Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 07, 2021 07:20AM
Just saw that there will be "an app for that"

[www.clearme.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vaccination "passport"
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 07, 2021 08:06AM
read their privacy statement carefully before you use Apps like these.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 07, 2021 08:19AM
space-time
read their privacy statement carefully before you use Apps like these.

Yep

Neither the US nor Canadian govts have agreed to any vaccine passport program. There are conversations about something that can be stored on a smartphone. I could show my CDC vaccine certificate that way if I needed to, but there are many serious equity and privacy issues around this, still to be resolved.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 07, 2021 09:51AM
Airlines haven't agreed on a standard, either.

Moreover...

[www.cnbc.com]

Covid vaccine passports are being considered. And health experts and rights groups are deeply concerned

Public health officials and civil liberty organizations are urging policymakers to resist calls for coronavirus vaccine passports, at a time when many countries are in the process of reviewing whether to introduce digital passes...

It is thought a digital passport could help stimulate an economic recovery as countries prepare to relax public health measures over the coming weeks. The ailing airline industry, hit particularly hard by the spread of the virus last year, is among those calling for governments to usher in legislation that supports Covid vaccine passports.

Physicians and rights groups, however, are deeply concerned.

Dr. Deepti Gurdasani, clinical epidemiologist at Queen Mary University of London, told CNBC via telephone that vaccine passports could inadvertently be used to provide "false assurances" to holidaymakers.

"I can see that they might be useful in the longer term, but I have several concerns about them being considered at this point in time when I think the scientific evidence doesn't support them. And there are lots of ethical concerns about them that I think are legitimate," Gurdasani said on Thursday.

Among those scientific concerns, Gurdasani said it is clear the protection coronavirus vaccines offer is "very far" from complete and "we know very little about the effectiveness of vaccines in preventing infection or even asymptomatic disease against several variants circulating in different countries." ...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2021 09:57AM
At this point in time, the US still requires anyone entering the country by air to submit a negative Covid test (no more than 72 hours old) before you are allowed to board your flight.

Unless the CDC changes that rule, a vaccine passport is worthless for international travel. Other countries may have similar restrictions with varying rules. For a vaccine passport to work, multiple countries and airlines would need to agree on a commonality. Fat chance of that happening.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2021 11:23AM
I understand the privacy concerns, but we need something like this for EVERYONE's safety.

Whether it's from vaccination or a negative COVID test, this will be critical for keeping COVID variants at bay in the next year.
Date: March 07, 2021 11:29AM
sekker
Whether it's from vaccination or a negative COVID test, this will be critical for keeping COVID variants at bay in the next year.

How does this address variants?

Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 07, 2021 12:12PM
I received a CDC COVID vaccination card from the clinic where I got my shots. I wonder if that would help if you are traveling across borders.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. Vladimir Lenin
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2021 01:15PM
Ammo
I received a CDC COVID vaccination card from the clinic where I got my shots. I wonder if that would help if you are traveling across borders.

Short answer - No.

I've been dealing with international travel for the last couple of months. Everything is subject to change, but it has been the same since late January for the US.

US Immigration wants a negative test within 72 hours of your flight. Many other countries want the same. The airlines are responsible for checking and if you do not have proof of a negative test, you don't get on the plane.

If you driving back from Mexico or Canada, then no test or proof is required. However land crossings both ways are closed until March 21 at least (and I expect they will stay closed longer).

The issue with the vaccine is it takes 2-3 weeks after the second shot to become fully effective. Even then, there is some question as to whether it protects against passing the virus to another. Until there are definitive answers, nations are not going to take a chance.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: March 07, 2021 03:00PM
Sarcany
sekker

How does this address variants?

Variants come from someone being sick, and the virus mutating.

If we block the chain of transmission, we stop the massive generation of new variants.

In addition, current vaccines still work on these newer variants quite well.

If we could vaccinate everyone tomorrow, wait 3 weeks, there would be very few variants around.
Date: March 07, 2021 04:01PM
sekker
If we could vaccinate everyone tomorrow, wait 3 weeks, there would be very few variants around.

Who is "everyone" in this scenario? The entire world's population?

Yeah, we're going to vaccinate the entire world tomorrow. Make sure it's on your calendar.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 07, 2021 04:15PM
Sarcany
sekker

Yeah, we're going to vaccinate the entire world tomorrow. Make sure it's on your calendar.

Damnit, there goes Zoom yoga!
==
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2021 06:10PM
Sarcany
sekker

You could easily vaccinate everyone that flys or travels internationally. That is a relatively small number of people(compared to the world population).

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2021 07:41PM
Ombligo
If you driving back from Mexico or Canada, then no test or proof is required. However land crossings both ways are closed until March 21 at least (and I expect they will stay closed longer).

For Mexico the land crossings are closed for personal travel. If on business, and have proof of such, you can cross. Also, you can cross either direction if you have dual citizenship or permanent residency. For personal travel, you must fly which keeps out people who can’t afford to fly.

My daughter-in-law’s father, a citizen of Mexico, who right now is staying just south of the frontier about 18 miles from where I am residing in Texas, will fly to Mexico City, then to San Antonio or Houston, then here to visit his daughter and hopefully to get the single dose J&J vaccine when it becomes widely available. He will return to Mexico by simply being driven the 18 miles across the frontier by my son who is a dual citizen and can cross freely in both directions.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 07, 2021 07:57PM
C(-)ris
Sarcany
sekker

You could easily vaccinate everyone that flys or travels internationally. That is a relatively small number of people(compared to the world population).

Hey! Let's magic the laws of every nation and all of the airline regs and every other form of international travel and everyone involved in international shipping to make everyone involved immune to the virus and all it's variants!

THAT's the ticket!!

It's so easy. 'Can't believe nobody has done it yet.

In fact, I'll book a trip for tomorrow just to make sure that I'll get my magic vaccine shot ASAP!! (Otherwise, my state has me on the list for some time in April. Thanks for the shortcut!)

Date: March 07, 2021 09:45PM
Not sure why the negative vibes.

There are many ways we could improve the entire vaccination process, by starting with scaling up of production beyond a few companies.

We are lucky to have 3 very effective vaccines, and likely two more ok vaccines if the Chinese and Russian data pans out.

Getting even '50%' protective vaccines out to as many people as possible and as quickly as possible would change the course of this pandemic.

In the meantime, we need to keep people from spreading by wearing masks and social distancing until we get to that point.

The science is clear. The politics could help us get out of this faster, but we sure seem to make it harder on ourselves.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020