advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my heroes have always been cowboys?!.....RIP: Larry McMurtry [ novelist/screenwriter ] at 84......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 26, 2021 11:55AM
....no cause listed.......'Lonesome Dove'......'Brokeback Mountain'.......etc....

Larry McMurtry, Novelist of the American West, Dies at 84

In “Lonesome Dove,” “The Last Picture Show” and dozens more novels and screenplays, he offered unromantic depictions of a long mythologized region.

....Larry McMurtry, a prolific novelist and screenwriter who demythologized the American West with his unromantic depictions of life on the 19th-century frontier and in contemporary small-town Texas, died on Thursday. He was 84.

The death was confirmed by Amanda Lundberg, a spokeswoman for the family. She did not specify a cause or say where he died.

Over more than five decades, Mr. McMurtry wrote more than 30 novels and many books of essays, memoir and history. He also wrote more than 30 screenplays, including the one for “Brokeback Mountain” (written with his longtime collaborator Diana Ossana, based on a short story by Annie Proulx), for which he won an Academy Award in 2006.

But he found his greatest commercial and critical success with “Lonesome Dove,” a sweeping 843-page novel about two retired Texas Rangers who drive a herd of stolen cattle from the Rio Grande to Montana in the 1870s. The book won a Pulitzer Prize in 1986 and was made into a popular television mini-series.

Mr. McMurtry wrote “Lonesome Dove” as an anti-Western, a rebuke of sorts to the romantic notions of dime-store novels and an exorcism of the false ghosts in the work of writers like Louis L’Amour. “I’m a critic of the myth of the cowboy,’’ he told an interviewer in 1988. “I don’t feel that it’s a myth that pertains, and since it’s a part of my heritage I feel it’s a legitimate task to criticize it.’’

But readers warmed to the vivid characters in “Lonesome Dove.” Mr. McMurtry himself ultimately likened it, in terms of its sweep, to a Western “Gone With the Wind.”......

RIP.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 12:15PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my heroes have always been cowboys?!.....RIP: Larry McMurtry [ author ] at 84......
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 26, 2021 12:09PM
“ a herd of stolen cattle “

Is that correct?
Re: my heroes have always been cowboys?!.....RIP: Larry McMurtry [ novelist/screenwriter ] at 84......
Posted by: RE:up
Date: March 26, 2021 07:57PM
I always liked these guys.
Sounds about right to me;

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020