advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why should I replace my Airport Extreme?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 08, 2021 08:11PM
My two last generation Airport Extremes are working fine, giving me wifi speeds of 192 down and 12 up. I have two with one working as a bridge and time machine (via USB).

Would I gain anything with a mesh system? I'm looking at either a pair of enGenius ESR-530 or a TP-Link M9+, but I just don't see what I would gain?

Am I missing something?

FWIW, I connecting a MBP (soon to be M1, if it matters), a mid-2012 MBP, a 2015 MBA, three iphones (that live on Netflix), an iPad, three smart TV's, three echos, some lights, a ceiling fan, four cameras and a thermostat. Nothing seems to balk.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 08:38PM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why should I replace my Airport Extreme?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 08, 2021 08:27PM
Unless there are areas of your home for which your current Wi-Fi setup can not provide adequate coverage, there is no reason to consider upgrading to a mesh network.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 08, 2021 08:31PM
Unless you have better broadband speed than your Airports can pass on to wireless clients, need better coverage throughout your household, or are doing large file transfers across your network, you don't yet have a pressing need to upgrade.

However, you should be aware of what's out there and be prepared to jump on something new. Those devices are old enough that they're likely to fail in the near future.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 08, 2021 08:59PM
I think a big part of it is the size, shape, and composition of the walls of your home. If your home has a compact footprint and its newer construction then you're much less likely to need a newer setup.

If your setup works for you then there's no point in upgrading.

Date: March 08, 2021 09:04PM
Sarcany
Unless you have better broadband speed than your Airports can pass on to wireless clients, need better coverage throughout your household, or are doing large file transfers across your network, you don't yet have a pressing need to upgrade.

However, you should be aware of what's out there and be prepared to jump on something new. Those devices are old enough that they're likely to fail in the near future.

I dread the day my AE fails. It is "only" an 802.11n device but still provides more than enough throughput to handle my broadband. The reason I dread the day is because it is the low-profile model (similar to the Mac mini) that is very unobtrusive in my living room setup -- any thing I replace it with will be much more obtrusive.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 08, 2021 09:22PM
Looks great to me. You have what is basically a last-gen mesh-style network.

We used our Time Capsule for years as a main WiFi hub, Only upgraded because it was giving far lower speeds due to its age and being taxed by all of our IOT devices.

Enjoy, a new mesh network that is better will be far more expensive and not give you a lot of faster speeds,
Date: March 08, 2021 09:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I dread the day my AE fails. It is "only" an 802.11n device but still provides more than enough throughput to handle my broadband. The reason I dread the day is because it is the low-profile model (similar to the Mac mini) that is very unobtrusive in my living room setup -- any thing I replace it with will be much more obtrusive.

Most mesh systems have wall-mount kits. They don't look terrible if you can hide the power cord. Eeros have adapters that let them hang from a power-outlet.

They also make "hiders" which camouflage stuff like WiFi routers in decorative boxes or behind stacks of fake books. Loads of them on Etsy.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 08, 2021 10:27PM
sekker
Looks great to me. You have what is basically a last-gen mesh-style network.

Agreed. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Even our old house, with stock ATT router @ a steady 55/15 never balked at 4 phones, 3 ipads and 4 imacs all streaming some sort of something wirelessly.

Everyone advertises huge speeds... but I'm unconvinced they are anywhere near necessary.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 08, 2021 10:32PM
I replaced our AE with an Eero setup. I like the security features, and I like the info in the app, but I don't find the speed any different.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 08, 2021 10:37PM
I'm still using an Airport Extreme.

The WAN side of things is going to be the bottleneck unless you have some sort of really crazy data plan.

I also have my ROKU box hooked up via Ethernet to the router...
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 09, 2021 04:15AM
Thanks all, I'll stick with what I have until there is a legit reason to change

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 04:15AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 09, 2021 08:59AM
.....stick.........y.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 09, 2021 10:32AM
Ombligo
Thanks all, I'll stick with what I have until there is a legit reason to change

Holding off is not a bad idea.

We're in another transition phase.

Gonna want to wait awhile, if you can, for WiFi 6E support in both routers and your Macs.

Date: March 09, 2021 11:01AM
....what about the s/o or wife......time to replace......???

Posted by: fauch
Date: March 09, 2021 05:48PM
You shouldn't...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 10, 2021 02:22PM
Bottom line; if your system works for you, there's no real reason to replace.

Over the years, I've replaced certain software when I saw the writing on the wall that it was heading to EOL (MacDraw, AppleWorks, iWeb, etc.), or hardware when I wanted to shuffle along while there was still some good resale value.

For the wireless network in my house, I had the Airport system and multiple Airport Express satellites, but nothing worked well at reaching the outer banks, so to speak. Both of my sons' rooms struggled to connect, let alone at decent speeds.

Went through a handful of systems, including eero at one point, and then finally landed on the Netgear Orbi system, specifically for its dedicated backhaul channel (which means that devices hooked up to the satellites via ethernet got near-hardwire speeds; e.g., if the main is getting 450 Mbps, my Mac hooked up via ethernet to the office satellite is getting 445 Mbps). Coverage throughout the house also improved exponentially for devices not using the backhaul channel (e.g., iPads were getting full Wi-Fi bars in areas where they were only getting one or two before).

If you can hold off; sure. Do so. There's always better tech in the pipeline and, when it first drops, it's pricey. I'm really happy with my previous model Orbi (not the newer Wi-Fi 6 version; akin to the one here at Woot today) and am extremely happy with the purchase.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: March 10, 2021 05:05PM
Zoidberg
I'm really happy with my previous model Orbi (not the newer Wi-Fi 6 version; akin to the one here at Woot today) and am extremely happy with the purchase.

A Wi-Fi 5-based Orbi system should be more than fast enough for all but the most demanding users. It is worth noting, however, that some of the most important improvements in Wi-Fi 6 have to do with the ability to better service multiple clients simultaneously.

It is what it is.
Date: March 10, 2021 06:15PM
.....don't rub your Orbi too much......you might go.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020