advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Volcano, smallcano
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 23, 2021 11:30PM
Who cares if it suddenly decides to flow twice as much lava.

And there is drone footage.

[www.theverge.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Volcano, smallcano
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 23, 2021 11:54PM
Those kinds of volcanoes are no big deal. It's the explosive ones like Mt. St. Helens, or the ones with pyroclastic flows that are dangerous. I tried driving up Mt. Etna back in the mid 80's, but I could only get so far because I was in a big van. If I'd had a scooter like the Italians, I would gone much further than I did. It was kind of neat. The ground was actually sort of hot due to relatively recent flows. I stopped in a bar/restaurant on the way down, and the owner had a photograph on the wall showing just how close a lava flow had come to his restaurant. Sicilians just give Mt. Etna the middle finger. How else can you live in the shadow of a monster like that?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 24, 2021 07:24AM
......no.....cocaino.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 24, 2021 10:51AM
freeradical
Those kinds of volcanoes are no big deal. It's the explosive ones like Mt. St. Helens, or the ones with pyroclastic flows that are dangerous. I tried driving up Mt. Etna back in the mid 80's, but I could only get so far because I was in a big van. If I'd had a scooter like the Italians, I would gone much further than I did. It was kind of neat. The ground was actually sort of hot due to relatively recent flows. I stopped in a bar/restaurant on the way down, and the owner had a photograph on the wall showing just how close a lava flow had come to his restaurant. Sicilians just give Mt. Etna the middle finger. How else can you live in the shadow of a monster like that?

Regular sacrifices to keep Vulcan/Pele happy? Jug of wine, a good pizza, maybe a virgin or two if they're bratty ones?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 24, 2021 12:33PM
The real maths question on everyone's mind is: the area of how may car hoods is encompassed by that lava flow, in order to estimate how many cats sleep on the partially cooled lava flow every night.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 24, 2021 09:45PM
Freeradical is correct. There is a spectrum of volcanic lava compositions and the Icelandic and Hawaiian ones are on the basaltic and non viscous/low gas content end of the spectrum. This means that the eruptions are relatively predictable and not explosive. On the other hand, highly silicic volcanoes such as most of those running up and down the west coast of the Americas produce highly viscous lavas with high gas content, which tend to be explosive and result in catastrophic lava flows, or worse, superheated ash flows (nuee ardente) such as the one that destroyed Pompeii.

That said, I almost was sacrificed to Pele by getting way to close to the edge of a roiling and expanding lava lake on a geologic field trip to the eruptive vent at Kilauea in Hawaii some years ago.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2021 09:47PM by davester.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 24, 2021 10:05PM
Watching on my TV is as close as I care to get.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020