

We can also readily import recipes from the web.

With that background, we now have folders full of categories like ‘weekday dinners’ etc; basically, favorites for busier days of the week.

So long as the company is around, we will likely use this for our family recipe archive. And as my wife and I settle into our next phase, this enables me to learn from her (she is a fantastic baker) while we both explore healthy food (she will admit, she doesn’t like cooking but loves baking).

Finally, the one solution I used that saved my family with a super-picky appetite during her last two years in high school was the George Foreman Grill. I put it on the kitchen counter during MN winter, and I would call before heading home to pick up something easy to grill like pork, chicken, etc. [our grocery store is on the way home from work]. This meant no matter what my wife wanted, I could always fix something for both my wife and daughter. And it was healthy by my selection.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: March 07, 2021 09:11AM
We have a weekly Menu/Schedule. My wife's job will have after hours obligations. Pre Covid in person, now on Zoom.
So our Menu also has her schedule and this lets me know if i should feed myself or wait to eat (usually that means I'll be cooking or stating something). Some of her events include dinner.

I find having the weekly menu/schedule helps with the dinner conundrum. We keep the old menus for reference, but it can be a drag getting it filled in…
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 07, 2021 11:11AM
I make a menu every week prior to grocery shopping. I try to keep it somewhat fresh by throwing in one new recipe every week.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 07, 2021 01:44PM
Me too! I use an app called MealBoard. It has advanced features I don't really use, such as generating your shopping list. But it's great at importing recipes from webpages, and it's easy to make your own. I consult it when making the menu for the week, because there's always recipes in the list that I wouldn't have thought of, and recipes I haven't tried yet.

Instacart has changed my shopping habits. But for me, making a weekly menu before shopping (for me it was Vons on Monday, Trader Joes on Friday) saved me a couple hours per week.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 07, 2021 04:54PM
No menus unless we have somebody from our COVID pod coming over to eat. Our breakfasts (cereal and smoothie) and lunches (panini on homemade sourdough and yogurt) rarely change. Dinner is whatever which one of us calls it sometime after lunch. We ate too much last night so I called salad for dinner tonight a couple of hours ago. My wife agreed so we're good. We buy enough stuff on sale and have it in the pantry and freezer that we can always find something to cook.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 07, 2021 06:44PM
No; I guess I have simple tastes and so I sometimes have an embarrassment of riches: leftovers getting old, or things in the back of the freezer that I really should cook. One thing that helps is that, over the years, I've come to associate certain meals with certain days of the week. Because I often worked late on Thursdays, that was (canned) chili night for most of the year. Sunday lunch is often quesadillas because the griddle is still out from making pancakes, Tuesday evenings after the board meeting is tuna mac, Friday is pizza night, giving me leftovers for Saturday lunch, Saturday night is often broiled salmon with a glass of wine, etc. I'm not obsessive about it like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, but it gives me a starting point each evening for thinking about the subject.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2021 10:45PM
Nothing ever planned for breakfast or lunch. Just whatever is around. Dinners we have been doing HelloFresh for the last month, 5 days a week and then we usually eat out or make something for the other 2 days. Not sure we are going to keep doing it now that Hockey is over, but they were very tasty and it certainly made life a lot easier to not have to pick what to have and go shopping. Just had to pick which meal to make.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020