advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wyze thermostat experience?
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 09, 2021 07:30PM
I know a few of you have the recent Wyze thermostats...wondering if you might chime in on your experience thus far with them? Any surprises...generally happy etc.?

Thinking of getting one. My needs are basic, heating only. I'd like to be able to control it remotely more than anything.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wyze thermostat experience?
Posted by: LyleH
Date: March 09, 2021 08:06PM
Oopsies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 08:41PM by LyleH.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 09, 2021 08:20PM
Thermostat...thermometer. I can see the confusion.

hamster dance

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 09, 2021 08:42PM
I have one but not installed it yet...either when the SO visits or the old one quits for good and will have to get a heating/AC guy to come in. I will post once it’s installed for sure!

I got this one because it’s a. Cheaper than Nest ( we have Nest at home in NJ no complaints) b. The Nest is overkill for a house I will be probably selling down the road and c. I don’t see anyone buying this house being able to deal with a Nest (over 55 community)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2021 12:31AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 09, 2021 08:57PM
After a hiccup getting it connected, it has been a solid unit. The App isn't the greatest and scheduling is not intuitive. My need was pretty simple, I just needed a way to change the setting when my Mom decides to leave open the front door.

Biggest oversight? no way to turn on emergency heat (Wyze says this will be corrected in an upcoming firmware update - that was last November)

If you have issues, go to the Wyze Forums for help. Wyze Support otherwise is awful.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 09, 2021 08:59PM
Lizabeth
I have one but not installed it yet...either when the SO visits or the old one quits for good and will have to get a heating/AC guy to come in. I will post once it’s installed for sure!

I got this one because it’s a. Cheaper than Nest ( we have it at home in NJ no complaints) b. The Nest is overkill for a house I will be probably selling down the road and c. I don’t see anyone buying this house being able to deal with a Nest (over 55 community)

Darn...thought maybe you had it up and running. wink smiley

Hopefully Ombligo will chime in...

<edit> s/he beat me to it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 09:00PM by Bo.
Date: March 09, 2021 09:07PM
Ombligo
After a hiccup getting it connected, it has been a solid unit. The App isn't the greatest and scheduling is not intuitive. My need was pretty simple, I just needed a way to change the setting when my Mom decides to leave open the front door.

Biggest oversight? no way to turn on emergency heat (Wyze says this will be corrected in an upcoming firmware update - that was last November)

If you have issues, go to the Wyze Forums for help. Wyze Support otherwise is awful.

Thanks for the input! Have you tried the Auto Switch/geo-fence capability by any chance? This is a feature that intrigues me.

Auto Switch
Wyze Thermostat sets the temperature based on where you are, automatically. Auto Switch uses your phone’s Bluetooth to switch between your Home and Away preferences whenever you leave or enter a 3-mile geo-fenced radius around your home.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 09, 2021 09:32PM
Bo
Auto Switch
Wyze Thermostat sets the temperature based on where you are, automatically. Auto Switch uses your phone’s Bluetooth to switch between your Home and Away preferences whenever you leave or enter a 3-mile geo-fenced radius around your home.

If this works reliably, then I think the Wyze might be a good alternative to the Ecobee that we have. This is the best feature of the Ecobee. It automatically goes down to 60 if both of our phones leave the wifi network, and turns back up to 69 as soon as one of us gets home.

I do like that the Ecobee is Siri capable...but is that worth like 5x the money, probably not. Mine was a gift.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: March 10, 2021 04:01AM
I have not tried geofencing because someone is always home.

Setup is easy if your system has a C-wire (if not you will need to put in the supplied adapter at your air handler). Just be sure to run a system test to be sure the heat and air are not reversed (mine were, but there is a setting in the app that allows you to reverse them). One last hint - if you only have a single R wire - it goes in the Rc connection on the Wyze regardless of whether it was in Rh on your old unit.

As I said the biggest headache is not having an Emergency or Forced Heat command.

One last thing - if you turn it off from the App, you can only turn it back on at the Thermostat, not remotely.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2021 05:46AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 10, 2021 09:28AM
One last thing - if you turn it off from the App, you can only turn it back on at the Thermostat, not remotely.

That's a dealbreaker for me.

Can it be turn on from the app in any circumstance?

If not, maybe that's some security feature, impeding hacking to turn the heat on.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 10, 2021 01:49PM
I have not found a way to turn it on from the app.. looks like it powers it off completely including the wifi (which is stupidly shortsighted).

What I'll do is change the desired temp. If I don't want the heater to come on, I just put it down to 50, want the ac off? then up to 90.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020