Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a digital food thermometer
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 17, 2021 04:34PM
I would not be using it for meat.
I have one of those little pencil style ones with the analog dial on the top, but it is really slow.
I would be using it for baking, checking water temperature, and checking the center of things like a casserole.
I won’t need to leave it in the oven, just need to stick it into whatever and get an instant read of the temp.
I don’t really want to spend more than $20.

Any recommendations?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a digital food thermometer
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 17, 2021 04:51PM
We bought this one about three years ago and it's been great. It says meat thermometer, but I also use it to check water temperature when I'm baking bread. $13.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2021 04:52PM
Try this= save $30
plus tax and shipping,
Thermoworks makes the best thermometers. Fast rugged and backed by company. All the other get at least some negative reviews. These don't.

[www.thermoworks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2021 04:55PM by Steve G..
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 17, 2021 05:05PM
I know there's a lot of Thermapen fans about, but I bought the
DOQAUS Instant Read Meat Thermometer from Amz several months ago
for $9.79 and have been quite pleased with it.
A big pro is it uses one CR2032 battery, same as most keyfobs!
Two year warranty. 4.6 Stars w/ 3,900 ratings

It's currently $10.40 (after coupon) @ bezosville

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 17, 2021 05:06PM
Depends upon your commitment to cooking. You could get the cheap one and replace it with something more expensive later if it dies on you. Of course, if it dies on you you're probably wondering if you food is well cooked.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 17, 2021 05:28PM
I got this for Christmas. I've tested it out and seems to be pretty quick in getting a temp.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: March 17, 2021 05:39PM
mattkime
Depends upon your commitment to cooking. You could get the cheap one and replace it with something more expensive later if it dies on you. Of course, if it dies on you you're probably wondering if you food is well cooked.

I would say my commitment is low, lol, but I do sometimes need to know the temp of something.
I have resorted to using my Kinsa people thermometer to get the temp of water, as my pencil type meat thermometer was so slow.
I doubt I could justify more than a $20 expenditure, based on how often I use one.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 17, 2021 06:09PM
have a 16 yo Thermapen that we've been quite happy with.
Not cheap. Like $90 back then, but it is 16 yo and, at least then, made in the USA or the UK (I forget). -58º (?) to 572º F. The high range is useful when I make pizza. I can tap the terra cotta tiles to see if they hot. I want that pizza cooked in 7 mins.

I did see one at CostCo if you're a member, last week.
Like $20. Polder Deluxe Safe-Serve Instant Read Thermometer

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 17, 2021 06:16PM
I almost never used the handful of $10 thermometers I've had over the last 20 years. They were painfully slow and not very accurate, so my commitment level was rock bottom. They were cheap and not terribly useful, so they'd eventually get damaged when I'd leave them out in the rain by the grill or jam them into the utensil drawer with no love lost.

So a year or two ago I spent about the same amount of money on a $34 Thermoworks Thermopop (often on sale for less) than I had over those 20 years on all the others put together. I use the Thermopop more every month than I ever used all the others combined because I can count on it being nearly instantaneous and accurate.

There very well may be some good no-name knockoffs these days as suggested by MrNoBody. But it's not worth $20 or even $10 if you don't use it or you can't count on it being reasonably accurate. At that point, why bother?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 17, 2021 06:20PM
And I can see where you're coming from. I was tempted by the Thermapen but couldn't justify the price. Seeing how much I use this, I've changed my tune and may eventually get one someday. That $30 off is a very good deal.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 17, 2021 06:24PM
This one, made by the same folks that make the Thermapen, is vastly cheaper, only slightly slower, and has been going strong for me for several years. Highly recommended.

[www.thermoworks.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: March 17, 2021 06:33PM
+1 for Thermapop. I swear, every time I use it I wonder why I struggled for so many years with other brands.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 17, 2021 07:05PM
I really like this one:
Kizen Instant Read Meat Thermometer - Best Waterproof Ultra Fast Thermometer with Backlight & Calibration. Kizen Digital Food Thermometer for Kitchen, Outdoor Cooking, BBQ, and Grill!
by Kizen
[www.amazon.com]

JoeM
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 17, 2021 07:14PM
Yeah if you're not going to buy a Thermapen (one of the truly rare products within any segment arguably the best overall) then I'd still stick with something else by Thermoworks.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 17, 2021 07:24PM
davester
This one, made by the same folks that make the Thermapen, is vastly cheaper, only slightly slower, and has been going strong for me for several years. Highly recommended.

[www.thermoworks.com]

Good suggestion. I already own a ThermoPop. I was too tempted by the sale price ($80 w/ ship & taxes)
Date: March 17, 2021 07:38PM
Ok, so maybe one of the lesser ones by Thermoworks then.

Thanks for letting me know who the “Apple” of this market is.
I guess t’s like my Breville toaster oven, more expensive but worth it, but I use my Breville almost every day, this item, not so much. Lol

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 17, 2021 08:13PM
Late to the party, but here to say that I bought a pen-style Weber for $15. -This will do.
The more I got a hang on the temp thingie, I started to resent its speed (accurate, but took a long time).
The next sale event I bought a thermopop, this will be enough, I said.
A year later I broke for the Thermapen mk4 on a good sale. The thing is Good.
Meat, bread, cooking surfaces, water, I’ve even temp’d my lil’kid with it... not poking, though.

Shipping is not free, so If you end up ordering from thermoworks, consider their round trivet!!
Great to hold hot stuff, opening jars, faster than a glove...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2021 08:25PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: March 17, 2021 09:17PM
Just get a cheap. one out of barbecue aisle . 2 ofthem have lasted years .
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 17, 2021 09:19PM
rgG
Ok, so maybe one of the lesser ones by Thermoworks then.

Thanks for letting me know who the “Apple” of this market is.
I guess t’s like my Breville toaster oven, more expensive but worth it, but I use my Breville almost every day, this item, not so much. Lol

Consider how most of them have one or more buttons to do whatever. Now consider that the Thermapen has no buttons, yet does not need them. I kid you not, it "just works" and in a way that's pleasing to use.

Every once in a while the older MK3 goes on sale for less, but the MK4 has been current for a few years now. It has a degree of waterproofness, an automatic light, auto-display rotation, just neat little touches that feels like quality.
Date: March 17, 2021 09:35PM
I’ll bet those are Thermapens they use on the Great British Baking Show. Lol

Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 17, 2021 09:59PM
I've had a Thermapen for years now. They're pricey but great.

I think this guy reccomended them.

[www.cookingforengineers.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 17, 2021 11:25PM
I got this from AMZ, $18.

Very fast, I like it.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 18, 2021 02:13AM
I went w/ one also by JoeM's Kizen outfit quite awhile back...
allegedly a #1 best seller at AMZ this week. yum smiley

I'd bet that it's also probably the same as Rammie's choice, as many identical units are available w/ different branding, all likely from the same Chinese manufacturer. Just check history w/ tres camellos, and set a strike price that's comfortable for you, then pounce; you'll get one < $13 w/o breaking much of a sweat, <$15 w/ no sweat. Just pick one from the best sellers list that has a color you like, best/attractive warranty, any extras (batteries, case, etc.) that tickle your fancy, and you'll be fine.

You'll be especially fine if you check the calibration, and recalibrate as/if needed, before using it to cook something expensive.
Bon apetit.
==
Date: March 18, 2021 07:37AM
Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Now I have a few good choices rather than a few thousand choices, at AMZ. Lol

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 18, 2021 09:31AM
rgC,

Nothing wrong with an old-fashioned dial model. Easy to clean. No batteries. Use, clean, put away. The only reaosn I replaced a dial model is because water got into it during cleaning process. Got a cheap digital model. Worked fine until the same thing happened. In that case, it's because the thermometer slipped out of my hands into the sink. Replaced it with this:

[www.thermoworks.com]

Perfect. The price is fair. Splashproof. Should be able to handle a quick dunk in the event I drop it in the sink during a wash. If not, the Thermopop isn't so expensive that I can't easily replace it with another.

Buy it when Thermoworks has it on sale. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 18, 2021 10:58AM
....have one....but it wasn't used in food........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 18, 2021 10:58AM
The ThermoPro brand with the wireless reader is great for outdoor monitoring of my grill when I slow cook something. I have the TP-21

But, you know, STFF!

Sorry! Been wanting to use that oldie again.... Hehehe
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 18, 2021 01:31PM
Thermapen MK4 special purple model on sale now $69 + $5 S/H

[slickdeals.net]
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 18, 2021 02:29PM
I use this

[www.thermoworks.com]

[at work]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020