Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have a stinky litter box? I found something that helps, a lot
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 25, 2021 06:28PM
[smile.amazon.com]

I used to use this stuff to remove ammonia and odors from my fish tank. I was reading about using Zeolite to remove litter box odors and found out the same stuff works well added to the litter.

It is just carbon and Zeolite, so all natural. If you don't want to add to the litter box, you can put it in a mesh bag and put it near the box, which should also help. I did both.

We use the Swheat Scoop flushable litter, but it even has a slight scent. It isn't bad, but it can smell a little fermented or something. Our bad boy kitty can make a real stink bomb of a pooper, and this stuff really helped with the one he just deposited. It also neutralized the slight smell of pee and the litter smell, that had been there, before dropped his bomb.

I put about 4 tablespoons in the box with the litter and mixed it around a little. I then put another half cup or so in an old knee high stocking, any permeable material bag should work, but it needs to be fine, so the charcoal dust doesn't come out, and put it behind the sink, near the box. I used to wash the charcoal dust off before I put it in the aquarium filter but, since this isn't going to be wet, I did not rinse it and there wasn't a lot of dust. You could also pour it through a sieve, if you wanted to get rid of some of the dust.

Anyway, I haven't had this in the box for long, but it does seem to help a lot, and I have a very sensitive nose. It doesn't cover up the odor or give it another scent, the odor is just gone.

Read the reviews at the Amazon link and you can see how other people use it for kitty litter boxes. Just filter the reviews by "litter" to narrow it down.
HTH someone. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have a stinky litter box? I found something that helps, a lot
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2021 06:32PM
.....only experience with....stinky tofu........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 25, 2021 06:34PM
Nice. Will have to give it a try.

Slightly cheaper on Chewy if you're willing to buy 50-oz and spending enough anyway to get free shipping: [www.chewy.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 25, 2021 06:43PM
[www.catgenie.com]

Bought 4 years ago, once a year I pressure wash it outside. Nothing else to do but throw a cartridge in every few months and top off the granules.

Wil never deal with litter ever again.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: March 25, 2021 06:59PM
C(-)ris
[www.catgenie.com]

Bought 4 years ago, once a year I pressure wash it outside. Nothing else to do but throw a cartridge in every few months and top off the granules.

That looks really cool, but I don’t have room for it. sad smiley

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 25, 2021 07:00PM
I have a Lysol Neutra Air dispenser over the litter box.

That, plus frequent scooping seems to do the job.

My friends have commented on how mine is the only cat-apartment they visit with no litterbox odor.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 25, 2021 07:10PM
We have an older cat that "drops a bomb" sometimes 2X a day... and smell so bad its amazing. We have tried different foods even.

Will give it a shot.

Wife litter box method is" plastic kitchen garbage bag around box, then paper bag in the bottom do they don't rip the bag when digging. Just pull off plastic bag inverting everything right back into it. No muss, no fuss.

EDIT: Dayum, $400? that's commitment.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 07:13PM by jdc.
Date: March 25, 2021 07:23PM
jdc
We have an older cat that "drops a bomb" sometimes 2X a day... and smell so bad its amazing. We have tried different foods even.

Will give it a shot.

Wife litter box method is" plastic kitchen garbage bag around box, then paper bag in the bottom do they don't rip the bag when digging. Just pull off plastic bag inverting everything right back into it. No muss, no fuss.

EDIT: Dayum, $400? that's commitment.

Well worth it to not have to deal with hauling litter in and out and cleaning the litter box. Plus it runs right after they use it, so it doesn't ever smell and I don't have to buy litter, but the cartridges and granules probably make that a wash.

EDIT: I have the $289 version that isn't connected to my smart phone. I don't care when the cats use the litter box nor do I want to know...

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 07:25PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 25, 2021 08:55PM
C(-)ris
[www.catgenie.com]

how do you convince the cat to go poop in it?
Date: March 25, 2021 09:06PM
space-time
C(-)ris
[www.catgenie.com]

how do you convince the cat to go poop in it?

Was a non issue for us. We put it right where the old litter box was and the cats figured it out.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 26, 2021 09:32AM
C(-)ris you should be ashamed of yourself.!
What self respecting cat servant doesn't want to wait on their master(s) door, mouth and poop!
Even as I write, O is blocking mt access to the keyboard as I haven't spent enough of my pre-noon time with him.

For those of us in the commercial food cycle, try DIY. Healthier and, unless using the inexpensive stuff, way cheaper.
Takes me 15 mins to make a pound of food. I'd make more at a time if we had more storage in the freezer.

The resulting steamers are much less atmospheric polluters.
Though fortunately, O mostly likes the feel of soil under his paws.

[catinfo.org]

!#$@@$#!

Date: March 26, 2021 11:15AM
Fritz
C(-)ris you should be ashamed of yourself.!
What self respecting cat servant doesn't want to wait on their master(s) door, mouth and poop!
Even as I write, O is blocking mt access to the keyboard as I haven't spent enough of my pre-noon time with him.

For those of us in the commercial food cycle, try DIY. Healthier and, unless using the inexpensive stuff, way cheaper.
Takes me 15 mins to make a pound of food. I'd make more at a time if we had more storage in the freezer.

The resulting steamers are much less atmospheric polluters.
Though fortunately, O mostly likes the feel of soil under his paws.

[catinfo.org]

We use a raw diet, frozen stuff from Blue Ridge Beef, with our bad boy, but he gets constipated on it, so we have to supplement with pumpkin and flax meal. We also give a little bit of Blue wilderness grain free canned mixed in. That combo seems to make for very smelly loads. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 11:31AM by rgG.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 26, 2021 01:13PM
We have 5 cats, so I'll definitely be looking into this. Thanks!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 26, 2021 05:54PM
We use Pelletized Bedding from Tractor Supply that is made for horse stables. It is pelletized pine dust that breaks down and absorbs as it is used. It really has cut down (virtually eliminated) the odor from our two cats.

and $6 for 40lbs

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 28, 2021 10:38AM
Fecal matter gets scooped out and flushed via the toilet next to the litterbox.

Litter clumps from urinating go in the trash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 10:39AM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020