advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OS X - 20 years today
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 24, 2021 05:44PM
Today is the 20th anniversary of the launch of Mac OS X.

Interesting background read on how OS X came to be -- [www.macworld.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OS X - 20 years today
Posted by: hal
Date: March 24, 2021 06:03PM
Hard to imagine Apple still being alive if not for the fact that the ex CEO was standing by with an OS that could be reworked into a Mac OS.

But man, those early days were rough! I remember trying 10.0 on a test machine and it FAILED! It was no where near ready. When 10.1 came out, I backed up and upgraded figuring that it would be ready now. Nope... Nuked and restored from back up.

When 10.2 came out, I did the same, but wasn't nearly as confident. And after a few days ended up going back to OS 9.

10.3 is when I finally made the plunge and I just can't imagine how others made those early versions work.

I remember some that insisted that they moved to 10.0 on day one and never looked back - I just can't imagine how that went... I find it very hard to believe.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 24, 2021 06:30PM
I'd still be running OS 8.6 if they'd let me.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 24, 2021 08:48PM
I jumped in at 10.1. Read about a free hack that let you use 10.1 without having the 10.0 release installed. Got 10.2 free because my MIL was a teacher and they had a program that got it free for teachers. Finally broke down and actually paid for 10.3 when it came out.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 24, 2021 08:58PM
Tried 'em all, and as others, didn't stick until 10.3....

but still have the 500MHz G3'ed PM7300 that was part of the fun back then....
and it's running OS 8.1 & 8.6 on its respective internal Quantum 9GB U2WSCSI drives.
==
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 24, 2021 09:10PM
10.3 was the only usable version for most. And printing... Explains why 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 were considered such steps forward.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 24, 2021 09:22PM
“Jagwire” was the first worthwhile version of OSX in my opinion. Tiger remains my favorite - fast, supports Classic, just so much goodness.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 24, 2021 09:31PM
10.6.8 was the best
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 24, 2021 10:33PM
I got a 9500 in, I think, 1996. The college store ordered a bunch of 8500s but Apple shipped 9500s by accident, so they sold the 9500s for the price of 8500s and with the faculty discount it was a pretty good deal. Must have been Os8 back then -- not entirely sure if I started on Os7 because I really don't remember there being an Os7. Eventually went up to Os9, and that's when I found DealMac because I was looking for some advice on some glitch. Don't know if I ever zapped my PRAM, but that's what the usual suggestion was back then.

Followed the migration by other people to Os10 on DM, so I recall holding off for a while, but the older systems were no peach either, and were subject to the occasional freeze. I think we all did a lot of rebooting in those days, but also made fun of ctrl - alt - del on some other operating system that was also available at the time.

What I remember about going to Os10 was having an immediate hard freeze and calling Apple. Some nice person explained that the new Os was a lot more sensitive to hardware failures -- I checked the memory chips, found that one was bad, removed it, and everything suddenly worked. I don't remember whether reseating it worked or whether I had to buy a replacement, but the thing worked a lot better than Os9. My experience with a 2015 MacBook Air on more recent Os10s is that the system is rock solid and the additional speed allows me to do things (like look at YouTube and web pages) that would have been essentially impossible on the old hardware and the old Os.

One additional point. For this machine, I got a SSD upgrade to 1 Tb from OWC and it makes life easier because I don't have to worry about filling the previous 128 Gb memory. It's a little sobering to consider that 128 Gb would have matched the entire world's combined computer storage capacity a few years before the turn of the century.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 25, 2021 07:18AM
space-time
10.6.8 was the best

Agreed. Still use it in a VM.

I actually found 10.1 to be quite usable. Once I made the leap, I didn't look back.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2021 07:41AM
Snow Leopard was the 8.6 of OSX.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 25, 2021 10:20AM
space-time
10.6.8 was the best

I recently booted a 12 year old Mac using an external spinny disk drive with SL via USB2, and wow - it worked! It was quite snappy actually, and on a machine with only 5GB RAM. No spinning beach balls, still connected to the WWW, and opened apps just fine without an SSD.

W T H, Apple? How did we go from the slickness of SL to the absurdity that was Lion in only a couple years? And, in one of those 'do not try at home' warnings, do NOT try to boot a more modern OS off a spinny drive, even via USB3 - unless you want to play 'whack-a-mole' and SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLY open files or programs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 10:20AM by sekker.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 25, 2021 12:24PM
I remember the hullabaloo when System 7 came out.

Crap, I'm old.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 25, 2021 12:26PM
rz
space-time
10.6.8 was the best

Agreed. Still use it in a VM.

I actually found 10.1 to be quite usable. Once I made the leap, I didn't look back.

Oh yeah. Still running it on multiple dedicated systems that don't need up to date applications (a media server, arcade cabinets, etc.) to this day. Solid as a rock.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 25, 2021 01:54PM
OS 10.1.3 was the first I used as by then all the apps I needed were available natively (basically just web browsers and Office), and we started getting tech support calls for OS X. So I damn well needed to figure out how it worked and how to fix it.

The stability improvement over OS 9 was immediately apparent and once I upgraded by G4/450 to a DP G4/450, the OS was smooth as butter.

And then came the days of squeezing blood from a stone:

OS 10.4.9 (.11 was never dependable on this) on a PM 7500 G4/1GHz, 1GB RAM, 300GB IDE, PCI 128MB Radeon 9200, USB2, FW400, 100bT
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 25, 2021 04:48PM
Memories... [virtualdesktop.org]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020