advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today was my daughter's first day IN 8th grade!
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 11, 2021 08:25AM
Well technically last fall was. But she hasn't set foot in school since this time last year.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today was my daughter's first day IN 8th grade!
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 11, 2021 08:35AM
Cool! Hopefully all our kids can get back to their regular school routines soon now.

JoeM
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 11, 2021 08:49AM
She has the option to remain virtual. At this point, the wife and I don't really care. We just wanted her to give it a try. She only has a couple months left of middle school. So I just want her to do what she feels most comfortable doing. She is well adjusted to virtual learning so we're not worried about that.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 11, 2021 09:49AM
My son started middle school last September, but hasn't been in the school once yet. They'd been holding classes on-line since last April. They tried to restart in-person schooling, but they still don't know how to do that safely, so the official on-line school (different from the regular school that has been on-line only because of the pandemic) has been SWAMPED with people enrolling their children. Now both systems are about completely broken.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 11, 2021 11:04AM
smiley-music039

I hope all goes well for her.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rz
Date: March 11, 2021 11:40AM
My son still hasn't been in the school since this time last year. He has NOT adjusted at all to remote learning. His grades are falling off a cliff. Even if they were to go back tomorrow (well, a week from Monday, since he's on spring break starting tomorrow), it would be too little, too late. I'm afraid this has been a wasted year.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 11, 2021 12:03PM
Schools that have done the right things have had little to no in school transmission. Our school district opened to in person learning in October. There have been roughly 30 confirmed cases for students and staff. NONE were as a result of transmission in the schools or during school sponsored/sanctioned activities. The biggest issue was younger staff that may not have been following guidelines during person time.

There are many kids that are either failing or falling way behind as a result of virtual learning. Kids spend 6+ hours per day on camera/screen with several hours of computer based homework. Pre Covid, schools preached about limiting screen time only to inundate them with it for virtual learning.

Once the initial lockdown happened, I told our friends that schools should have been closed for a year. What does it matter if kids graduate a year late if they don't learn what they should have. Having seen my son's HS curriculum and the way it was presented is a clear indication that the education system in the US is horrific. We're teaching kids crap that in no way prepares them to get a paying job. And he goes to a highly rated, very successful school.

NYT article on school closure failing children
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 11, 2021 12:28PM
My kids started about five weeks ago, only two days per week. They may go full time before the end of the year.

The school tests each kid at least once per week. The last few thousand tests yielded zero positives. It's getting more and more difficult for the unions to keep rejecting in person learning with each passing week.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 11, 2021 01:22PM
My kid has been in school the entire time since last March. There was a 2 week pause when COVID first hit to give time to react and implement safety measures. Since then there has been 1 staff and 1 student (Unrelated) positive cases in the entire school and they were all due to out of school activities. No transmission within the buildings occurred.

It is possible to open and stay open safely, but not within the current requirements and structure of current public education.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 01:23PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 11, 2021 05:26PM
Just think, going to high school next year means she will be going out on dates.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 12, 2021 10:38AM
My daughter's school district implemented a hybrid system that actually other schools used after seeing how successful ours was. This applied to middle and high school only. The kids were alphabetically divided up into 2 cohorts, with one cohort having in-class sessions Monday and Tuesday, while the other cohort was Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays as well as the days the kids were not in school were virtual, the school was deep-cleaned on Wednesdays. The school year was changed from semesters to quadmesters, out of the normal 6 semester classes, they were divided into 3 classes the first quad and three classes the second quad. This allowed less kids to be in school and better social distancing while in the classroom. Lockers were off-limits, and there was a special hallway flow travel implemented to also minimize social closeness as much as possible.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 396
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020