advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Long waits at restaurants!
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 29, 2021 04:42AM
I finally went to Chick filet Sat and their drive by at 2:00 was packed. Haven’t tried a restaurant but hear packed. Long waits to get a seat. Your experience?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Long waits at restaurants!
Posted by: DP
Date: March 29, 2021 06:06AM
Not quite that here in Michigan. Occupancy is still limited so some restaurateurs have space for overflow-even if that means they'll let in more people than "allowed"!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 29, 2021 06:27AM
Drive throughs have been crazy busy for months! We got a drive through Starbucks near the beginning of the pandemic (a novelt for this area - northern NYC suburbs - as there are very few drive throughs at all) and the line regularly seriously blocks traffic. I, personally, have too much dignity to wait in a line of cars for Starbuck’s coffee but apparently I am in the minority.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 29, 2021 07:14AM
We haven't got out for a sit down meal since early March 2020. We've done a little takeout but that's it. Restaurants around out part of NC look like business as usual, we can wait a while longer. My wife is an excellent cook.

Grateful11
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 29, 2021 07:19AM
We eat takeout on Fridays and Saturdays. The restaurants need our business.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 29, 2021 07:20AM
I took my wife out for a birthday outside dinner at a local restaurant Saturday night. We hadn’t been there since early last year. It was a good size group of diners but they were very understaffed and dinner was painfully slow.

JoeM
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 29, 2021 07:21AM
Went out on Saturday for brunch with my Wife. Drive thru line was packed. Resturant at full, but barriers between booths still there and masks still required!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 29, 2021 08:29AM
Just be careful. I know Texas is 'open' but the disease is not under control yet. I hope you've gotten vaccinated by now. I have younger colleagues in Houston and they are still isolating until they get the vaccine, and even then after it. They have two children, an infant and a toddler. No way they are risking their babies.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 29, 2021 08:31AM
....have not eaten out since March of last year.....will order take out but not sit in......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 29, 2021 08:34AM
'I'll have a Variant Burger and Stay Home fries'

foolish here in NYC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2021 08:36AM by Steve G..
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 29, 2021 09:04AM
Steve G.
'I'll have a Variant Burger and Stay Home fries'

foolish here in NYC

Maybe too early in thr season, but I heard the outdoor dining thing last year was pretty good in Brooklyn. What was it like in Astoria or Forest Hills?
Posted by: rz
Date: March 29, 2021 09:19AM
Chick Fil A always has an insane drive thru line. Not sure why, their food is "meh" at best. My kid used to like their chicken strips, but not so much anymore. He will only eat them if we go to a certain mall food court because he doesn't like any of the other restaurants there.
Date: March 29, 2021 09:23AM
.....yeah......always line at the one near me but find their food.....meh......

Date: March 29, 2021 09:28AM
Most places have outdoor dining around here (Queens). Cold windy weather for the rest of this week should put the kibosh on that.

See you outdoors the second week in April. Lots of areas have positivity rates of 10% and above. Staying inside is not a real good idea.
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 29, 2021 09:57AM
We've been out probably half a dozen times since restaurants have started opening up. At first it was just outdoor seating, but now it's mostly indoors. We feel pretty safe, since the restaurants we go to seem to be taking all proper precautions. Plus, there are rules in place such that masks are not to be removed until you're seated at the table. Plus, they're seating folks far enough apart and they use either disposable paper menus or QR code menus.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 29, 2021 11:36AM
I tried once to do the Chick-Fil-A Drive-Thru, but it was too much for me.
Mickey D’s, I do it about once a month (wasn’t impressed with the McRib, but the McFritters are ok)
A couple of UberEats here and there, but we have confirmed that the food we prepare is Fire!... that’s good, isn’t it?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 29, 2021 01:02PM
No idea - I'm not eating inside a restaurant until I'm fully vaccinated and immunized. That will be months from now...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 29, 2021 02:28PM
We went to Chick-Fil-A today for lunch. The car line was ginormous but I ordered with the app, paid with a stored gift card and when we got there I hit the, "I'm here button" and the young person came out momentarily with a smile. I'd never done that before. It's literally been a year since we've been to Chick-Fil-A because I wasn't going to wait in one of those lines. I'm not going to put my credit card into the app but a gift card seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 29, 2021 02:30PM
Michael
We went to Chick-Fil-A today for lunch. The car line was ginormous but I ordered with the app, paid with a stored gift card and when we got there I hit the, "I'm here button" and the young person came out momentarily with a smile. I'd never done that before. It's literally been a year since we've been to Chick-Fil-A because I wasn't going to wait in one of those lines. I'm not going to put my credit card into the app but a gift card seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I like the freedom of using Apple Pay when I'm doing mobile ordering....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 29, 2021 03:36PM
Even carryout has been crazy busy in my neck of the woods for the last year. That said, I ride my bike past full restaurants with tables at "normal times" close distance to each other - have noticed this at least since November. I don't understand how/why these people go inside to dine with a pandemic on when all the science says then and now, "Don't dine indoors in public" but sadly I guess they are largely unconcerned about themselves and others.

500k+ dead and counting, when is enough enough? It's not about living your life in fear; it's about stopping the virus while saving lives by not helping to spread it. I have a close friend with long-term Covid; she has a shadow of what her life was. This disease is horrific in all its forms. I say that not to be patronizing at all, it is out of genuine concern for so many vulnerable people.

I do carryout about once a week, sometimes more. The argument of "I have to dine inside to support the staff, etc." does not fly imo. If we all just sacrificed for a short time, we'd all be able to dine inside, etc. etc. again and support everyone. But I know that ship sailed a long time ago and isn't coming back. It's just been too politicized when that should've never, ever entered the discussion.

Yes, the vaccines do help and although I also miss my "regular life" terribly, I have no plans to resume indoor dining, concerts, close-contact public events, etc. anytime soon. I am not changing my masking/safety habits just b/c I am vax'd. At least not until the science is unequivocal about it.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 29, 2021 03:48PM
Until it hits close to home. Like really close to home. Most people still see covid as an abstraction. Something on the news. Something that happens to other people. Eating in a restaurant during this pandemic is so foolish. Eating in a semi-permanent tent or "shack" set up outside the restaurant is equally foolish. But people will be people... until it hits close to home.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2021 03:51PM
Went to In-n-Out Saturday after getting my second Pf, and it was packed.

They now have two lines for vehicles as does some McDonalds and other places, probably.

It's worse on weekends, but it always has a long line.

I've been to Chick-Fil-A three times and it's always, always packed, weekends (well, closed on Sunday), weekdays...

Both drive-thru and walk-in have huge lines.

I love In-n-Out and don't mind the wait, because the line moves, not as quick as I'd like but it moves.

Chick-Fil-A takes much longer to get through, most likely because of the varied menu and there are far more families in lines that In-n-Out.

Another favorite of mine is El Pollo Loco.

Lots of families, and a long line for the drive-thru but walk-in isn't popular for some reason.

It's a bit of a drive, but since I can order via browser (their app is terrible) that's my goto.

With a provision run to Costco, I don't go out much anyway.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 29, 2021 07:07PM
The few times I eat out, I NEVER go at standard "meal times". 3:00PM seems to be the "sweet spot" for "lupper" (late lunch / early supper). Covid numbers in more that a few areas are rising again (gee, what a surprise after "Spring Break" & Daytona "Bike Week" Super Spreader events) . Why take unnecessary risks. old fogey smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2021 07:39PM by testcase.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 29, 2021 07:50PM
d4
Until it hits close to home. Like really close to home. Most people still see covid as an abstraction. Something on the news. Something that happens to other people. Eating in a restaurant during this pandemic is so foolish. Eating in a semi-permanent tent or "shack" set up outside the restaurant is equally foolish. But people will be people... until it hits close to home.

Exactly! I lost a friend that was 65 and just retired a few years ago. No health issues that I know other maybe 30# overweight. He waited too long to get tested and when he was positive he waited until he couldn't go from the bed to bathroom before getting help. He lasted 3 weeks in the hospital. I know of 6 people that have died from Covid and/or complications from Covid. Sadly the worst case was a family that got together for Thanksgiving, someone there was a carrier, it killed the Grandfather and his Granddaughter. These were relatives of our very good friends.

We've probably went a bit overboard on avoiding people and staying safe. I'm personally to the point where if I have to go into a grocery store I start feeling a lot of anxiety. We don't allow anyone into our home.

Grateful11
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 29, 2021 07:56PM
We've discovered, and use restaurant apps; makes quicker work of many, plus in app deals can be enticing.
==
Date: March 29, 2021 09:26PM

Tom Waits at restaurant
Date: March 29, 2021 09:27PM
....unfortunately, many people are acting that thing are 'back to normal'......when they are not......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020