advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
M1/Big Sur combo won't recognize old Apple kb and MS mouse
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 31, 2021 09:24AM
Weird. I've got an extra Apple kb (wired) that's quite old but a favorite and a not so old MS bluetooth mouse and I can't get the M1 to recognize either. Any knowledge on which keyboards this thing will work with (I prefer wired but might succumb to BT)?

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 09:25AM by mrbigstuff.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: M1/Big Sur combo won't recognize old Apple kb and MS mouse
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 31, 2021 09:40AM
How old is old?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 31, 2021 10:16AM
Pretty old but it is white.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 31, 2021 10:18AM
1. Test the keyboard elsewhere. I've used lots of USB keyboards on M1 Mac minis with no issues.

2. Are you sure the mouse doesn't need a dongle?

Date: March 31, 2021 10:23AM
Mouse has a dongle and is not recognized while plugged into either the kb or the machine.

I should say that both "work" at a base level, but no F keys or shortcuts on kb and no right-clicking or function keys on mouse.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 31, 2021 11:16AM
Sarcany
1. Test the keyboard elsewhere. I've used lots of USB keyboards on M1 Mac minis with no issues.

Hell, I've used a PS/2 keyboard with my M1 mini with no issues.

The keyboard currently used with the mini is my trusty Apple Extended II keyboard. Works with no problem at all. Same for the Logitech mouse attached to it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 31, 2021 12:21PM
mrbigstuff
Mouse has a dongle and is not recognized while plugged into either the kb or the machine.

I should say that both "work" at a base level, but no F keys or shortcuts on kb and no right-clicking or function keys on mouse.

Yeah yeah been there and screwed it all.

Best of what I have read is you need to get the mouse controls out of system preferences and run it as a stand alone app. In the attempt to move my Logitech from here to there I lost a lot of different keyboard that I guess were tied to the Logitech environment.

For right now just ACCEPT the fact that all you will ever have is Left and Right click and Scroll.
surrender

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 31, 2021 02:23PM
Are you sure that the mouse batteries are good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2021 02:26PM by btfc.
Date: March 31, 2021 06:01PM
mrbigstuff

"Shortcuts..." Not sure what in context you're using that word. Shortcuts usually refers to Command-key shortcuts. I doubt that you're having problems with that type of shortcut.

FKeys should "work" in the sense that they are recognized as the corresponding keypresses, but the function keys specifically linked to iTunes may be broken under the Music.app. You may be able to remap them in the Keyboard settings in the System Preferences.

...You should be able to enable the right-click for the mouse in the Mouse settings in the System Preferences. If it doesn't detect that a right-click is available then you almost certainly need to enable mouse-features with a driver (additional buttons/wheels will certainly need driver-support) and most mouse drivers haven't been updated for Big Sur yet. Might use USB Overdrive ($20).

Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 31, 2021 06:08PM
USB Overdrive
New in version 5.0 beta 2:

Rewritten as a System Extension to work in Big Sur
Moved from System Preferences to the Applications folder

Moved from System Preferences to the Applications folder

That is what Kensington has done but Logitech has not.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 31, 2021 08:29PM
Sarcany
mrbigstuff

"Shortcuts..." Not sure what in context you're using that word. Shortcuts usually refers to Command-key shortcuts. I doubt that you're having problems with that type of shortcut.

FKeys should "work" in the sense that they are recognized as the corresponding keypresses, but the function keys specifically linked to iTunes may be broken under the Music.app. You may be able to remap them in the Keyboard settings in the System Preferences.

...You should be able to enable the right-click for the mouse in the Mouse settings in the System Preferences. If it doesn't detect that a right-click is available then you almost certainly need to enable mouse-features with a driver (additional buttons/wheels will certainly need driver-support) and most mouse drivers haven't been updated for Big Sur yet. Might use USB Overdrive ($20).

Nope, no option or command key function and the function keys are dead, too. Mouse is recognized as a mouse and clicks, but it's maybe 10 years old and nor coming up on the BT search under prefs.

Date: March 31, 2021 08:59PM
mrbigstuff
Nope, no option or command key function and the function keys are dead, too.

Didn't run that keyboard through the dishwasher, did you?

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 31, 2021 09:47PM
Are you sure that the mouse is Bluetooth and not RF?
Date: March 31, 2021 10:10PM
Sarcany
mrbigstuff
Nope, no option or command key function and the function keys are dead, too.

Didn't run that keyboard through the dishwasher, did you?

All letter keys work (and number pad) but when the prefs ask you to press a key to the right of the shift key to id the keyboard, nada. Also, the drop down menu for the kb prefs defaults to some bizarre generic keyboard. Looking online it seems thatb there are lots of similar tales, although with even newer keyboards.

Date: March 31, 2021 10:17PM
mrbigstuff
Looking online it seems thatb there are lots of similar tales, although with even newer keyboards.

I've seen a lot of complaints of dropped BT connections and USB devices disappearing.

I haven't seen anyone complaining of partial functionality with a wired keyboard.

Date: April 01, 2021 08:53AM
btfc
Are you sure that the mouse is Bluetooth and not RF?

it is RF, actually. my bad.

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 01, 2021 12:50PM
We have an M1 MBA, and it connects via RF to several different Logitech mice, and via BT to a recently purchased microsoft mouse just fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020