advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Synology support
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 25, 2021 09:09PM
I've noticed their structure has changed over the years. They used to have user forums but I don't see them anymore. My experience there years ago wasn't great anyway. As in, a why-you-doing-it-that-way attitude.

But the user guides are um, kinda buried overall and instead of concise steps I see a lot of "FAQ" type of stuff, or steps that assume the steps will work or be relevant.

I fixed the issue I had by deleting one of their apps from within the DSM interface and reinstalling it. But that's basically trial-and-error.

I want to buy a faster NAS and overall like Synology but I'm having second thoughts. Years ago I bought the cheapest model, it was all I could afford, and the thing is so painfully slow with just basic reboot, login and usage tasks it makes me wonder why they ever allowed the current OS and apps to run on it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Synology support
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 26, 2021 06:38AM
Did you look at their Community?

I like my Synology. I wish that I had the skills to make better use of some of it's features. Their Video Station used to support DVR from Silicon Dust products, but that appears to have gone away, which is a shame.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 26, 2021 07:12AM
I have been using Highpoint for almost 20 years. First on G5 power Macs with their PCI-X cards and currently using their TB3 externals connected to a 2018 Mac Mini.

Been solid, rock solid. East to use web interface. For tech support you ask a question and within 24 hrs get a reply that has been extremely helpful.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 26, 2021 07:20AM
Synology@Amazon $99.99

Right there with ya. Arrives tomorrow.

There are a lot of STUPID people out there writing Reviews. Amazon batches them all together and unless the person mentions which unit they are reviewing it could be single bay, double bay, you get the picture.

Years ago I had a MyBook hooked to the Airport and used as a TimeMachine. I struggled with Airport Utility and over time and Many nearly correct attempts I got it working.

All of that is gone and I am ready to attempt again with Synology. I read the Buffalo and WD reviews and a few off the wall entries and went with the pretty white one that does not communicate with the cloud.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 26, 2021 07:42AM
.....synogogue...???

....but I'm not Jewish.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Undun
Date: March 26, 2021 08:25AM
The most glaring shortcoming of synology is the inability to increase the ram in the unit. Unfortunately, two years ago, I went with synology (for ease of use) vs. qnap. That was a mistake. Wish that I had gone with the ability to increase ram with qnap. I didn’t notice it immediately, but two years later the lag on the synology is irritating, to say the least.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 26, 2021 09:53AM
Its worth considering using a Raspberry Pi instead if you're up for the project.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 26, 2021 09:59AM
This Synology is entry level with 512 RAM.
LinkStation 200 series is 256 RAM.

Acer's ramsome ware on Qnap.

Say no to the cloud.

iCloud use is limited to calendar contacts notes Safari Find my Mac and Mail. Phone stuff!

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 26, 2021 11:30AM
macphanatic
Did you look at their Community?

Thanks. That's what I thought was gone; I never saw a link to that on their site nor mentioned in their Support pages. Perhaps I was just tired last night. I appreciate it.
Date: March 26, 2021 11:35AM
Bernie
Synology@Amazon $99.99

Right there with ya. Arrives tomorrow.

You're right there with me more than you think.

Mine is the predecessor to that one, a DS115j with half the RAM and a slower processor that pegs right to 99% usage whenever you ask it to do anything, such as opening and viewing directories. Launching apps takes a dog's age. I'm glad it beeps to let you know you've successfully booted it, because looking at the interface or watching to see if a network process dependent upon it suddenly works is like watching grass grow.

"Underpowered" doesn't begin to describe it. But it wasn't so bad at first, since it was the first one I'd ever bought I guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020