advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Big Sur keeps kicking Chrome out of Location Services after every Chrome Update
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 20, 2021 12:27PM
It's tiresome. You literally have to go into preferences, go to Security, click on the lock icon, type in the stupid password, check the box next to Chrome, click the lock icon, close the preferences until the next week when Chrome updates again.

Every time Big Sur updates I hope it's been fixed but it has not been fixed. What's the point of having a fingerprint scanner if you don't let me effing use it Apple?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Big Sur keeps kicking Chrome out of Location Services after every Chrome Update
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 20, 2021 12:29PM
Why would you want Chrome tracking your location?

Re: Big Sur keeps kicking Chrome out of Location Services after every Chrome Update
Date: March 20, 2021 12:35PM
Sarcany
Why would you want Chrome tracking your location?

What are they gonna do? Send a hit squad to my house?

If I'm on a map and I ask it to navigate a destination and it doesn't know where I am, what good is that?

Who are they to tell me what I want to have access to location? Trying to force me to use Safari. I don't want to use Safari. This can't be legal. I just need it fixed.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 20, 2021 12:38PM
emoticon-tv-015

Chrome user!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 20, 2021 12:51PM
I agree with Sarcany and btfc on the big picture, but I agree authentication should be done with fingerprint reader.
Isn’t there a setting or something?
Date: March 20, 2021 01:01PM
rich in distress
I agree with Sarcany and btfc on the big picture, but I agree authentication should be done with fingerprint reader.
Isn’t there a setting or something?

How can you agree with that? A browser needs location access to function properly. You click on locations is a restaurant's locations tab and it can't tell where you are unless you type in the location?

It obviously lets me add Chrome to locations. Why would it allow me to do that? Why would they undo what I did?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 20, 2021 03:31PM
Never noticed.

I use Safari for this and shopping and default.
I use Firefox for Local newspapers and delete the cookies upon closing.
I use Dissenter for Twitter and such.
Dissenter is built on Chrome
Version 0.70.122 Chromium: 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I used to use Brave but have not loaded on the M1 yet and may not.

Edit to add honorable mention to Opera and CyberDog.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2021 03:32PM by Bernie.
Date: March 20, 2021 03:41PM
vision63
How can you agree with that? A browser needs location access to function properly.

It never did and it never will.

vision63
You click on locations is a restaurant's locations tab and it can't tell where you are unless you type in the location?

Anyone who requests access to your location-data is not doing so for your benefit.

Any half-decent site would let you type in a zip code or city/state to search for businesses near that zip code. They already have your general location from your IP address, so the zip code doesn't add to your peril. They do NOT need your actual location.

They shouldn't even have an IP address without asking you for it, but "big data" companies think they have a right to your entire life, and with the exception of Tor all of the browser-makers cooperate with them, including Apple.

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 20, 2021 05:18PM
Since it’s Big Sur Cahuna, I’ve reconsidered.
Now I think that sharing location with an app is such a big deal, that it makes sense you are required to authenticate with password, like sudo or chmod.
And it makes sense that resets after updating, because it’s a permission, not a preference.
I also concur that a browser doesn’t need your location. But it can use it at the very least, to offer relevant geographic ads.
Date: March 20, 2021 11:00PM
Sarcany
vision63
How can you agree with that? A browser needs location access to function properly.

It never did and it never will.

vision63
You click on locations is a restaurant's locations tab and it can't tell where you are unless you type in the location?

Anyone who requests access to your location-data is not doing so for your benefit.

Any half-decent site would let you type in a zip code or city/state to search for businesses near that zip code. They already have your general location from your IP address, so the zip code doesn't add to your peril. They do NOT need your actual location.

They shouldn't even have an IP address without asking you for it, but "big data" companies think they have a right to your entire life, and with the exception of Tor all of the browser-makers cooperate with them, including Apple.

I don't want to type in a zip code. The site asks for permission to use my location. I give it permission THEN the Mac tells me Chrome is blocked. I go into settings to
include it into Locations and it sticks until Chrome updates. Chrome works on the iPhone and iPad just fine. I want what I want. If you know a way let me know.
Date: March 20, 2021 11:39PM
vision63
I want what I want.

Your passion impresses me.

I truly hope you don't have to bear the consequences.

Date: March 21, 2021 12:06AM
Sarcany
vision63
I want what I want.

Your passion impresses me.

I truly hope you don't have to bear the consequences.

I never will because nothing bad is ever going to happen via Chrome. I'm decades in on this internet thing. Hasn't beat me yet. I don't need nanny Apple trying to force me to use their tools. I do use Safari sometimes. It's just not as good as Chrome. I don't truck with paranoia.

But if you know how to make it stick, let me know. There are lots of people having the same problem but they haven't figured it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020