advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MOGG files-download many of your favorite songs in multitrack audio recordings- Some Who Tracks Here.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 28, 2021 12:44PM
First off .mogg files, what are they? A file with the MOGG file extension is a Multitrack Ogg file used by Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and possibly some other video games. These files contain OGG audio files that are stored in such a way that each one can play separately or together with all the others.

I have always been totally consumed with Pete Townshend's guitar sound on Won’t Get Fooled Again. I had read the info available online in the past but came across this great post from Sweetwater Sound yesterday:
Iconic Guitar Tones: Pete Townshend Talks – “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by the Who:

[www.sweetwater.com]

That led me to these MOGG files and info on Youtube:

14 songs: Download The Who Master Tracks:
[youtu.be]

I now have Wont Get Fooled Again tracks and am going to be importing them into Pro Tools. Also I'm getting the joneses to finally buy a Gretsch G6120T-59 Vintage Select 1959 Chet Atkins:
[www.sweetwater.com]

I understand there are many other songs out on the interwebs, some taken right off the multitrack tape. Here's a list of songs that should be available:
[multitrackdownloads.blogspot.com]

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 12:46PM by JoeM.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MOGG files-download many of your favorite songs in multitrack audio recordings- Some Who Tracks Here.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: March 28, 2021 01:13PM
As a total Whomanoid (they're my all time favorite band though I don't listen to them as often as I used to), I sincerely thank you for the links!

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Re: MOGG files-download many of your favorite songs in multitrack audio recordings- Some Who Tracks Here.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 28, 2021 01:24PM
I don't have protools - can I somehow access these files?
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 28, 2021 03:59PM
Audacity should open them.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 28, 2021 04:00PM
btfc
Audacity should open them.

It does? Good to know!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 04:01PM by Rolando.
Date: March 28, 2021 04:07PM
hal
I don't have protools - can I somehow access these files?

Pro Tools won’t open them. You need the free Audacity. From Audacity you can export to .WAV and you’re good to go to Pro Tools.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 04:07PM by JoeM.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 28, 2021 05:09PM
Excellent, thanks, JoeM!

Date: March 28, 2021 05:35PM
Indeed - this is awesome! thanks Joe!
Date: March 28, 2021 07:36PM
You’re welcome guys! I already have a Pro Tools version up. I just may do a version with me playing with my boyhood idol, Pete! smiley-music039

If it comes out any good I’ll post a link.

JoeM
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 28, 2021 07:58PM
Yes, thanks!
Date: March 28, 2021 08:33PM
JoeM
You’re welcome guys! I already have a Pro Tools version up. I just may do a version with me playing with my boyhood idol, Pete! smiley-music039

I'll listen to it!

[edit] you should do some serious editing and turn the end into an extended jam with you and pete trading off lead runs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 08:57PM by hal.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 28, 2021 09:11PM
That sound is the sound of my youth, and for so many others too. Harmonic piled on top of crunchy harmonic. As a former frustrated recordist (I bought a book, and everything!) I liked the discussion about mic placement. Most people would never realize how that affects the sound or why.

These sorts of tracks swiped from video games are a lot of fun, and really the only legit way (well, they would be if we bought the video game ... ) most of these stems were ever made available.
Date: March 28, 2021 10:16PM
deckeda
That sound is the sound of my youth, and for so many others too. Harmonic piled on top of crunchy harmonic. As a former frustrated recordist (I bought a book, and everything!) I liked the discussion about mic placement. Most people would never realize how that affects the sound or why.

These sorts of tracks swiped from video games are a lot of fun, and really the only legit way (well, they would be if we bought the video game ... ) most of these stems were ever made available.

I did some reading up on them and now I’m a bit doubtful that they are legitimately available for download. When I downloaded them and opened them up I immediately thought it would be fun to mute Daltrey’s vocals and do a version substituting my lap steel for his vocals. I had done a version of Joe Walsh’s Rocky Mountain Way substituting my slide guitar for his vocals. But the difference was I recorded all of the tracks used. YouTube let me upload it with a disclaimer I put on the video but I’m not sure I could use actual Who tracks and add myself in with that being ok to upload. I still want to do it but I don’t think I’ll add it to my YouTube channel.

As far as mic placement, I thought that movable mic was great, never saw that before. When in used to work in audio doing music. I would have an assistant walk around with a mic as a musician was playing to do the same thing and also to check phase.

JoeM
Date: March 28, 2021 10:23PM
hal
JoeM

I'll listen to it!

[edit] you should do some serious editing and turn the end into an extended jam with you and pete trading off lead runs.

That’s a cool idea! So much of my style in the late 60s up to the mid 70s came from Pete’s playing. My HS band did a load of Who tunes. I’ll give it a shot and send it to you.

JoeM
Date: March 29, 2021 12:17PM
JoeM
hal
JoeM

I'll listen to it!

That’s a cool idea! So much of my style in the late 60s up to the mid 70s came from Pete’s playing. My HS band did a load of Who tunes. I’ll give it a shot and send it to you.

It's really unbelievably cool that you actually have the tools, the skill and the know-how to do that.
Date: March 30, 2021 11:22PM
hal
JoeM
hal
JoeM

I'll listen to it!

It's really unbelievably cool that you actually have the tools, the skill and the know-how to do that.

Thanks, I’ve actually forgotten quite a lot now but after 55 years of waffling around with this stuff I sometimes manage to get by, My setup is pretty stripped down but I have what I want at this point and having the gear to create the way I want to now is pretty neat. I started working on it today. I auditioned a bunch of amps and picked a Fender Bandmaster in Amplitube 5. Sounds really cool with Pete’s tracks since that’s what he used.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 433
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020