advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The hygienist recommended a 'waterpic' for me. Any experienced users here?
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 12, 2021 12:14AM
it seems that using an electric toothbrush and flossing (twice daily) can be improved upon. I should have asked more questions (brand, type, etc.).

Any recommendations/advice from users here? TIA

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The hygienist recommended a 'waterpic' for me. Any experienced users here?
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 12, 2021 12:57AM
I have a waterpik waterflosser I use on a daily basis after breakfast and before I brush my teeth. I do between the teeth and along the gum lines. It came with a bunch of attachments to change the nozzle type as needed; about every two years or so it “dies” as in it no longer will pump the cleaning solution. As the device costs more than $60, I checked online and sure enough the company sells the replacement parts to make it “new” again for under $20 (dollar figures are from memory, which can be somewhat suspect).

At first, I used half 3% peroxide/half water at about half power. Turn it down if it is painful, turn it up if you can tolerate it. Keep in mind that your gums are sensitive and don’t damage them. Also, you could have some rather deep pockets between the gum and tooth that will harbor bacteria, but is quite sensitive if you hit them too hard.

I went from having my hygienist telling me that I had gingivitis and my gums bled too much to having no problems and the gingivitis is gone. I even had her ask me once if I had just gotten them cleaned as she could find very little that needed done. I now just use water, but have also turned it up to a high degree. Your gums prefer to be stimulated occasionally. (Expecting Newt comment in 3 ... 2 ... )

Diana
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 12, 2021 01:08AM
Water Pik users need to be careful to NOT aim the water flow DOWN below the gum line (aim perpendicular to the tooth). The connective tissue can be damaged otherwise.

I just had me six month checkup two days ago. The dentist recommended something I've NEVER heard of. It's called an "Air Flosser"
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 12, 2021 05:26AM
testcase
It's called an "Air Flosser"

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2021 06:57AM
......you can't pik your friends or your family.....but you can pik........your nose......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 06:57AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 12, 2021 07:25AM
Now they make “fusion” models that combine an electric toothbrush and a waterpik.

Mine works okay. Kind of convenient not having two devices.

Google it.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 12, 2021 08:37AM
Just my opinion:
They work!. My daughter, a dental hygienist, kept insisting I get one because my teeth would benefit. I finally got one and found she is right. Some old dogs can be taught new tricks.

Get one with several pressure levels and a SINGLE on/off switch. If it has separate on and off buttons, you will not find the off button half the time until you spray the bathroom or fill you mouth with water. The Off button moves and hides on its own.

The rechargeable kind is easier to use...no hose or wires to hinder use.

steve...
it seems that using an electric toothbrush and flossing (twice daily) can be improved upon. I should have asked more questions (brand, type, etc.).

Any recommendations/advice from users here? TIA

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 12, 2021 09:06AM
hygienist rec'd this waterpik waterflosser as well.
made improvements in our check-ups as well.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 12, 2021 09:46AM
The one most recommended is the Waterpic Aquarius. I have it. The problem is that you have to lean way over with your head just over the sink to avoid massive gushing. If you are over six feet, you have real problems. Get prepared to flex.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 12, 2021 09:54AM
I had our hygienist one time tell me that my teeth looked like I flossed them regularly and I told her that, to be honest, I rarely did. She then asked if I used a waterpik; no, I had one as a kid but hadn't used one in about 40 years. I told her I used a setting on the shower head to do it.

She laughed; didn't believe me at first. Still and all, that's what I do. Grit my teeth and spray them for a bit.

She and the dentist both commented that my teeth and gums looked great, so I must be doing something right.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 12, 2021 09:57AM
Waterpic must grease all the dental hygienists. Mine just recommended as well.

JPK
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 12, 2021 09:58AM
I have one and have used it with success. After a stern talk my wife has used it with similar success. Its annoying for about the first week and then it becomes normal. Do it.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 12, 2021 10:17AM
I got a model at Costco that included a handheld unit that has its own built-in reservoir. You have to charge it every couple weeks, but I'm always impressed with the amount of gunk it pries out from between my teeth when I rinse.... One fill of the reservoir is good for a thorough rinsing, and you can use water, mouthwash, or as others have mentioned, a peroxide mix. I've never been a big floss fan, so this has been a big plus for my dental hygiene.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 12, 2021 10:34AM
.....and can be used as emergency.....'bidet'........???

Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 12, 2021 10:35AM
I got the Costco twin pack too. I’ve only used the portable version. Me, the water flosser, and a tea kettle of warm water head downstairs to my porch where I hang over the railing for splash control. I use one reservoir per quadrant and a fifth for a cleanup cycle. Hygienist has been pleased.

=wr=
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 12, 2021 10:39AM
JPK
Waterpic must grease all the dental hygienists. Mine just recommended as well.

JPK

Mine too! Must be the year of Waterpics!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 12, 2021 11:09AM
Must be the year of Waterpics!

I remember the years of fears of waterpics.

Lots of ads with pics of badly damaged gums alleged to be the result of waterpic use.

I'd only seen a couple of commercials showing how they'e supposed to be used, and eventually surmised that actual gum damage would be the result of using one in appropriately, and not just using one.

There was also a short lived fad of using them inappropriately, not as a dentifrice, but that doesn't need explaining here.

I floss and I doubt a waterpic device can completely replace flossing, but I kind of like the idea of combining or alternating the two.

That handheld device sound worth looking into.

I don't care for a tank device taking up room on the bathroom counter, and a connecting tube, etc.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 12, 2021 11:12AM
pdq
Now they make “fusion” models that combine an electric toothbrush and a waterpik.

Mine works okay. Kind of convenient not having two devices.

It should be clarified that the convenience really comes from having 1 device and not 2. It does NOT come from multi-tasking!

When I got mine, I thought, great, I'll brush and floss at the same time and save time! Of course, that doesn't actually work, because the flossing washes all the toothpaste out of your mouth right away! But I still "pre-brush" and floss simultaneously (i.e. I run the brush head without toothpaste while flossing), and then I will brush normally afterwards.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 12, 2021 12:33PM
Another Costco double pack user here. Took first pack back when little unit failed. Still using replacement big unit long after second little unit failed. Gotta replace the hose/handheld wand thingy every ~3 years for ~$10 - $12. Still going strong. Only use 2X weekly, but also use G•U•M Soft Floss Picks pretty much daily. A la Diana, I spruce up the waterpik's reservoir w/ splashes of additives; mouthwash, dental hygiene rinse, and H2O2, and have found it more comfortable to use warm water. Once a year (or when the pump starts weakening) I run some cleaning solution thru the waterpik to clean out the pump, since our water quality sucks.... small price to pay for the comfort of using warm water, vs. bottled or filtered (which I did use for years).

Get one, use it, and good luck.
==
Posted by: d4
Date: March 12, 2021 12:47PM
My dentist specifically told me to steer clear of waterpiks.
To use gum picks instead. The added benefit of them being readily available in your pocket when at work (before covid) after breakfast/lunch/coffee break snack, etc.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 12, 2021 01:48PM
d4
To use gum picks instead. The added benefit of them being readily available in your pocket when at work (before covid) after breakfast/lunch/coffee break snack, etc.

My dentist recommended the exact same product for me as well.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 12, 2021 02:54PM
d4

I use the curved handle version of these too. From the Costco of course.

=wr=
Date: March 12, 2021 05:52PM
.....that's what she said (too - curved one)......!!!

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 12, 2021 08:22PM
freeradical
d4

I started out with these but didn't feel good about so much disposable plastic.

Posted by: steve...
Date: March 12, 2021 10:45PM
Thanks for all the replies. I think we can agree the forum endorses Waterpics. The best deal for me may be at Kohls with coupons!

Thanks again. thumbs up

Northern California Coast
Posted by: d4
Date: March 14, 2021 12:40PM
mattkime
freeradical
d4

I started out with these but didn't feel good about so much disposable plastic.

How much plastic, metal, wires, electronics and chemicals were used in the manufacture of yours? It will one day be in the dump as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 1119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020