advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Formatting a logo for Windows users
Posted by: DP
Date: March 23, 2021 10:45AM
My wife is doing a project for a local city program helping kids to read. She has designed a logo for them and it is a rectangle but has rounded corners and when she sends it to them, they say the image is a rectangle with white filling the space created by the rounded corners. Does this make sense? I don't have time right now to render a sample...

So, they say they want a .jpeg or .png but you can't flatten an image in .jpeg or .png that it doesn't fill in the background (checkerboard area) with white. Also, they can't use a layered file, like a .psd or a .tiff! Still with me?

OK, so we thought of making it as a .eps. But, they are administrators and don't know InDesign and/or Illustrator, and are working with Windows. They are expecting for my wife to send them the logo file and be able to lift the logo and drop in into whatever program they are using without seeing the square corners of the logo being white!

As a result-and since my wife is on a Mac, using ID4 and IL4-we are stumped as how to solve this. What word processing app (I guess) would Windows users have that we can send them the logo correctly and what file format would we need for it? We haven't sent an .eps yet to see if that will work as my wife is busy elsewhere for a while before she can get back to her computer. She will ask what app they're using too. And, of course, this was due yesterday...
I also have to get back to staining my deck and really don't have time for this as rain is predicted tonight!

So, it will be a little while before I can get back to see any of your solutions, if any! But any help is appreciated!

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Formatting a logo for Windows users
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 23, 2021 10:50AM
My humble suggestion:

It is what it is.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 23, 2021 10:56AM
What file did she send them to begin with?

Just send a PNG file. PNG supports transparency and is readable by EVERYONE. Windows or Mac.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2021 10:57AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 23, 2021 12:23PM
yep. png.

What application did she use? You want the checkerboard background... that means its transparent.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 23, 2021 12:28PM
bazookaman

Just send a PNG file. PNG supports transparency and is readable by EVERYONE. Windows or Mac.

Huh. She said she sent a .png and was told, nope! Should it be saved a certain way? The logo right now is showing that it can only be saved as a copy in .png. She says there is no path and all did was make a box in ID4 for the shape of the logo but that's it.

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 23, 2021 01:03PM
DP
bazookaman

Huh. She said she sent a .png and was told, nope! Should it be saved a certain way? The logo right now is showing that it can only be saved as a copy in .png. She says there is no path and all did was make a box in ID4 for the shape of the logo but that's it.

My version if ID is much newer but when I choose File > Export I can choose PNG. Once I do, you have a dialog that pops up with a checkbox for transparency. She needs to make sure thats checked. Thats the key. Also that she doesn't inadvertently have a fill on the round rectangle in the document.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 24, 2021 01:29AM
I tried PNG, PSD, and PDF. They all worked fine.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 24, 2021 08:09PM
You need to make sure you select transparency to be encoded in it when saving. It's not automatic. There are two versions of PNG: PNG-8, and PNG-24. A 8-bit PNG comprises a max. of 256 colors and is smaller in size. PNG-24 is a loss-less format and can contain up to 16 million colors.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020