advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
‘ Snowboarders escaped monster avalanche, but not the law ‘
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 25, 2021 10:05AM
‘ Tyler DeWitt and Evan Hannibal were slowly making their way down a windswept slope during a backcountry snowboarding excursion in Colorado last spring when the shallow snow beneath them shifted and broke loose.

“Avalanche!” shouted DeWitt.

Hannibal’s helmet cam captured the moment and the tense, profanity-laced exchange that followed as the slide near the Continental Divide gained momentum.

The experienced backcountry snowboarders weren’t injured, but the avalanche buried a service road in about 20 feet (6 meters) of snow and came dangerously close to Interstate 70, a major route for ski traffic. As soon as they were safe, the two men called 911 to report the slide and spent two hours at the scene describing what happened. They shared the video and offered to send photos. They thanked investigators for showing up. Hannibal described the interaction as cordial.

Weeks later, the snowboarders were stunned when they got word they were being charged with reckless endangerment. ‘

[news.yahoo.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘ Snowboarders escaped monster avalanche, but not the law ‘
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2021 10:06AM
.....I fought the law.....and the law won......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 25, 2021 10:42AM
More evidence that the modern police are NOT your friend, NOT on your side, and there is good reason to NOT talk to them. Don't answer questions they ask without a lawyer.

I wish things had evolved differently, but that's where we are in this country at the moment.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2021 10:51AM
Another example of abuse of "prosecutorial discretion".
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 25, 2021 10:52AM
If these guys were snowboarding in an area that was classified as off-limits, they are responsible for what happened.

If they weren't, then they aren't. A good lawyer will likely be able to get the charges dismissed before this ever sees the inside of a courtroom. @#$%& happens in nature, after all.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 10:54AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2021 10:53AM
Could be another example of abuse of "prosecutorial discretion" but there's not any thorough explanation of avalanche mitigation schemes in the story. Not enough to draw any real conclusions.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 25, 2021 11:15AM
If they were in an area declared off limits, then they should be prosecuted. Period.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: March 25, 2021 11:30AM
Hard to take a side here. Mostly, I find myself angry with the prosecutors' zeal to make an example of these guys, but I also don't have much sympathy for the snowboarders. Contacting the authorities and cooperating as they did does not absolve them of guilt, but it should factor into any fines or punishment.

I disagree with the DA. A heavy-handed punishment WILL discourage people from doing the right thing. I wonder if her "personal constitution" can live with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 11:31AM by datbeme.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 25, 2021 01:49PM
Contacting the authorities and cooperating as they did does not absolve them of guilt, but it should factor into any fines or punishment.

I agree.

Nobody hurt, all good, we should walk...

They knew there would be nobody on the service road.

They knew if there were an avalanche, it wouldn't affect the interstate.

It's not like it was their fault, it was just coincidence, amirite?

No.

The DA can exercise all the zeal she wants, but she doesn't have the final say in sentencing.

And yes, if you commit a crime, don't expect the police to be your buddies.

I'm surprised no one has posted in earnest 'lucky they weren't black or they'd have been shot'.

Or if they were black, "lucky they weren't shot'.

Since race of either 'side' hasn't been posted, it may be a little early to jump to conclusions, LOL.

The 'boarders took responsibility for their actions and that's not commendable, that's what should be expected.

That's not an entitlement for free pass, which they obviously expected.

So yes, if they weren't somewhere they weren't supposed to be, I'm sure that'll be cleared up and the crazy, overzealous DA will be rebuked accordingly.

That would be wholly irresponsible on the part of the DA, charging them with a crime that couldn't have been foreseen, i.e. an accident.

If they were culpable by virtue of trespass, i.e. committing a crime, may the judge render appropriate sentencing.

Maybe others will put a little more thought into where they play than 'Dude ...trouble if the cops show up'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 25, 2021 02:18PM
Similar avalanche control system was in place in an area that I’ve skied for many years:

[skiingthebackcountry.com]

[jacksonholemagazine.com]

[www.outsideonline.com]

(Recently replaced by a newer system)

[www.tetongravity.com]

Only a small area close to the devices was closed in that area. Unclear if this was also the case in this instance. It sounds like a large part of the problem was the large nature of the slide.

It also seems like the prosecutor is making the point that there was an elevated chance of avalanches, and that the skiers used bad judgement. Again, unclear.

If the area was closed, then they should be held responsible. If avalanche forecasts were for extreme danger, and the skiers ignored that, then they should also be held responsible.

However, any slope of a certain pitch can slide, with or without human triggering, despite the forecasted risk level. If the danger was high, why weren’t the devices employed?

Still much to be ascertained.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 02:30PM by btfc.
Date: March 25, 2021 02:22PM
“ I'm surprised no one has posted in earnest 'lucky they weren't black or they'd have been shot'.

Or if they were black, "lucky they weren't shot'. ”

Really?

You’re surprised?

Really??
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 25, 2021 03:55PM
Nowhere in the article is it claimed that the snowboarders were trespassing. If they had been, it would be the first thing I would expect the DA to say.

And there is something illogical in charging them for damage to the avalanche mitigation system. Shouldn't an avalanche mitigation system, deployed in an avalanche zone, be built in such a way as to mitigate avalanche damage to itself?

What do the authorities do if they detonate one of the mitigators, and the resulting avalanche destroys the other mitigators? Will they charge themselves for triggering an avalanche that turns out to be bigger than they expected?

Or had the authorities been negligent themselves for failing to proactively mitigate the conditions that enabled such a large avalanche to occur?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020