advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook Marketplace
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 23, 2021 02:31PM
I don't have Facebook, but it seems that Facebook Marketplace is becoming the defacto place to buy and sell stuff.

I really don't want Facebook. Is there a way to create a minimal account to be able to use just Facebook Marketplace?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook Marketplace
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 23, 2021 03:02PM
You are absolutely right on your assessment of Facebook marketplace. In a small town like mine, craigslist is not very effective, but Facebook marketplace is the best thing since sliced bread. I created a fake profile and use it only for selling (did this about a year or two ago). After you have Several buyerreviews, people will trust you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2021 03:02PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: March 23, 2021 03:08PM
So, at the risk of sounding dumb, how did you create a fake profile? Is all you need a throwaway email address?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 23, 2021 03:25PM
Use any first name, last name you want although I don’t see the advantage here. You’re going to be doing business with people who might not appreciate learning who you are until you show up.

You don’t have to “friend” anyone or click on any links in the timeline. You can pretty much just only visit the Marketplace.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2021 03:35PM
I sold my old civic with it ! I could even check out the public profile of the buyers so I knew what to expec. That was very comforting
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 23, 2021 03:36PM
I think the advice to have a fake profile is way off base. the advantage of FB Marketplace to me is that's it's NOT anonymous like Craigslist and thus a bit more of accountability. Honesty does count for something in my view.

Yes, you can set up a minimal account with every privacy setting in place that you can research. The only disadvantage of not having a slightly more present profile is that I sometimes look at a seller's profile to help discern if they are a real person or a scammer. of course, any info can be faked but it's a start.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: rz
Date: March 23, 2021 03:41PM
My wife uses Facebook, so I haven't needed to create an account. We've sold several things on it recently. Seems to be better than Craigslist. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to browse it without an account
Posted by: Z
Date: March 23, 2021 04:05PM
FB Marketplace is effectively choking CL out in my local market. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 23, 2021 04:24PM
I generally avoid FB however, when I was selling my "stick & brick", my realtor was familiar with FB Marketplace. I had LOTS of "stuff" I needed to get rid of and the realtor took care of ALL the pictures and postings. She used my phone number. Generally, people called, showed up with cash and got good to great deals and I got some cash. MUCH better than Craigslist
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 23, 2021 04:26PM
graylocks
I think the advice to have a fake profile is way off base. the advantage of FB Marketplace to me is that's it's NOT anonymous like Craigslist and thus a bit more of accountability. Honesty does count for something in my view.

Yes, you can set up a minimal account with every privacy setting in place that you can research. The only disadvantage of not having a slightly more present profile is that I sometimes look at a seller's profile to help discern if they are a real person or a scammer. of course, any info can be faked but it's a start.

The irony in my case is, exactly like you said, I rely on the lack of anonymity and transparency that Facebook provides in allowing me to screen customers. Actually it’s more like, since someone’s social media rep is at stake, customers don’t tend to miss behave.

In my case I sell a lot of stuff, and sometimes I have to make outlandish stories on why I’m selling something (people don’t like to know you’re buying stuff cheap from the stores on clearance and reselling them). I’m so if my family and friends always saw these crazy stories, they would think what’s up? So if you’re not selling at such a volume like a reseller, and have legit reasons to sell stuff otherwise, then I think using your own name would be fine.

Oh, and are used to completely fictitious first and last name. And I used a yahoo email address that’s more or less a Throw away.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 23, 2021 04:45PM
Making a minimalist profile only protects you from other users. Faecesbook will use about 20 different deep tracking methods to cross-reference exactly who you are. The only way to stay really anonymous is to make the profile with a burner phone and never use it--or even have it turned on--at home.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 23, 2021 05:13PM
it is turning out to be a great place.

Just create a fake gmail. you do need to be able to access it. And you might need to make a real account if you want to pay via Venmo or even the FB marketplace app.

Its ok to have a FB account -- just turn off *everything* and lock it down. no one will find or bother you.

We have scored some *incredible* deals in the last months heading to the new house... for example:
1) Tommy Bahama branded coffee table --like 40" square all wood -- I cant even lift it. $45... new was near $1500. kinda beat, wife chalk painted it, looks amazing.
2) Panama jack buffet side table -- also near $1500 new, real wood, super heavy, looks near perfect, $150
3) Genuine Drexel heritage 9 drawer dresser -- easily $2500 new, $160.
4) brand new Restoration hardware full size bed. says $2800 on web site. Never assembled. had a quarter hole in the rattan on the footboard. $400.

smiley-score010

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 23, 2021 05:41PM
rz
My wife uses Facebook, so I haven't needed to create an account. We've sold several things on it recently. Seems to be better than Craigslist. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to browse it without an account

Similar situation here. My wife and daughter use Facebook. But I thought I recall being able to browse Facebook Marketplace without signing up, since that's where I found the bike I ended up buying. However, I couldn't respond to ads. So I did all the corresponding with the seller using my wife's login credentials. I ultimately signed up myself but with minimal info, and the only thing I ever use it for is to occasionally check the Marketplace.

BTW, I signed up just for the Marketplace, but if you do the same, bear in mind that you can't use the Marketplace right away. Some time has to go by before you can, though I can't tell you how long exactly.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 23, 2021 07:17PM
Make an account with a throw away email. Last thing you want is FB profiling what you like to buy ro sell.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 23, 2021 07:50PM
pRICE cUBE
Make an account with a throw away email. Last thing you want is FB profiling what you like to buy ro sell.

What, so they can serve me targeted ads and sell my info like the rest of the free market has been doing for decades? I've given up on avoiding facebook. I just resist the temptation to express my opinions and I unfollow anyone who exhibits excessive stupidity in theirs.

Facebook has become a great place to trade for hobby items now that eBay's fees have sucked every penny out of the profit margin on used goods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2021 07:53PM by Acer.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: March 24, 2021 07:58AM
Use your secondary e-mail address for your spam and sign up for facebook... Lock down your profile and don't add any friends. Use your real name and city.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 24, 2021 10:19AM
Face it. FB and Google already know everything about you unless you have been living in a cave on a desert island for the last 20 years.

Just sign up for an account and use it to sell (or buy) stuff and nothing else.

There are some great deals to be had in Marketplace, and because people use their real account, you don't get all the craziness of other platforms.

I just bought a Stainless Steel Weber Genesis BBQ (original not v2) for $350 that had literally been used 1time for a dinner party, then stored in a garage for the last 2 years.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 24, 2021 01:02PM
Harbourmaster
I just bought a Stainless Steel Weber Genesis BBQ (original not v2) for $350 that had literally been used 1time for a dinner party, then stored in a garage for the last 2 years.

smiley-music039

Yeah, cant believe the deals. Guess I will look for a BBQ now too. =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 24, 2021 01:13PM
That was quite a deal on the Genesis!!
Date: March 24, 2021 02:14PM
Thanks all for the tips...
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 24, 2021 10:57PM
Use a separate browser if you can for your FB account and nothing else is my advice!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 25, 2021 01:31PM
Nice Gennie, Ken! I’d suggest removing the cabinet doors. The reason why they went back to the original open-cart design a couple years ago is because that cabinet will rust away from trapped air.

pRICE cUBE

In my experience Marketplace lamely targets me based on search history only. And I never click on much of anything in the regular feed and see that reflected elsewhere.

It’s Amazon who tracks me onto other sites and shows me ads for stuff I recently looked at on Amazon. Pointless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020