advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Seeking Recommendations On Web Cam
Posted by: jh
Date: March 19, 2021 12:29PM
Looked at previous discussions and just want to see if there are any changes. Have no experience with web cams so seeking the wisdom of the group.

Have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) connected to 27" monitor. Use the monitor only and not the laptop screen. Currently running Sierra but will move it to Mohave eventually. Use headphones for listening and would do that in this case.

Retired so not needing it for anything work related. Talking to scattered family/relatives etc.

Budget is give or take $100.00 but can go a little higher if quality is an issue or if I am not being realistic about price.

Thanks in advance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Seeking Recommendations On Web Cam
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 19, 2021 01:14PM
Logitech makes some great webcams. I have three of them in the home. One older and 2 within the last year. All are still working like champs! Select the one you want depending on the features/specs you want.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 19, 2021 01:32PM
There are a number of apps that allow you to use your iphone as a webcam. great solution especially if you have an old back up phone. I've been using the Epoccam app with an Iphone 6s and an iphone X.

search on youtube for lots of examples.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 19, 2021 02:16PM
iPhone, starting with a 6, is as good as any current webcam.

The newer ones are much better.
Posted by: jh
Date: March 19, 2021 05:13PM
Don't have any iPhones or old phones of that nature. Oh well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 19, 2021 05:36PM
Zero problem with our $27 aukey mentioned here several times. Done at least 20 zooms so far.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 19, 2021 06:14PM
graylocks
There are a number of apps that allow you to use your iphone as a webcam. great solution especially if you have an old back up phone. I've been using the Epoccam app with an Iphone 6s and an iphone X.

search on youtube for lots of examples.

This suggestion is a great once since iPhone cameras tend to be better image quality over many webcams. The catch is the free version is 640x480 (no audio) and the HD version is $8. Not bad price considering a good quality webcam is well above $8.

I used this approach until someone gave me a logitech that is a tad easier to mount for optimal flattering angles.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: March 19, 2021 06:28PM
pRICE cUBE -

Yes, the $8 for Epoccam is well worth the price of admission. I played with a few free apps but IIRC they only worked wirelessly and I preferred having the USB option.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 20, 2021 07:27AM
just out of curiosity what other good apps are there in addition to Epoccam? cost up to $10 or so is OK. I would not pay $50 for an App since I cold probably get a wb cam for that price.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 20, 2021 10:25AM
jdc
Zero problem with our $27 aukey mentioned here several times. Done at least 20 zooms so far.

This. How does one mount an old phone on a monitor to provide a nice view angle? Putting it below the monitor provides a view up one's nose. Spend the $30 for a decent camera designed for web use instead. It's plenty good for the intended use.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 20, 2021 11:34AM
This is all making me think of using my iPh5 as a dovecam. The problem is how to supply power and make sure the phone doesn't get exposed to the elements...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: March 20, 2021 12:16PM
macphanatic
This. How does one mount an old phone on a monitor to provide a nice view angle? Putting it below the monitor provides a view up one's nose. Spend the $30 for a decent camera designed for web use instead. It's plenty good for the intended use.

There are plenty of desktop tripods and phone holders that enable a multitude of possible angles that a cam mounted on the front of a monitor does not. I spent $70 on a Logictech 920. Wish I had known about using the iphone before I bought it as my iphones provide a much better picture and I already owned them.

Of course it does depend upon your needs. If I just needed a cam for office work Zoom calls then perhaps even the Logitech would have been overkill. But I stream live music shows so the cam needs to not be confined to my computer monitor and as high a resolution as possible. The iphone cams are considerably less expensive than buying a real camera like a Canon or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2021 12:17PM by graylocks.
Date: March 20, 2021 12:24PM
space-time
just out of curiosity what other good apps are there in addition to Epoccam? cost up to $10 or so is OK. I would not pay $50 for an App since I cold probably get a wb cam for that price.

Probably best to look on youtube for Iphone webcams. I remember a number of them were free or cheap but they required you buying an additional piece of equipment called a video capture device. I remember thinking those weren't cheap.

Filmic Pro is $15 with a ton of features. They also have a free app called Doubletake which I found kind of interesting in that it allows you to use each lens on multi-lens phones separately. Nothing i could use since I film by myself in a static environment but I saw how it opened up possibilities.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 20, 2021 12:43PM
graylocks
... allows you to use each lens on multi-lens phones separately.

[www.filmicpro.com]

Kewl!...
Switching around between them could be fun, even on a live scenario.
Date: March 20, 2021 01:08PM
rich in distress

Switching around between them could be fun, even on a live scenario.

yes but I'm a one woman operation so I have to fix the cam and then go in front of it to play. too bad my son has no interest in being a psuedo filmaker.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 20, 2021 01:56PM
Good point haha...
Date: March 21, 2021 03:14PM
space-time

Primal Video just posted this review of Epoccam and Iriun. I have learned a lot from this guy.

How to Use Your PHONE as a Webcam (iPhone & Android!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020