Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Handbrake Batch — fix to get custom presets
Posted by: dmag
Date: March 23, 2021 05:50AM
Hi,

Handbrake Batch (free) used to recognize custom presets, but somewhere along the line, the MacOS and HB parted company. Now, the app offers only a set of default presets, and not one's custom list.

I saw the old instructions from the developer on how to do the fix by altering the "UserPresets.plist", but it's way above my paygrade.

Askng if anybody has a working copy they can share, which does see custom presets.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Handbrake Batch — fix to get custom presets
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 23, 2021 04:57PM
It might help to list the OS and version of Handbrake.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 23, 2021 06:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman
It might help to list the OS and version of Handbrake.

I'm using Handbrake 1.3.3 and Handbrake Batch 2.25

OS = Catalina, 10.15.7
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 23, 2021 06:24PM
dmag
Handbrake Batch (free) used to recognize custom presets, but somewhere along the line, the MacOS and HB parted company. Now, the app offers only a set of default presets, and not one's custom list.

I don't think that's so.

In the latest version of Handbrake, if I modify a setting in the main window and then click on the "Presets" option in the toolbar, I can then click the "+" (plus) icon in the Presets window to add a new preset.

Tested on multiple Macs.

Date: March 23, 2021 06:31PM
Sarcany
dmag

I don't think that's so.

In the latest version of Handbrake, if I modify a setting in the main window and then click on the "Presets" option in the toolbar, I can then click the "+" (plus) icon in the Presets window to add a new preset.

Tested on multiple Macs.

Are you referring to the app "Handbrake Batch" or Handbrake? I need a fix for Handbrake Batch.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 23, 2021 06:59PM
I've used HandbrakeBatch in the past with good results but like OP I've stopped due to outdated presets. I see on the HandbrakeBatch website it says development was stopped because the regular Handbrake now supports batch processing. News to me! I did a quick google search but only found instructions for the windows version. Then I saw a post on another forum that might be helpful. I tried it and it works. Really good tip!

Open the directory containing the .mkv files just select it not a file in it. Now you will see it scanning each file and generating the previews for each one. Once it completes go to the files menu and select the add all titles option making sure you have your settings you want for the output files already set. A dialog will then appear asking you if you want to add all the files you have the option to deselect to exclude any file you wish from the processing. This option is in the newer versions if it is not there then you need to upgrade your install.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2021 07:01PM by davemchine.
Date: March 23, 2021 07:27PM
davemchine
I've used HandbrakeBatch in the past with good results but like OP I've stopped due to outdated presets. I see on the HandbrakeBatch website it says development was stopped because the regular Handbrake now supports batch processing. News to me! I did a quick google search but only found instructions for the windows version. Then I saw a post on another forum that might be helpful. I tried it and it works. Really good tip!

Open the directory containing the .mkv files just select it not a file in it. Now you will see it scanning each file and generating the previews for each one. Once it completes go to the files menu and select the add all titles option making sure you have your settings you want for the output files already set. A dialog will then appear asking you if you want to add all the files you have the option to deselect to exclude any file you wish from the processing. This option is in the newer versions if it is not there then you need to upgrade your install.

Yes, batching is possible in Handbrake. However, you have to manually add each file to the queue, perhaps adjusting some settings for each file.

To get around this, Handbrake Batch loads all files on a drag and drop basis. However, the issue now is that presets are in the dark ages (see original post above). To have Handbrake Batch recognize our custom presets, we need to figure out how to edit the UserPresets.plist file, as listed on their website. I can't figure that out.

Hoping to get that help.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 23, 2021 08:27PM
Dmag, you are incorrect about having to manually add each file to Handbrake. Re-read what I posted. I tested it before posting and it works. It was news to me but very welcome news.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: March 23, 2021 10:18PM
davemchine
Dmag, you are incorrect about having to manually add each file to Handbrake. Re-read what I posted. I tested it before posting and it works. It was news to me but very welcome news.

You're right, I did miss it. I'll try that.

Thanks!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 24, 2021 06:50AM
Sorry. I misunderstood the problem.

I tested HandBrakeBatch a few different ways. Initially, I observed that it was looking in the ~/Library/Application Support folder for Handbrake presets, but Handbrake no longer saves its settings there. When I copied the support folder to that location, HandBrakeBatch picked up the fact that the presets were present there, but threw an error reading them. Handbrake no longer uses the same XML structure that it did when HandBrakeBatch was written. I think that ends it right there.

I hope that Handbrake's built-in batch conversions work out for you.

Date: March 24, 2021 07:49AM
Sarcany
Sorry. I misunderstood the problem.

I tested HandBrakeBatch a few different ways. Initially, I observed that it was looking in the ~/Library/Application Support folder for Handbrake presets, but Handbrake no longer saves its settings there. When I copied the support folder to that location, HandBrakeBatch picked up the fact that the presets were present there, but threw an error reading them. Handbrake no longer uses the same XML structure that it did when HandBrakeBatch was written. I think that ends it right there.

I hope that Handbrake's built-in batch conversions work out for you.

Thanks for the effort.

I tried Davemchine's batch info, and while it does load all files up, there is still a problem. The audio doesn't load for most of the files. I ran about 15 videos in the first time, and about a third had no audio. I had to rerun them, adding them manually, using the dropdown menu to select the audio track, plus change stereo to mono, and 160K to 128K.

I tried to edit the preset but it doesn't lock in the audio settings I want. It's still a file by file issue.

It doesn't take long, so I'm okay with it. Was just hoping for a totally automated solution.

Thanks guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020