advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
buying nest protect refurbs from google is nearly as disappointing as feared
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 11, 2021 02:51PM
Nest Protect smoke detectors are somewhat unique among tech products in that they have a very specific expiration date....like all smoke detectors.

Do Google refurb sales account for this? Apparently not!

Here's the distribution until expiration date -
10 years
9 years
4x 7 years (this comes close to paying normal retail)
5 years
2 years

---

Needless to say all but two are going back. Slickdeals had a story of someone who had good luck but that doesn't seem to be consistent in my experience.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: buying nest protect refurbs from google is nearly as disappointing as feared
Posted by: davester
Date: March 11, 2021 02:53PM
Costco sells new two-packs at a fair discount.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: buying nest protect refurbs from google is nearly as disappointing as feared
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 11, 2021 02:59PM
I like the Nest smoke detectors b/c they connect wirelessly so if there's a fire in the kitchen, the alarm in my bedroom goes off. However, they are REALLY expensive. It would be nice if there were a cheaper alternative.

Date: March 11, 2021 03:22PM
bazookaman
I like the Nest smoke detectors b/c they connect wirelessly so if there's a fire in the kitchen, the alarm in my bedroom goes off. However, they are REALLY expensive. It would be nice if there were a cheaper alternative.

I think they offer a higher level of protection which is worth it but they're currently priced like a boutique tech item instead of something more practical. $80 instead of $120 would be huge in terms of perspective.

Its interesting that they haven't had more competition. Maybe they don't make money on them. Who knows.

davester
Costco sells new two-packs at a fair discount.

Yeah, I think I'll grab those next go around.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 11, 2021 03:27PM
Home Depot has Kidde 10 year, 3 pack smoke detectors for $49.97. The 10 year lithium battery is already installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 03:29PM by Forrest.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 11, 2021 06:36PM
Forrest
Home Depot has Kidde 10 year, 3 pack smoke detectors for $49.97. The 10 year lithium battery is already installed.

Hard to argue with low prices, but the added safety of the Nest alarms is worth it to me. They have more sensitive detectors, include CO detectors, are interconnected, have automatic self-tests, and will tell you through your phone if your house is on fire if you’re not home. That’s a lot of useful features for the money. Also, reviews of the Kidd’s and First Alert detectors indicate lots of false alarms.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 11, 2021 11:34PM
I requested a replacement for one and google was game. Lets see if the next one is any better. If so, I'll swap more otherwise a whole bunch are going back.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 12, 2021 05:17AM
mattkime
bazookaman

I think they offer a higher level of protection which is worth it but they're currently priced like a boutique tech item instead of something more practical. $80 instead of $120 would be huge in terms of perspective.

Its interesting that they haven't had more competition. Maybe they don't make money on them. Who knows.

I agree with everything you said. Thats why I have a bunch them in my house. But they've pretty much maintained the same price since they came out however many years ago. I guess that the effect of zero competition. There was/is another company that made/makes one but as I recall its even MORE expensive.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 12, 2021 08:55AM
And here I was, not even knowing smoke detectors have an expiration data. I thought all you did was replace the battery, unless it’s hardwired into the house’s AC like my last house had.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 12, 2021 03:33PM
deckeda
And here I was, not even knowing smoke detectors have an expiration data. I thought all you did was replace the battery, unless it’s hardwired into the house’s AC like my last house had.

Might be law now. My 10 year old non smart ones decided to all die at once and beep incessantly that they needed to be replaced. Could not reset them. Had to buy new ones.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 414
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020