advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Backing up photos to the cloud
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 15, 2021 12:10PM
I'm still using iPhoto on High Sierra and I'm confused about my options to backup to the cloud. I'd like to have the facial recognition feature and I'd like to have access from anywhere. But from what I can tell there's no way to upload my iPhoto library to iCloud. I'm looking at my options.

1) Move to Photos-This seems like the easiest but I would lose the ability to group pictures by Event (which I like) and it seems like every stupid picture I take on my iPhone would end up in my library. I don't want that as I take pictures of cartoons and cute stuff all the time that doesn't need to be in my library.

2) Backup to Google Photos-This is easy and it does provide facial recognition BUT the backup app grabs photos from many places regardless of setting the preferences to grab only my Masters folder in iPhoto and again I end up with a bunch of photos in the cloud that I don't want.

3) Backup to Dropbox-I don't see any option for facial recognition. It says it will only backup folders that I specify but I haven't experimented yet.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Backing up photos to the cloud
Posted by: clay
Date: March 15, 2021 01:35PM
I guess you have to decide what is most important about this cloud backup. Is the ability to to maintain a particular feature (like Events groupings, facial recognition, etc) most important? Then use Photos and iCloud storage. If you just want to be sure that the underlying photo files are backed up, then either Google, Dropbox or any other cloud service should be able to handle those just fine. There will be tradeoffs (some of which you have already identified) with any of the services. Some of those tradeoffs may be managed by some manual adjustments, but some things might end up just needing to learn to work around so as not to disturb the syncing functions that are critical to your needs.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 15, 2021 02:23PM
I'm confused. This sounds more like you want your main accessible copy in the cloud rather than a backup. If it's a backup, why would you want facial recognition? A backup should be a pristine copy that you don't touch unless your main library goes down.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 15, 2021 03:05PM
I explained my goal poorly. I backup to multiple TimeMachine drives including one that is offsite. So I'm actually pretty good on the backup front. What I really want is to have my photos available to me from wherever I am AND facial recognition.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 15, 2021 03:11PM
davemchine
1) Move to Photos-This seems like the easiest but I would lose the ability to group pictures by Event (which I like) and it seems like every stupid picture I take on my iPhone would end up in my library.

I use Photos and import only what I want. Once imported, it's easy to create an album for an event—select the desired photos, cntrl-click any one of them, go to New Album in the resulting contextual menu…and you're done.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 15, 2021 03:40PM
If using iCloud and Photos.app, you may consider turning on My Photo Stream.
If I understand the feature, any shot taken will be available n your devices for 30 days, but not added to the library. You will need to manually add the keeper shots to your Library.
Also, “memories” in the “for you” tab sounds a lot like event albums.
Spend some time using it, and it will better reflect your prefs.
Date: March 15, 2021 03:49PM
I’m giving Amazon Photos a try and so far it’s working well. Photo recognitions seems to work well and it’s only drawing in pictures from my ~/Pictures folder. This might be a solution until I’m ready to move away from iPhoto. I’ll report back once it’s done uploading 126GB. Looks like it will take about a week.

[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020