advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
heads up display
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 09, 2021 08:27AM
a few years ago, while looking at cars, I drove a BMW with heads up display. Very distracting. I turned it off.
Didn't and still don't much care for BM wagons, but that really closed the deal for BM, as even the "cheap"version had that as Standard.

Have you driven a car with heads up?
Find it distracting or .... ?

Seems to me the average car has enough distraction without more @#&* thrown in. Just driving can be rather distracting as people make left turns with the right signal or none at all on, across lanes of traffic.

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: heads up display
Posted by: rz
Date: March 09, 2021 08:35AM
Wife's SUV has a limited HUD. Doesn't bother either of us at all.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 09, 2021 08:37AM
To elaborate, it isn't a distraction. It actually allows you to view your current speed and the speed limit of where you are without having to look away from the road in front of you.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: March 09, 2021 08:55AM
Yep, my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP both had them. Very very cool and handy, you really got used to having it - till you didn't.

Not had it on any car since but I have a 2021 Cadillac CT5-V on order, it's one of it's options that will be included.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: March 09, 2021 09:22AM
rz
To elaborate, it isn't a distraction. It actually allows you to view your current speed and the speed limit of where you are without having to look away from the road in front of you.

I drove my brother's Corvette with a heads up display and, like rz, I didn't find it distracting but quite helpful.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: March 09, 2021 09:42AM

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: March 09, 2021 09:49AM
must be me. I have a good idea my speed and what the speed limit is. To me it was more useless info.
I'd much rather have a warning of a cop behind me when I'm doing 90 in a 65.
Just wish they'd put a TV receiver in there so I could watch Match Game reruns while I drive.
Or O's interview with the x-Royals.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 09, 2021 09:50AM
But will it be needed when your just a passenger to auto-drive?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 09, 2021 09:55AM
I've used an android tablet and the app Torque to create an ad hoc HUD. It only really works at night, but it's cool to be able to see the display overlay on the windshield.

I've used military HUD systems in simulators and like any other military technology the level of complexity is incredibly high and requires tons of training. I would not want to use one in a vehicle because of that complexity.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 09, 2021 10:45AM
I would prefer to be able to display whatever my choice is (like Waze showing my actual current corrected GPS speed instead of the car's indicated speed that doesn't correct for different size tires), but I know other people would abuse it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 09, 2021 01:07PM
1992 Pontiac Bonneville had a rudimentary heads up display....

until an incredibly cute blonde waitress, that was in a hurry to get home just before midnight, ran a red light and totaled both cars.

Distractions are distractions.
==
Re: head up display
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 09, 2021 01:52PM
Seems to me the average car has enough distraction without more @#&* thrown in. Just driving can be rather distracting as people make left turns with the right signal or none at all on, across lanes of traffic.

Like a speedometer?

I have a good idea my speed and what the speed limit is.

I wish I had a dime for every time somebody said "I don't think I was speeding <haughty sniff>".

So many people either have no idea of the legal speed limits or they're actual speed or they just don't care until their caught.

And gimme another dime for every time someone has said "I thought we're allowed 10mph over."

I would not want to use one in a vehicle because of that complexity.

WTF?

Surely you're not equating an aircraft or other milspec HUD with what should or shouldn't be in a vehicle.

I've not driven a car with an HUD, but I've played with adding a cheapie to my bike.

Out of the box it had a bunch of needless red wheels that I covered up with black tape.

I found I paid even more attention than usual to my speed.

So many displays focus on having a golly gee whiz bang display, and that usually means including superfluous to useless information on the windshield, along with redundant iconography.

A simple HUD of speed is really all that should be up there, along with any warning indication such as low level fuel, low or lost of oil pressure, battery warning, TPMS warning, etc.

Wind velocity, direction, true air speed, nearest In-n-Out, etc., don't need to be there.

Aside from one's speed, and the occasional warnings mentioned, if I were the demigod of the US, I'd mandate a HUD for very vehicle sold, with very few exceptions.

It would have the vehicle speed in numbers, along with the speed limit in smaller numbers, underneath.

Ok, maybe experts would have to sort out the specifics of those two for immediate cognitive recognition.

Let people have the option to turn it off, if they're easily distracted by those two pieces of information.

In the meantime, Line 20, press hard, three copies.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 09, 2021 03:20PM
I like them, as I do quite often monitor my speed on small streets as I live in the city and where 90% of my driving is done. But my cars do not have them, I've only experienced that in other cars or a rental car.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 09, 2021 06:45PM
Fritz
must be me. I have a good idea my speed and what the speed limit is.

Officer: Do you know what the speed limit is here?
Fritz: No, but I have a good idea.
Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Fritz: No, but I have a good idea.

jest smiley
Date: March 09, 2021 07:07PM
Officer: Do you know what the speed limit is here?
Fritz: Yes. I can read.
Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Fritz: slower than the mf you'll let go by coz I have out of state plates.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 09, 2021 08:26PM
Interface designers will put too much info. Just need speed and possibly simple arrows for navigation interface. Speed reading can change from green to red once one is over the speed limit. Simple visual cue for other alerts. Alert goes off to alert you to check a regular gauge. Don't need all the dash info showing up on a HUD.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 09, 2021 10:36PM
Not to hijack, but I hate center display screens for radio, HVAC, etc. Give me old fashioned knobs, buttons and sliders.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020