advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adobe CC Users - do you allow CC to Auto - update?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 11, 2021 08:34AM
I remember when Adobe first launched CC and in it's first years their Auto - update could be the kiss of death for working designers and I had always kept it off, checking the Adobe community boards before updating. I remember having a video/ design contractor working for me on a souped up PC and the number of days he was offline because he had switched Auto - update to on.

Since I have started using CC again in my own work at home I have set Auto - update to on and have experienced no issues in about a year but am now wondering if it is a wise practice. What do CC users here think?

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adobe CC Users - do you allow CC to Auto - update?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 11, 2021 08:45AM
I too remember that, and I think Adobe learned their lesson.

If you have time to micro manage it then leave it off just to be safe, but I've had it on for years now and no issues.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 11, 2021 08:55AM
Mine is not set to automatically update, but I update whenever there is new stuff. I honestly didn't know you could set it to auto-update.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2021 09:24AM
I dont think i have it on either, but once I see the menu bar icon with an update, I usually do it pretty quick.

Depends on what Im working on. If I have a dozen ID files open, and an update shows up... I will prob wait until I have a break to save them all first.

I haven't had any major (or minor) issues with my core CC apps -- ID, PS, Ai, DW. Seem to hum along fine. Only real thing Adobe has done that hasn't made me happy was killing Muse and dropping a ton of fonts.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 11, 2021 09:41AM
bazookaman
Mine is not set to automatically update, but I update whenever there is new stuff. I honestly didn't know you could set it to auto-update.

If you check out the CC app prefs, you’ll find you can select it for individual apps.

JoeM
Date: March 11, 2021 09:57AM
jdc
I dont think i have it on either, but once I see the menu bar icon with an update, I usually do it pretty quick.

Depends on what Im working on. If I have a dozen ID files open, and an update shows up... I will prob wait until I have a break to save them all first.

I haven't had any major (or minor) issues with my core CC apps -- ID, PS, Ai, DW. Seem to hum along fine. Only real thing Adobe has done that hasn't made me happy was killing Muse and dropping a ton of fonts.

Working on something when an app auto updates has been a concern for me and an app breaking in the middle of a project was always my fear. Now that I’m retired I don’t have to deal with that or deadlines but it certainly is a consideration for you and other working designers.

I had been having a problem with PS not saving an update across my network to a .psd opened from my other Mac Pro after their last update. After researching the error I installed Adobe’s error logging plugin and posted the error code to a support link Adobe setup to collect various error codes. While they never contacted me I now find I’m able to save updates again so I’m guessing they now have a system in place to fix certain problems that come up and having auto update on probably allowed them to install the fixed update, whose version number I don’t believe changed even though I got a notice in CC that PS was updated.

JoeM
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 11, 2021 10:23AM
I thought we were talking about auto updating just the Creative Cloud app itself, not the other apps like Photoshop / Premiere etc...
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 11, 2021 11:52AM
I usually let it auto-update everything (including the Creative Cloud app itself) except my daily driver, InDesign. I'll usually wait a day on that one, or at least until I finish whatever I'm working on, just in case.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: March 11, 2021 12:11PM
mikebw
I thought we were talking about auto updating just the Creative Cloud app itself, not the other apps like Photoshop / Premiere etc...

Sorry if I was not specific enough. I actually meant updating Adobe apps mores than the CC app itself, but since it is also an app in the collection, it certainly can be included.

JoeM
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2021 01:33PM
CC Desktop ap is set to auto-update.

CC apps NEVER.

They cannot be trusted.

As an example, they have never fixed the bug where they replace Enterprise Lightroom 7 with subscription Lightroom CC as an "update."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 434
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020