advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine screwed up...again?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 11, 2021 02:52PM
I posted here about Time Machine stopping working saying my 12tb disk was full. At some point it just started working again.

Now it is saying its full again and there's not enough space to do a backup. I need to get a bigger disk (bigger than 12tb???) or exclude files. Sorry Apple. I want to use Time Machine to back up ALL my files...not SOME of them.

Anyway, to add insult to injury, it claims my OLDEST backup is YESTERDAY! WTF! If I enter Time Machine, I have the ability to go ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to...yesterday.

But the disk is full.

Btw, this is backing up a MBP that has a 2tb drive with about 1.25tb free. So its only backing up 750gb. And I thought it was ONLY backing up the files in the 750gb that had changed. But I guess I was wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 02:53PM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine screwed up...again?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2021 03:18PM
Something is 100% not right...

Can you look on your TM drive and see if there are some huge files?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 11, 2021 03:18PM
Are there more than 1 backup present? Is the drive formatted properly?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2021 03:26PM
.....so you are saying....if you could turn back time.....if you could find a.....way......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2021 03:26PM
Are you backing up a virtual machine or a large email database?

Date: March 11, 2021 03:47PM
One backup for one computer. I don't know if there are any large email db's. I don't have any on my computer. All my email is on the exchange server not my computer. No VM's. Thats on an external, which I am also not backing up. If I look on the drive itself, the earliest backup is 2020-05-19. But like I said, Time Machine (the app) only goes back as far as yesterday.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2021 06:12PM
bazookaman
One backup for one computer. I don't know if there are any large email db's. I don't have any on my computer. All my email is on the exchange server not my computer. No VM's. Thats on an external, which I am also not backing up. If I look on the drive itself, the earliest backup is 2020-05-19. But like I said, Time Machine (the app) only goes back as far as yesterday.

I think you should inventory your boot drive. If you haven't cluttered up your backup drive with stuff other than backups, this sort of problem typically occurs when you have one very large file that changes frequently, such as a virtual machine or a big email database (your email is on the Exchange server AND copied onto your Mac).

See if you can identify something big via GrandPerspective. Scan from the "Macintosh HD" level of the drive.
[grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net]

Date: March 12, 2021 05:23AM
Sarcany
bazookaman

I think you should inventory your boot drive. If you haven't cluttered up your backup drive with stuff other than backups, this sort of problem typically occurs when you have one very large file that changes frequently, such as a virtual machine or a big email database (your email is on the Exchange server AND copied onto your Mac).

See if you can identify something big via GrandPerspective. Scan from the "Macintosh HD" level of the drive.
[grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net]

I just did a quick scan with Disk Inventory X. The single largest file I have is an mp4 that is around 7gb. Sure I have other movies that are close in size but they NEVER change. So Time machine shouldn't be making multiple copies right? They've basically just been stored here b/c I'm too lazy to move them to our Thunderbay RAID. The largest files that DO change from time to time are the Adobe apps. They are a couple gb each and they get updated now and then. Thats it though. Those are the largest files I keep on my computer.

It seems like Time Machine has just @#$%& the bed and I'm going to have to erase the backup and start all over. So Time Machine has basically created a years worth of backups and now made them all unusable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 05:24AM by bazookaman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020