advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a mattress
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 26, 2021 12:30PM
Wow, I don't think we've had this discussion in awhile! My mattress sides have broken down and there's a definite dip. Unpleasant. We have one of those beds where the head and feet can be elevated so we are really JUST looking for a mattress and not a box spring. I think the top needs are strong sides that won't break down quickly and not too hot. What would be your recommendation?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a mattress
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 26, 2021 12:47PM
Ugh. I was debating asking a similar question about a week ago, so I'll be curious to see the replies. As always, they'll run the gamut. I believe I will always be miserable because I refuse to spend $1k on a mattress. Hell, I don't even want to spend $500.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 26, 2021 01:02PM
Make sure you can return it, like at Sam's or Costco. I think you can return some that come by mail or UPS, but read the fine print.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 26, 2021 01:06PM
Everyone is different, the only thing you can do is try them out and try and guess what you might like.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: rz
Date: March 26, 2021 01:25PM
wurm
Ugh. I was debating asking a similar question about a week ago, so I'll be curious to see the replies. As always, they'll run the gamut. I believe I will always be miserable because I refuse to spend $1k on a mattress. Hell, I don't even want to spend $500.

Well, they say you should replace your mattress every 8 years. At $500, that's about $0.16/night. I'm willing to pay a little more than that to get a good quality mattress, considering I spend almost 1/3 of my life sleeping.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 26, 2021 01:41PM
Been buying from these folks for over a decade; very happy with their mattresses:

www.bedinabox.com

Got this from Bezosville; it’s ok but not nearly as nice. Needed a foam topper for a good nights sleep; with the topper, it’s fine:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 26, 2021 01:57PM
We got a $250 foam one from Amazon, put a softer topper on it ($65) and it is fine. They last about five years (so 16 cents a night)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 26, 2021 02:24PM
We REALLY like our Airweave mattress. EXTREMELY firm.
[airweave.com]

Bought it a couple of years ago. they have changed a bit, but I would absolutely go back when it's time to replace.
Posted by: kj
Date: March 26, 2021 02:45PM
If you could pay more and actually get more, I would, but I did, and found that what I paid for was not actually any better quality. Mattress sales are very scammy, so I would just get something cheap and replace when necessary, as several have said.

We got one of the much hyped "tuft and needle" mattress, it didn't wear that well, and we recently got it cut in two at a custom upholstery place in town, and I was peeved to see the quality once all the covers were taken off. Just a generic chunk of foam. He showed me foam he had in bulk that was identical. A chunk bought from him and a nice mattress cover would have cost a tenth as much. And just as "Made in America".

One thing I'll say, is we also had him cut a thick tempur-pedic topper, and he said it was a huge cut above in quality. He had similar foam, but it wasn't much cheaper. That said, it was so stiff it hurt my body, but if you like that kind of memory foam, it is good quality (that costs more).
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 26, 2021 02:55PM
It might be worth it to take a 1 month subscription to Consumer Reports to check out their mattress recommendations. Here is one of the cheapest foam mattresses they recommend that Costco carries, but there are others in that price range:

[www.costco.com]

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 02:56PM by Ammo.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 26, 2021 03:14PM
kj
A chunk bought from him and a nice mattress cover would have cost a tenth as much.

This is actually a thing. The local foam wholesale place does a big business in mattresses. They will built a high quality foam sandwich customized (different firmness/thickness) for you, same day, glue it and put it in a nice cover. And band it so it will fit in the car. The price of the foam floats a bit with the price of petroleum, but it is better quality than the internet choices.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2021 03:17PM
Went to macys, tried them all, then bought the same thing from Wayfair for 1/2 the cost.

We also have an adjustable base, cal king, and went with 2 twin XLs for individual adjustment.

It was a name brand pillow top, plush, and comfy... sorry will have to get the name later. Serta or Searly, was near $900 for the pair

For our new house, we went with full size vs twin for the kids, and the wayfair sleep bed in a box was highly rated -- 4.7 with near 10000 reviews. We haven't opened them yet... still 6 days to keys. =)

[www.wayfair.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 26, 2021 03:57PM
Still a huge fan of my Taladay latex mattress seven years after purchase. Definitely not the cheapest option, but it feels as good today as the day I bought it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 26, 2021 05:29PM
bought one of these 7 years ago. It's on a platform bed. Been good for both of us.
Sleeps cool, firm but not too much.
Paid $600 then.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 27, 2021 06:48AM
We bought memory foam mattresses from Bob's a few years ago - at the time, highly rated by Consumer Reports. They have been great - comfortable, no sagging.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 27, 2021 09:41AM
Consumer’s Reports number one pick was Avocado Green. (No, not the appliance color from the 70’s).

Not sure where you get it (or try it out).

PS- Am I the only one who likes soft, pillowy mattresses? Seems like everything out there is like, firm, extra firm, or ultra firm.

Why not just sleep on a board?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 27, 2021 10:20AM
From Avacado site...

GOLS organic certified latex sustainably harvested from organic rubber farms that we own; GOTS organic certified wool, prized for its cooling and moisture wicking properties, from a herding collective that we own

I get organic for eating, but a mattress?

BTW - a queen is $1500

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 27, 2021 10:59AM
Davemchine,

Start here:

[www.sleeplikethedead.com]

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2021 11:00AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 28, 2021 12:27AM
Here is a morally ambiguous answer.

Many of the expensive online mattresses (Casper, TempurPedic, Purple) have 100 day trials. You could do almost a year free on just these three. Then get one you want.

I love an extremely firm mattress. When I was single I had a mattress made of wool with a foam core. It was actually a futon mattress on my bed. It slept cool and felt like wet sand. My girlfriends hated it ( a good thing, kept them from trying to move in!).

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020