advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have a big hole in the yard. Best way to make a cheap simple goldfish pond?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 09, 2021 06:40PM
It's the hole where a bug tree's roots were, maybe 4-5 feet wide and 2 feet deep. It just across the driveway from the outside faucet. If I fill it with water it should be easy to dig out the sides and bottom. I don't want to mess with a pump unless it's very simple. I see where Home Depot has plastic formed liners. What am I up against?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have a big hole in the yard. Best way to make a cheap simple goldfish pond?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 09, 2021 06:53PM
The biggest issue with the plastic forms is getting them to fit snugly. Gitting the depth and sides all to match the contours can be maddening. Look for a rubber pond liner (not plastic, it breaks down under UV), it will match the contours of whatever shape the hole is.

You will want a small pump to aerate the water for a healthy pond. To really keep water clear, add a small UV filter. Otherwise, you will have a green cesspool when the water turns warm (been there, done that)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Re: I have a big hole in the yard. Best way to make a cheap simple goldfish pond?
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 09, 2021 07:15PM
Talk to your next-door neighbor into installing one, and enjoy theirs.
Posted by: fromish
Date: March 09, 2021 07:35PM
A rubber pond liner should work very well. They last >20 years IF they don't get punctured. The liners are uv resistant, conform to nearly any hole, non toxic to fish, and relatively inexpensive. They come in all sizes but can be cut with a razor knife.

I second the small pump and uv filter idea to keep the water appealing and attractive. Inexpensive and makes a big difference.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 10, 2021 05:26AM
Rubber pond liner is good but line the hole with soft sand and if your ground is stony then use old carpet or underlay to protect the liner. Once it's filled with water the liner is forced against the ground and sharp stones will puncture it.

You can get aerating plants that might help and don't plant trees that will overhang and drop their leaves.

Paul

Posted by: pdq
Date: March 10, 2021 08:30AM
Yep, rubber pond liner here. Did our water feature first with silky, oh-so-pliable vinyl, which after a couple of years had all the structural integrity and pliability of a cornflake. Don’t use it.

When I went to redo it, I found some decent prices for real rubber liners on eBay. We also have a formed plastic pond on the lower level; it’s held up much better than the vinyl liner, but perhaps not as well as the rubber.

FWIW, we run our little stream/pond through a simple small (and more-or-less maintenance-free) biofilter like this (or you can google how to make your own). That and a little intermittently applied string algaecide keeps things pretty clean - clean enough for our 5 goldfish-slowly-becoming-koi to be happy and apparently healthy in.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 10, 2021 08:33AM
We used a preformed pond plastic thingy in our last house. And set up a pump to keep the water moving to avoid algae.

Like others pointed out, you can get as simple or as crazy as you want to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020