advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Saw my first Mustang Mach-E
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 26, 2021 01:25PM
Hmm. Not sure on that. I guess it works for the crowd that needs an SUV, instead of a wagon, but I'd rather a nice wagon. And make it square!

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Saw my first Mustang Mach-E
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 26, 2021 01:31PM
glad to see ford making an EV

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2021 01:38PM
Ive seen about 4-5 in the last few weeks -- lots of teslas out here in CA, barely get a blip.

STILL don't know why we arent just building everything as PHEV.

I would dig it if my XC 90 had a 100 mile electric that I could choose as my primary, but switch to gas for anything longer. We really don't need ALL electric.

they have a plug in hybrid... but 18 miles on the battery and no way to use battery only --. near useless.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 26, 2021 03:48PM
mattkime
glad to see Ford making an EV

Inevitable, but why, why, WHY call it a Mustang?!? Seriously, it has nothing whatsoever in common with actual Mustang cars except for a few Ford logos. Although it wouldn't appeal to me personally I could see Ford testing the waters by offering a parallel hybrid option in conventional Mustangs, sure, but to slap the Mustang name on yet another five-door Ford SUV that is also electric seems like a very bad idea from a marketing standpoint. Way to @#$%& out and needlessly dilute the one model name you have left with any loyalty to it, Ford.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 26, 2021 04:26PM
TSS - you clearly have not driven a good EV, or the answer to why it's called a Mustang would be apparent to you. They are fast and fun to drive.

And did I say they are fast?
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 26, 2021 05:05PM
sekker
TSS - you clearly have not driven a good EV, or the answer to why it's called a Mustang would be apparent to you. They are fast and fun to drive.

And did I say they are fast?

Hence my admission that an electric or hybrid drivetrain option might not be a bad idea in a real Mustang (a major concession for me). But, more than three doors = NOT a Mustang, and an SUV = DEFINITELY not a Mustang. If Ford decided to slap a Country Squire wagon or Expedition SUV badges on an otherwise unmodified Mustang would the Mustang suddenly become one of those? No, it would still be simply a regular Mustang with incorrect badging on it the same as this five-door electric SUV is in no way a Mustang no matter what the lettering on the tailgate says.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 05:07PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 26, 2021 05:29PM
PHEV is a bandaid solution at best. I LOVE my Volt, but I know that its days are numbered. It has all the best traits of EVs in addition to the best traits of ICE vehicles. The problem is that it also has the worst traits of both. In an ICE dominated market it's great because I get fantastic fuel economy but can still use gas if I need more range than 40miles. That 40 miles covers my usage about 90% of the time. For now, I'm in the 'it's great' part of the timeline. When the scales tip to a predominantly EV market...maybe 3-5 years...the Volt will be terrible because it will only have a 40mile EV range and there won't be any gas stations around to refuel that boat anchor ICE. As soon as EVs start dominating the market, 2030 at the absolute latest, gas stations will close faster than people can possibly imagine.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Mustang SUV is an oxymoron, and just WRONG.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 26, 2021 05:30PM
I'm not a big Ford guy, but I've always like many models of Mustangs, more than models of Camaros (Z/28s).

But no eV Ford sells is evocative of the Mustang, of any version.

I see the Ford eVs and think 'Tesla!'

The design of the car doesn't need to tell me it's an eV.

Make it look great first, then make it electric.

But it's all moot, as there isn't a Mustang that looks as good as the new Corvettes.

I wish Ford would bring back the earlier version of the Ford GT.

And really, the GT40.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 26, 2021 05:33PM
I hear ya z.

Its that 40 mile range... its kinda useless. Thats why I was asking for a 100 mile or so battery... not a giant 400 mile one =)

throw a battery 1/4 the size in my V, it will fit. =)

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 26, 2021 05:39PM
jdc
Its that 40 mile range... its kinda useless.

I always think this sort of statement is revealing of where or how people live.

Date: March 26, 2021 05:47PM
mattkime
jdc
Its that 40 mile range... its kinda useless.

I always think this sort of statement is revealing of where or how people live.

Since we are a suburban family -- we *could* prob do 40 miles without too much issue... but in a single day we might go over. 5 miles to school, 7 miles to Target, 7 more for costco + return trips = 40 miles easy. Take a trip to downtown for a meeting = 45 round trip. Ive considered an older leaf for my oldest @ 75 miles... and Im OK with that.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 26, 2021 05:47PM
The 40mile range is perfect...so long as there are gas stations available. 40miles is more than most people need most of the time. When all the gas stations start to close though, that ICE becomes a boat anchor and the 40miles is woefully insufficient.

jdc
I hear ya z.

Its that 40 mile range... its kinda useless. Thats why I was asking for a 100 mile or so battery... not a giant 400 mile one =)

throw a battery 1/4 the size in my V, it will fit. =)

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: March 26, 2021 06:10PM
ztirffritz
The 40mile range is perfect...so long as there are gas stations available. 40miles is more than most people need most of the time. When all the gas stations start to close though, that ICE becomes a boat anchor and the 40miles is woefully insufficient.

Right. Im thinking "in the future" when gas is farther apart.

Technically San Francisco is 108 miles from me... there's gotta be 1000 gas stations (more?) between here and there. 500 within 10 miles, and 500 in SF, but 40 miles out... and Im in no mans land. problem...

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 26, 2021 08:32PM
They called it a Mustang so it would get talked about as this thread demonstrates.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 26, 2021 09:08PM
I think they gave the Mach-E the "Mustang" name as it will be their EV performance leader. It is supposed to have a sub four second 0 to 60 mph time, but it's not really a "Pony Car" with an estimated weight of about 4,500 lbs.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 27, 2021 09:08AM
Jumping in late on this discussion...

TL;DR Getting our second Chevy Bolt next week, took a strong look at the Mach-E and passed

I purchased a used 2017 Bolt EV back in September. It has been a fantastic car at a very affordable price. One month after we purchased, GM issued a recall for Bolt EV's from 2017-19 due to the potential for a battery fire. After a couple of months, the proposed long term fix from GM was not a new battery, but a software update that would detect the possibility of a fire sooner.

A number of owners have opted to request a lemon law buyback for our Bolts. That includes me. Essentially GM will completely reimburse everything and take the car back, at least in California.

This gave us the option to consider other vehicles as a replacement. I am not interested in a Tesla. A friend had ordered an AWD Mach-E and took a pass on the delivery, and offered me the dealer contact. After reading reviews and looking at pricing, then seeing some in real life, I also took a pass.

So we will turn in the 2017 Bolt and pick up a new 2020 Bolt next week, for a cost of about 2k. Still feeling like the Bolt EV fits our needs best for now.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 27, 2021 04:11PM
Thrift Store Scott
mattkime
glad to see Ford making an EV

Inevitable, but why, why, WHY call it a Mustang?!? Seriously, it has nothing whatsoever in common with actual Mustang cars except for a few Ford logos. Although it wouldn't appeal to me personally I could see Ford testing the waters by offering a parallel hybrid option in conventional Mustangs, sure, but to slap the Mustang name on yet another five-door Ford SUV that is also electric seems like a very bad idea from a marketing standpoint. Way to @#$%& out and needlessly dilute the one model name you have left with any loyalty to it, Ford.

Agree! I will never call this Countr-E Squire a "stang"! Call it a Falcon, and Thunderbird or any other name. A mustang is not a station wagon or fake truck!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 27, 2021 08:00PM
That worked out pretty slick for you!

Markintosh
Jumping in late on this discussion...

TL;DR Getting our second Chevy Bolt next week, took a strong look at the Mach-E and passed

I purchased a used 2017 Bolt EV back in September. It has been a fantastic car at a very affordable price. One month after we purchased, GM issued a recall for Bolt EV's from 2017-19 due to the potential for a battery fire. After a couple of months, the proposed long term fix from GM was not a new battery, but a software update that would detect the possibility of a fire sooner.

A number of owners have opted to request a lemon law buyback for our Bolts. That includes me. Essentially GM will completely reimburse everything and take the car back, at least in California.

This gave us the option to consider other vehicles as a replacement. I am not interested in a Tesla. A friend had ordered an AWD Mach-E and took a pass on the delivery, and offered me the dealer contact. After reading reviews and looking at pricing, then seeing some in real life, I also took a pass.

So we will turn in the 2017 Bolt and pick up a new 2020 Bolt next week, for a cost of about 2k. Still feeling like the Bolt EV fits our needs best for now.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 28, 2021 02:49PM
Filliam H. Muffman
...it's not really a "Pony Car" with an estimated weight of about 4,500 lbs.

But “Clydesdale Car” just doesn’t roll off the tongue with the same je ne sais quoi!

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 28, 2021 09:22PM
Just curious: How many of you EV owners are getting tax subsidies (credits) for buying them?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020