advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When was the last time you ate Spam?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 09, 2021 06:28PM
I seem to have fallen down the rabbit hole with these Korean street food cooking videos.

This is pretty clever. Using a sheet of seaweed to hold everything together instead of bread.

[www.youtube.com]

I never saw anything like this when I was in Korea.

[www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When was the last time you ate Spam?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 09, 2021 06:30PM
I confess, I have never in my life consumed Spam (glorious Spam).
Posted by: hal
Date: March 09, 2021 06:30PM
on a backpacking trip when I was 13

that was also the first time
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 09, 2021 06:34PM
I eat Treet - the poor man's Spam.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 09, 2021 06:40PM
Never have, and, God willing, never will.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 09, 2021 06:42PM
2-3 months ago. May eat one or two cans of it a year, get the low salt variety about half the time.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: March 09, 2021 06:52PM
One of the hot rod shops in Speedway, Indiana across from the Indy 500 track had a “Spamarama” party every year with a chef from a local restaurant a few doors down catering sliced and baked spam as varieties such as Hawaiian, Barbecue, Italian Style, etc with chips, Cole slaw and desert for free every year. Also had a great car show and live music all for free (except the beer). That spam was quite tasty

[www.jalopyjournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 06:56PM by Randalls.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 09, 2021 06:58PM
Spam musubi...last trip to Hawaii, about 7 years ago. Would do it again...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 09, 2021 07:04PM
Will Collier
I confess, I have never in my life consumed Spam (glorious Spam).

Nor have I that I'm aware of. Not that I'm all that picky about which highly-processed meat products I consume (in moderation, of course), just that I've never cared much for real, genuine, on-the-bone-in-one-piece ham so faux/reconstituted "ham" holds little appeal for me.

Dennis S
I eat Treet - the poor man's Spam.

Dude... That is hard-core.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 09, 2021 07:16PM
Breakfast this morning with eggs, living on Keto diet and Spam fits perfectly in the Keto plan.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 09, 2021 07:44PM
JoeH
2-3 months ago. May eat one or two cans of it a year, get the low salt variety about half the time.

It has been quite a while for me. I didn’t like the low salt variety last time I bought some. Do like Hawaiian dishes with it.

=wr=
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 09, 2021 07:49PM
Spam musubi... either during a trip to Hawaii, or thru Central Coastal Cali about 7 years ago.
Would probably not do it again...
Baby Buzz loves the stuff, and I've tasted it a couple of times to humor him.
The things we do for the love of our children.
Spousal unit passed her salt bomb gene on to the offspring.
==
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 09, 2021 08:00PM
Never, ever.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 09, 2021 08:03PM
I tasted it decades ago.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 09, 2021 09:12PM
......a lot......eat.......Spam-a-lot........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 09, 2021 09:37PM
It's been a long time. But I look at it at Costco every time we go down that aisle. My dear wife always pulls me away from it. But, one day...
Date: March 09, 2021 10:26PM
SPAM is not cheap. That's why I don't eat it.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 09, 2021 10:30PM
Seems to me that Spam is what you eat after a civilization-destroying disaster. Other than that, try to stick with real food.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 09, 2021 11:23PM
I love some of those crazy Korean and other Asian countries' cooking videos, esp the crazy large flat top cooks.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 10, 2021 12:07AM
Not far from here there are two different Hawaiian barbecues which have their own style of Spam Musubi as well as an interesting Spam Saimin (a noodle soup). Might have to consider a trip out for lunch tomorrow!
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 10, 2021 03:13AM
I honestly forget what it is like. I know I bought and ate a can of it a few years ago (10 maybe?) and wonder if I fried it or buttered it onto bread like a liver sausage. But I never did get around to cooking up spam spam spam spam spam and eggs. I suspect that if some local diner did their own version of that recipe they could sell an order of it every week or two. Make them rich.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 10, 2021 04:37AM
Last October, with covid cases going down in the area, we ventured out to a popular Japanese market near us. Had a nice warm Spam musubi. I order it maybe once a year if I see it on the menu.

I also like to eat mashed up canned tuna fish with mayonnaise once a year. <shrug>

Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 10, 2021 04:53AM
d4
I also like to eat mashed up canned tuna fish with mayonnaise once a year. <shrug>

Throw in some sweet relish, a chopped-up boiled egg or three, and a little dried dill weed and I'm right there with you. I find the dark tuna better for this dish as it has a more pronounced flavor and the kind packed in oil mixes better with the mayo.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 10, 2021 05:29AM
Never! I’m fine with that. No meat since 1989.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 10, 2021 06:51AM
barf smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 10, 2021 08:35AM
family camping in the 70's. That and cans of Vienna sausages. When you're hungry everything tastes great.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 10, 2021 09:01AM
1980, in Hawaii.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 10, 2021 09:02AM
I think we were watching Young Rock on TV, and they were making spam musubi. Never had it, but it’s a common (and presumably popular) menu item in Hawaii.

Edit:

How can you resist? Nummers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2021 09:23AM by pdq.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 10, 2021 09:08AM
We take along on camping trips once in a while (and vienna sausage.) It's an easily transported and prepared high-calorie source that's not sugar or carbs. It is not a staple at home beyond perhaps using up a can that we didn't get to on vacation. Something about lots of fresh air and hiking makes it taste much better.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: March 10, 2021 09:14AM
I had some a week or so ago. Hmm...maybe I'll have some this morning. Yum. I slice it and heat it in the air fryer oven. Easy peasy. We use the low sodium variety.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 10, 2021 09:53AM
Don't recall ever having it. Not even the four years I lived in Hawaii.

Underwood deviled ham was a staple of my childhood, however.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 10, 2021 10:16AM
4-5 weeks ago... I got three cans of a "Portuguese Sausage" flavor SPAM for Christmas. Still have one left.

Seriously, folks... some of you have a REALLY wrong idea about what is in Spam. Know what's in it? Pork shoulder, ham, salt, and some seasoning. No "lips and arseholes" (those go in sausage that I'll bet most of you don't think twice before eating).

Take SPAM, slice it about 1/4" thick, and pan fry until brown... now put it next to toast and eggs, and you've got a fine breakfast.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 10, 2021 12:08PM
Hmm. I don't recall EVER eating Spam. I do remember eating potted meat though. And sardines! As a kid I couldn't get enough of them. I even put them on sandwiches during my Dagwood phase. smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rasiMac
Date: March 10, 2021 12:36PM
why hasn't anyone posted this yet?
(i know that it's inferred, but to simply not post it, is "inconceivable".

monty python SPAM
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 10, 2021 02:41PM
.....spam musubi.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 10, 2021 03:57PM
The more i read this thread, the more I feel a need to go buy some Spam.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 10, 2021 07:12PM
I remember as a little kid in elementary school, they used to give us what I called "square hot dogs". It was only after telling my parents about it that we figured out it was just Spam cut that way from the block. I have tried it once since out of curiosity. Not as terrible as I expected, but not as decent as I remember as a kid, either. Needs mustard.
Date: March 10, 2021 07:20PM
The last time I had it, it was extremely salty. You can buy low sodium SPAM, but it gets really expensive.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 10, 2021 08:47PM
hal
on a backpacking trip when I was 13

that was also the first time

Same for me. It was also the last time.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 10, 2021 11:01PM
wurm
I remember as a little kid in elementary school, they used to give us what I called "square hot dogs". It was only after telling my parents about it that we figured out it was just Spam cut that way from the block. I have tried it once since out of curiosity. Not as terrible as I expected, but not as decent as I remember as a kid, either. Needs mustard.

Sorry but all I could think of is a huge block of spam and some old dude carving off slices to dole out to the kiddies. Kinda Pink Floyd-esque "you can't have your pudding if you didn't eat your meat."
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: March 11, 2021 10:25AM
Same here!!!! It is SO GOOD!!!!!!!

(Well, I've never had it in Hawaii, but there's a shop in north Jersey that makes it. I LOVE IT!!!!)

[www.zeemaps.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020